Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removable USB Media Mount Problem

Default Removable USB Media Mount Problem

Background: I want to store important files from my desktop computer to a micro SD card that will be readable by my Galaxy Tablet for when I travel. I bought a 64gb MicroSD that is compatible with the Tablet and a USB card reader/writer that will connect to my computer.

Problem: After working for a short time, Dolphin now gives the following error message when I try to access the microSD on my desktop computer:

An error occurred while accessing '59.5 GiB Removable Media', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdb1: Command-line `mount "/tmp"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    Question: What do I need to do to correct this error?
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Blog Entries

Default Re: Removable USB Media Mount Problem

The card could be exfat formatted, and exfat tools aren't installed by default. See https://software.opensuse.org/package/exfat-utils
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

The link you gave shows 6 packages for Leap 42.2 with 1-click install. Should I install them all?

What about the non-zero exit status? is that important? Why is it in /tmp instead of /media?
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHoot View Post
    The link you gave shows 6 packages for Leap 42.2 with 1-click install. Should I install them all?
    Only install one. (Which one? Personally I'd take the one from "filesystems")

What about the non-zero exit status? is that important? Why is it in /tmp instead of /media?
    See if installing exfat tools works first...
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Only install one. (Which one? Personally I'd take the one from "filesystems")
    I followed the instructions after 1-Click "filesystems" and installed the repository on my system. Do I need to remove this repository after this problem is solved. All the warnings make me wonder...

I plugged in the card reader and got the same error message. What next?

Blog Entries

If it doesn't work, then you can remove the tools... But you can also delay that until you find some kind of solution.

A general observation on my part...
    I've generally always found that moving cards around from one machine unreliable and the card might become unreadable unexpectedly as you describe... And then the next thing I'm usually doing is reformatting the media which of course means that everything on the card is lost.

This seems to happen more often with "smart devices" like PCs, phones and tablets. Doesn't seem to be problem with "dumb devices" like cameras.

In fact, if you want to translate your error into layman's language, assuming the card has worked before in that machine it's saying that the file system is unreadable because the starting point of the file system can't be found... that information has likely been corrupted, so if the file system's info can't be found everything on the volume is unintelligible. I haven't explored whether there is a way to restore that superblock which could theoretically make the volume readable again (would be similar to restoring the MBR on a HDD).

So,
    Although I might initially load a card with files in a different machine, after that the card stays in its permanent home.
    I use other means to update the files on the card, like file transfers over a USB cable or network file shares.

But, that's my own personal experience,
    Maybe you'll find a solution and can keep switching cards between machines.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    A general observation on my part...
    I've generally always found that moving cards around from one machine unreliable and the card might become unreadable unexpectedly as you describe... TSU
    Thank you for the information. I am sure you are correct. My current experience confirms it.

I keep looking for a way to take the information on my computer on the road with me without sharing it with Google, Apple, Amazon or some other cloud storage provider. I simply don't trust them to keep it private and safe. Plus it takes a connection of some sort to access it which is often unavailable in remote areas.

The tablet is an old one (Galaxy 3) that I don't use anymore. By keeping the WiFi and cell connections turned off when the microSD is installed, it should be fairly secure from Google, the Android snoop. It isn't a big deal to reformat and reload the books, music, videos, pictures and reference manuals from my computer when I travel. They are all in a single directory and are updated regularly.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this without shuttling media like we once did with floppy disks at the office?

Cordially, TwoHoot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHoot View Post
    Thank you for the information. I am sure you are correct. My current experience confirms it.

I keep looking for a way to take the information on my computer on the road with me without sharing it with Google, Apple, Amazon or some other cloud storage provider. I simply don't trust them to keep it private and safe. Plus it takes a connection of some sort to access it which is often unavailable in remote areas.

The tablet is an old one (Galaxy 3) that I don't use anymore. By keeping the WiFi and cell connections turned off when the microSD is installed, it should be fairly secure from Google, the Android snoop. It isn't a big deal to reformat and reload the books, music, videos, pictures and reference manuals from my computer when I travel. They are all in a single directory and are updated regularly.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this without shuttling media like we once did with floppy disks at the office?

Cordially, TwoHoot
    You can Google "Galaxy 3 usb transfer linux" and get results. Some people have had to overcome issues but it can work.
    Otherwise, you can set up an FTP server, web server, or your choice of network file sharing on your openSUSE and then install a client app on to your Galaxy, then transfer files like any other networking file transfer.

The alternative is as you describe because mobile devices are generally set up to use cloud services for storage.
    If you prefer not to use a commercial cloud service, I guess you can set up your own Owncloud/Nextcloud or similar.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Did you consider using KDEconnect? It has an Android app, a KDE app and it's awesome to manage your phone, tablet etc.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    The card could be exfat formatted, and exfat tools aren't installed by default. See https://software.opensuse.org/package/exfat-utils
    A check in Yast software Management shows exfat-utils are installed.

What do I do next?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast