Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Tumbleweed upgrades

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    280

    Default Tumbleweed upgrades

    Pardon my ignorance.

    I'm thinking of switching to Tumbleweed and have one question. Does it upgrade Kde (and other desktops) too? For example If it (Kde) was to go from 5 to 6 someday would I automatically get that or would I manually have to upgrade it myself somehow?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    16,713
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Swinyard View Post
    Pardon my ignorance.

    I'm thinking of switching to Tumbleweed and have one question. Does it upgrade Kde (and other desktops) too? For example If it (Kde) was to go from 5 to 6 someday would I automatically get that or would I manually have to upgrade it myself somehow?
    Tumbleweed re. KDE follows upstream. So, it will move to 6 when it's released,. Just stick to
    Code:
    zypper dup
    and don't use any other commands / apps to update,
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 07-Dec-2017 at 08:55. Reason: Fix quote typo
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me kow why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Just stick to
    Code:
    zypper dup
    and don't use any other commands / apps to update,
    I see this quite frequently, but not sure if I understand why tho? Dup is ignoring vendor/repo choice and pulls recommends as well. Could you explain/point me to a direction why dup is recommended on TW?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    16,713
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by nooke4000 View Post
    I see this quite frequently, but not sure if I understand why tho? Dup is ignoring vendor/repo choice and pulls recommends as well. Could you explain/point me to a direction why dup is recommended on TW?
    Yep. First, --no-allow-vendor-change is default on TW, since last summer. Second, dup is needed due to how TW updates: it's released over and over again, so you don't update just some packages, but you move to the next released snapshot. Zypper up will ignore downgrades ( which do happen once in a while ) or replacement of one package by another. This breaks things ( as we've seen in numerous posts in these forums and on the MLs. So, dup is not ignoring vendor changes made by the admin of a system. One can also use the --no-recommends option or make that the default in zypper.conf.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me kow why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Zypper up will ignore downgrades ( which do happen once in a while )
    One very recently in fact... 20171205 "docbook-xsl-stylesheets", not one that would completely break the system, but a downgrade nonetheless.

    or make that the default in zypper.conf.
    Unless "installRecommends = yes" has been uncommented in "zypper.conf" then zypper follows zypp.conf (solver.onlyRequires). So you probably would want to change it there ("/etc/zypp/zypp.conf").

    set "solver.onlyRequires = true"
    Regards, Paul

    Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20171214) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected just for fun]


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Don't use Yast online updater?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    16,820
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Swinyard View Post
    Don't use Yast online updater?
    No, not for TW.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Tumbleweed upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Yep. First, --no-allow-vendor-change is default on TW, since last summer. Second, dup is needed due to how TW updates: it's released over and over again, so you don't update just some packages, but you move to the next released snapshot. Zypper up will ignore downgrades ( which do happen once in a while ) or replacement of one package by another. This breaks things ( as we've seen in numerous posts in these forums and on the MLs. So, dup is not ignoring vendor changes made by the admin of a system. One can also use the --no-recommends option or make that the default in zypper.conf.
    Right, makes sense. Big thanks for the explanation!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •