Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct etx2 filesystem ... etc issue

Default The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct etx2 filesystem ... etc issue

Hello

I have an old system working with linux, suddenly i have faced that issue that the system can not be booted again

im afraid to lose data so i still did not do anything with it
    Tried to ls the logs in side /var/log but im able to ls only the main root folder if i tried to go to inside /var folder for example im not able

The message that are repeatedly appear start with "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct etx2 filesystem ..... ends with try to use alternative superblock " i did not tried it yet cause im not have that experience that make me know what is the next step that i will faced it and im afraid to lose the data

you can see the issue in this attached photo

can you please help to understanding what im facing here and what is the solution for it

Default Re: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct etx2 filesystem ... etc issue

You choose OTHER VERSION for the first and most important information to provide when asking for help. You describe your system as "old system working with linux". That is not very helpful. Please tell which version you use so that others can at least try to imagine your environment.

When the superblock of a file system is damaged, it means that either it is corrupted (overwritten) by other software, or the hardware of the device (the disk) is damaged. As the superblock is the most important starting point for interpreting a file system's structure, it is a very severe situation. The only thing you can do is trying an fsck as the message says. It seems not to be your root file system, because the system is running (albeith in recovery mode).

Your picture does not show which partition this is about. The most I can see is /dev/sd.........
    So take a note what /dev/sdXN it is and then run
    Code:
    e2fsck /dev/sdXN
    As the message says, when this does not help, you can try
    Code:
    e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sdXN
    When this is all in vain, I am afraid you have lost your file system.
    A check on the disk hardware is then the first thing to do. When the disk still seems usable, then a new file system can be created (and the data restored from your backup), else the disk is for the dustbin.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct etx2 filesystem ... etc issue

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Thank you for your reply

I have tried to provide destrepution details and that what i did to figure it out
    also you can see in the picture below all commands outputs

http://a.up-00.com/2017/12/151349792636991.jpeg

http://a.up-00.com/2017/12/151349792758692.jpeg

http://a.up-00.com/2017/12/15134979285583.jpeg

http://a.up-00.com/2017/12/151349792984554.jpeg

Do you mean that you do not even know what Linux (distribution and version of it) you are running? You only show that kernel 2.2.16 is used, but the date is not complete (the year seems to start with 20, which can be as many as 17 years back).

Why are you doing things with /dev/, /dev/sd, and who knows what all before you settle for /dev/sda2? You should use the file that is mentioned in the original error message and nothing else. Do you want to destroy things? What is the correct device file as mentioned in the error message. I still do not know that.

In the error message in your picture there is a suggestion to use the alternative superblock and in my suggestion repeats that:
    Code:
    e2fsck -b .........
    Why do you use then
    Code:
    e2fsck -d ......
    Again, making such typos in such a situation can destroy more then you ever can repair.
    And when after that typing eroor, the tool tells you that -d isn't correct and shows you waht options are available, you still do not do the correct thing.

I do not understand the last picture, There is only some output, but no information about the command that was given.

You are doing all sorts of commands I did not suggest. I am sorry to say, but seeing what you did until now, if I were you, I would be very careful in typing commands I do not thoroughly understand.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Most important question: where are your backups of what is on the disk.
    Furthermore: please do exactly as Henk told you, if it's not already too late.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Do you mean that you do not even know what Linux (distribution and version of it) you are running? You only show that kernel 2.2.16 is used, but the date is not complete (the year seems to start with 20, which can be as many as 17 years back).
    yes i do not know the distribution and version
    and i used uname comaaned to let you see what im seeing if i tried to figure it.

Why are you doing things with /dev/, /dev/sd, and who knows what all before you settle for /dev/sda2? You should use the file that is mentioned in the original error message and nothing else. Do you want to destroy things? What is the correct device file as mentioned in the error message. I still do not know that.
    im trying to let you see the system status, and how can i make sure where is the system device located ?

In the error message in your picture there is a suggestion to use the alternative superblock and in my suggestion repeats that:
    Code:
    e2fsck -b .........
    Why do you use then
    Code:
    e2fsck -d ......
    Again, making such typos in such a situation can destroy more then you ever can repair.
    And when after that typing eroor, the tool tells you that -d isn't correct and shows you waht options are available, you still do not do the correct thing.
    sorry it seems i mixed between b and d

I do not understand the last picture, There is only some output, but no information about the command that was given.
    forgot to tell
    the last picture, it is the output of the command "dmesg"

You are doing all sorts of commands I did not suggest. I am sorry to say, but seeing what you did until now, if I were you, I would be very careful in typing commands I do not thoroughly understand.
    so could you please guide me through everything that you need and how to do it ?
    ill do what ever you need to provide and exacly the steps that you telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Most important question: where are your backups of what is on the disk.
    Furthermore: please do exactly as Henk told you, if it's not already too late.

actully im blind at this point and i keep asking but no one can provide it to me

and that what im going to do

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juseph1 View Post
    actully im blind at this point and i keep asking but no one can provide it to me

and that what im going to do
    Hi
    So, perhaps power down the system and contacting the local Linux User Group and asking someone to help out.....

Why run the command against /dev/xyz? There is no such device...

Please post a phote of;
    Code:
    lsblk
    It look like the file system is mounted since it's saying a read only filesystem?

AFAIK this is a RedHat 7 system based on the kernel.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hm, step by step (but no guarantee for any success).

In your first post above, you have a picture. On the third line it ends in:
    .... while trying to open /dev/sd
    Then the picture ends, but there are more characters on the screen.
    Please report back what exact is there /dev/sd??

===============

And like Knurpht, I realy think you better install a new Linux system somewhere and restore your backups there.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So, perhaps power down the system and contacting the local Linux User Group and asking someone to help out.....

Why run the command against /dev/xyz? There is no such device...
    do you think rebooting the system will solve this issue !!!

Please post a phote of;
    Code:
    lsblk
    It look like the file system is mounted since it's saying a read only filesystem?

AFAIK this is a RedHat 7 system based on the kernel
    ill post the photo when i get back to the system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast