Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE doesnt connect to network after a few days

Default OpenSUSE doesnt connect to network after a few days

This seems to have happened to every opensuse machine i set up. I set up 3 different machines, each with multiple NICs and after a few days the network refuses to connect. running ifconfig shows the cables as connected, the switch sees the machines and the lights flash but both static and dynamic ip configuration dont work. Even with a static ip address, no traffic passes through.

At first i thought the hardware was unstable but after tweaking and testing this wasnt the case. The NICs all vary from intels to realtek and even mellanox SFP+. They all worked initially and after a few days of idling i just cant get the network to work anymore on the OS.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSUSE doesnt connect to network after a few days

First,
    Although you may not think so at first, be thankful that your problem is affecting multiple machines, it actually should make troubleshooting easier by limiting the kinds of causes to consider.

Next,
    You'll have to better detail what "doesn't connect to network" means.
    I think you're saying that your DHCP clients are still getting their network configurations.
    Have you tested whether each of your machines can ping another?

Can any machine ping an Internet address which would test basic network connectivity through your Internet Gateway router?
    Once you can verify basic network connectivity, have you tested name resolution?
    So for instance if you can ping a Google DNS server (8.8.8.8), you can then test name resolution by pinging some Internet address by domain name.
    If that fails, then you can then look at why your DNS name resolution has failed... Could be an upstream DNS server, could be something is blocking, could be something else.

If you run into problems interpreting the above procedure's results or narrow down your problem but still can't figure out how to solve, post again <with details>.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by System_Error_Message View Post
    I set up 3 different machines, each with multiple NICs and after a few days the network refuses to connect.
    running ifconfig shows the cables as connected, the switch sees the machines and the lights flash but both static and dynamic ip configuration dont work.
    Please explain a little bit more about your Network Interface Controllers:
    Your current information is indicating that you have at least 6 cable connections from 3 machines to a single switch and,
    the (single?) switch is seeing the machines.

• Is the switch an Ethernet switch?
    • Assuming that, the switch is an Ethernet switch, do the LEDs on the NICs and the switch indicated the current speed of the cable connections?

Usually the LEDs are green if the Ethernet is running at the maximum possible speed and orange if a lower speed is being used. For example, on a 1 Gbit/s Ethernet, the LEDs will be green if the segment is running at 1 Gbit/s and orange if the segment is running at only 100 Mbit/s.

• Is it really only a switch (an Ethernet switch) or, is it in fact a Router?
    • How are you connecting to the maintenance interface of the switch?
    • Where is the DHCP server located?
    • Do you have maintenance access to the DHCP server?
    • Which network manager is running on the openSUSE machines?

'Wicked' or 'Network Manager'?

• What is the 'systemd' status of the network services?

For example, on this machine it's as follows:
    Code:
     > systemctl list-unit-files | grep -iE 'network|wicked'
    dbus-org.opensuse.Network.AUTO4.service enabled
    dbus-org.opensuse.Network.DHCP4.service enabled
    dbus-org.opensuse.Network.DHCP6.service enabled
    dbus-org.opensuse.Network.Nanny.service enabled
    network.service                         enabled
    NetworkManager-dispatcher.service       masked
    NetworkManager-wait-online.service      masked
    NetworkManager.service                  masked
    wicked.service                          enabled
    wickedd-auto4.service                   enabled
    wickedd-dhcp4.service                   enabled
    wickedd-dhcp6.service                   enabled
    wickedd-nanny.service                   enabled
    wickedd-pppd@.service                   static
    wickedd.service                         indirect
    network-online.target                   static
    network-pre.target                      static
    network.target                          static
     >

Its a fully managed ethernet+SFP+ switch. Links are at 1Gb/s or 10Gb/s (SFP+)
    Theres no need to see the LEDs for colour, the link speeds are shown in the management interface. The switch is also a router too but i dont use it as a router, only as a fully managed layer 3 switch.

DHCP is handled by the router, in the log it says something about failing to give DHCP address to the mac address of the NIC. Its a mikrotik router.
    I have admin access to the router ofcourse
    Network manager is running on all the machines

I'll give the systemd status later as i have to physically go to each machine, plug in the mouse,keyboard and monitor.

None of the machines can ping each other or the internet. For instance i had a x2go session opened with 1 and it just timed out and wouldnt respond. The router has both static and dynamic entries for the machines. Other network clients all work fine be it windows, android or other. As i said i've tried static ip config on the machines, manually entering everything but even with the cable connected there still is no internet. Even restarting the machines, restarting the network service it still wouldnt connect.

Blog Entries

DHCP is handled by the router, in the log it says something about failing to give DHCP address to the mac address of the NIC. Its a mikrotik router.
    I don't think this is an openSUSE issue based on the information you've supplied so far. I would turn my attention to the Mikrotik router if I was in the same position. In particular the firewall configuration.

A similar thread....
    https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=126998

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I don't think this is an openSUSE issue based on the information you've supplied so far. I would turn my attention to the Mikrotik router if I was in the same position. In particular the firewall configuration.

A similar thread....
    https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=126998
    I did check the firewall. The issue may not be with the router. I have a sneaking suspicion the switch is to blame. It is a mikrotik switch and i sometimes get routing issues in layer 3 mode with auto learning.

I'll try and see around when i can but i have never had this problem with opensuse in the past. I used to run leap 42.1 24/7 on my file server with the same network config without any issue. All other machines run without any issue on the network side too.

Blog Entries

I did check the firewall. The issue may not be with the router. I have a sneaking suspicion the switch is to blame. It is a mikrotik switch and i sometimes get routing issues in layer 3 mode with auto learning.
    Yes, it could well be with that device too. Which Mikrotik device model are you using for switching? How is it configured for switching?

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, it could well be with that device too. Which Mikrotik device model are you using for switching? How is it configured for switching?
    Im using the CRS226 with qualcomm atheros switch. I bypassed the switch entirely and connected everything to the router and got no change either. the opensuse machines did not connect to the network. My router is a CCR1036 so all the ports are directly connected to CPU and even with seeing everything with software, configuring various layer 2 stuff, ensuring that there are no layer 2 filters/NAT changing the ARP, nothing works. All other machines work fine, its only the opensuse one that doesnt work on network.

In the router's log it says "LAN offering lease [ip] for [mac] without success" regarding the opensuse machines.

Blog Entries

Which RouterOS version is in use here? To simplify things, leave the switch out and try connecting an openSUSE client directly to the relevant client port? Same symptoms?

Blog Entries

The symptoms you describe read suspiciously like the RouterOS bug discussed here....
    https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=116963
    A translated page on the same topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast