Thread: Audacity recording breaking up

Default Audacity recording breaking up

I don't know if this is an Audacity (2.2.0) problem or not. Recordings made via Mic or Line-In are often full of tiny 'silence' gaps. The fix is to change the buffer length in Preferences/Devices. Strangely it makes no difference to what, a single millisecond edit in either direction may do.

Default Re: Audacity recording breaking up

Using Audacity 2.2.0-14.1 (TW 20171206) and a buffer length of 100ms (unchanged default) I'm not seeing that problem. At least not for the line input, I don't use mic input.

Perhaps check the Audacity bugzilla https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/de...oduct=Audacity

Or consider raising a bug report yourself ( https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/en...oduct=Audacity ) if it's a bug you're able to reliably reproduce.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20180903) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected just for fun]

Rather intrigued by this, so investigated a little further.

Doh! ... If in doubt, read the fine manual, or consult the FAQ

This is not a bug per se. But rather means that Audacity cannot write the audio to disk fast enough to keep up with what it's recording. So it would be hardware dependent to a degree, hence you seeing the problem, I don't.

Take a look here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/f...uplications.3F
    Regards, Paul

Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5

Default [workaround found] Re: Audacity recording breaking up

Thanks. As I noted in the OP merely EITHER increasing OR decreasing the buffer length by 1 fixes the problem (I was using 110 btw as that gave me no latency problems without Jack). I now use Jack almost all the time. But you're right, the checklist in the manual is also useful. With my onboard card I was constrained to recording in stereo but with my new card I can record mono and that also takes the problem out right off the bat, which is a better way to do things.

spoke too soon, the problem is back unaffected

Full length of file shown in Audacity
    View-clipping OFF
    Software playthrough OFF
    Recording Mono
    Buffer 110
    Track shift -30
    Tons of spavce on drive
    renice qJackctl -10
    renice jackd -10
    renice Audacity -10

Quote Originally Posted by fitterski View Post
    spoke too soon, the problem is back unaffected
    I'd first try changing the buffer length again, but by larger amounts, try 200ms, 300ms, and although it may seem counter-intuitive perhaps reduce also, 50ms, or even 0.

Noted that you've changed the "nice" settings. Was it possible though at the time of recording you had some other processor or I/O intensive activity running, disk indexing for example?

I know this is not comparing like for like, but I've just been playing around on an AMD 64x2 5600+ system with 4G RAM and a rotational drive. Using all default settings and only changing the buffer length I don't run into skipping until I drop the buffer length down to around 40-50ms, and that's recording stereo 44100Hz 32-bit...

Never had any problems with this myself so not had reason to look at it before, I'm as in the dark as you are ...

Audacity has it's own user forum ( https://forum.audacityteam.org/ ) If you're unable to resolve the problem I'd ask there, those folk are likely far more knowledgeable.
    Regards, Paul

Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    I'd first try changing the buffer length again, but by larger amounts, try 200ms, 300ms, and although it may seem counter-intuitive perhaps reduce also, 50ms, or even 0.

Noted that you've changed the "nice" settings. Was it possible though at the time of recording you had some other processor or I/O intensive activity running, disk indexing for example?

I know this is not comparing like for like, but I've just been playing around on an AMD 64x2 5600+ system with 4G RAM and a rotational drive. Using all default settings and only changing the buffer length I don't run into skipping until I drop the buffer length down to around 40-50ms, and that's recording stereo 44100Hz 32-bit...

Never had any problems with this myself so not had reason to look at it before, I'm as in the dark as you are ...

Audacity has it's own user forum ( https://forum.audacityteam.org/ ) If you're unable to resolve the problem I'd ask there, those folk are likely far more knowledgeable.

Nicing reprioritizes but in this case has no effect. I tried 40 & 300 and default 100 all to no avail. I'm beginning to think it's a defaults issue but not necessarily buffer defaults.

- launch with 300... breaks up
    - edit to 110... no breaks

- launch with 100.. breaks up
    - change to 101... no breakup

- launch with 101... breaks up
    - edit to 99... no breakup

- launch with 60... breaks up
    - edit to 20... no breaks

- launch with 20... breaks up
    - edit to 10... no breaks
    - edit to 0... no breaks

- launch with 0 breaks up
    - edit to 1... no breaks

Seems that I get breakup on first attempt to record regardless of buffer pref in effect until I edit buffer length to any value.

I tried with qJackctl out of the loop and the symptom is gone. There are other symptoms with only Audacity running (sounds like a waterpipe) but that comes into play around a buffer length of 35 ms.

So, what do I have here, a Jack issue?