Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tower's BtrFS has gone ReadOnly... again... yet again.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tower's BtrFS has gone ReadOnly... again... yet again.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 (x86_64) GNOME 3.20.2
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGirl View Post
    No, i know it is going to transfer data... but what data, & what happens with it? Is this a passive process, or is some change going to be made to my system as a result of this command string?

I did actually ask

I did not ask

I have read curl --help, but the I & v options just confuse me [well, not the v so much, but what is it going to be verbose about?].
    So it's going to show me info about a doc, but not the actual doc itself?

Whoever writes the man & help pages needs to consider that not everyone reading them is already a Linux expert. So i read it, but i don't understand it.
    'to curl something' is sometimes used as a reference to use a non-browser tool to download a file or resource from a URL. The curl folks have a nice book: https://ec.haxx.se/

There's the web address in that command, so is it simply going to print the html content of that page in Konsole? Why does that web address not display in several web browsers i tried? It's all mysterious to me.
    Maybe curl will help to find out. The command given above prints the communication between the server at samsung.com and the client on your machine. Of course the browsers have their developer tools (F12) which will provide the same information.
    Intel i3-4130, ASRock Z87 Pro 3, 16GB DDR3-1600, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate ST2000DM001 2 TB (ass. in 2014) Tumbleweed
    Intel i7-6700K, ASRock Z170 Pro 4S, 32GB DDR4-2166, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, Western Digital WD40EZRX 4 TB (ass. in 2016) Tumbleweed

On 12/06/2017 07:46 PM, GooeyGirl wrote:
    >
    > malcolmlewis;2847257 Wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Here you go... an openSUSE one
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ya442ofc
    >>
    >>>

> Code:
    > --------------------
    > > >

> > zypper in https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...1.1.x86_64.rpm
    > >

> --------------------
    >>>

>>
    >> Please test, if works as expected, then will push to the Archiving
    >> development repo...

> OMZ, you made this just for me? That's sensational; thanks for your
    > kindness. Later today i shall test it & let you know.
    >
    >

Please excuse my ignorance but even with looking on the site for
    timeshift I could not find any info on what it does. Even the wiki link
    provided no help. I'm guessing that it is some sort of snapshot software
    to allow restoring to an earlier snapshot.

--
    Ken
    linux since 1984
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 12/06/2017 07:46 PM, GooeyGirl wrote:
    >
    > malcolmlewis;2847257 Wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Here you go... an openSUSE one
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ya442ofc
    >>
    >>>

> Code:
    > --------------------
    > > >

> > zypper in https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...1.1.x86_64.rpm
    > >

> --------------------
    >>>

>>
    >> Please test, if works as expected, then will push to the Archiving
    >> development repo...

> OMZ, you made this just for me? That's sensational; thanks for your
    > kindness. Later today i shall test it & let you know.
    >
    >

--
    Ken
    linux since 1984
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996
    Hi
    Yes, just a GUI frontend for rsync...

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
    https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

I don't think i understand the point you're making. Never have i confused system snapshots & rollbacks, with the entirely different issue of my data backups.
    Apology for confusion, that was just a generic wide-audience reminder statement to practice offline backups, not specifically aimed at anyone. (Because a lot of users don't ...)

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    Yeah it's really vague on exactly what it is doing, and how. "Back up everything" isn't an adequate description, and expecting users to rebuild from a live usb that requires on-the-fly re-installation of the software isn't good enough (restoring should not require internet access). It looks like it requires a dedicated block device also, which is insane.

For the record, the reason i valued Snapper so highly, & why i'm now excited at the possibility of Timeshift availability [care of Malcolm's generosity], is that once TW is [re]installed, it then always takes me several hours to have it fully operational wrt having ALL my many pgms [re]installed [including resolving the ugly & stressful dependency conundrums]. Yesterday it was not til night that i finished that task, & i still have multiple loose ends to tidy up. All that time & effort would be avoided with Snapper / [potentially] Timeshift. Maybe nobody else feels this way, but IMO running a rolling-release distro without a tool for system recovery makes me feel naked & vulnerable.
    I've used openSUSE for many years, and am on my 3rd installation, and have always periodically updated rpms, and have been burned here and there over the years. This is how I've arrived at the current solution. If your system won't boot, snapper won't help. Ironically, the rolling TW has been better than previous non-rolling openSUSE updates.

1) install a second drive
    2) boot into rescue mode
    3) dump root partition onto second drive before each upgrade
    4) home can be gzipped with the normal system running as desired

I have cleverly arranged my main working drive like so:
    1) gpt
    2) uefi
    3) root - 24GB (51% used currently)
    4) swap
    5) home

I dump /dev/sda directly altogether for gpt + uefi + root, and stop at swap. I dump home separately. This allows me to restore the system and home separately. All I need is dd and gzip. Backup looks like "dd if=/dev/sda bs=1M count=... | gzip-1 > /mnt/sdb1/20171207_1240.ssd.gz". Find the count by looking at start of swap in a partition tool, and do the math. If I screw up and restore a bit too far, I'd only clobber swap, I don't know how I'd mess up like that, but it protects /home nonetheless. Technically I'd need to trim the ssd after a restore, that's my one performance nag here, but that matters little compared to data integrity. Anyway, it feels good to have perfect bit-wise backups of a working system. I wish there was something better than gzip that could maintain block alignment in the case of data corruption, while offering compression, that's a bit of risk. However any restore would likely follow a backup within the same day for root anyway. Home is a gzip of the files, not partition, so that's okay. You can see I've put some extended thought into keeping my system up come hell or high water or a batch of bad updates.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    'to curl something' is sometimes used as a reference to use a non-browser tool to download a file or resource from a URL. The curl folks have a nice book: https://ec.haxx.se/

Maybe curl will help to find out. The command given above prints the communication between the server at samsung.com and the client on your machine. Of course the browsers have their developer tools (F12) which will provide the same information.
    Thank you Karl. I shall try to read the info on that curl page later today or tomorrow, & then try your command. Pls forgive or excuse my questions... it's just that because there's soooooooo much i do not know / understand, i tend to adopt an initially conservative approach in these matters.

I shan't reply individually to your overnight [for me] replies, but will make this omnibus post. Firstly i wish to express my gratitude again for this ongoing wonderful & generous support.

Next, a quick tangent, which might annoy some of you, but if so i hope not to also offend. I detected a bit of a sneering / disdainful tone in some of your remarks about Timeshift. Yes it is "just" a front-end for rsync [so why don't i just use rsync?]. Yes i could [theoretically, maybe] just perform the equivalent function 100% manually via CLI prior to every TW dup [or some other fairly frequent schedule i might wish], so why don't i? Well... you vastly over-estimate my competence, skill & knowledge. With some of those things i either literally am too incompetent to do them, or otherwise even if i blundered through successfully it would be undesirably stressful & uncomfortable for me. My screen-name here is "GooeyGirl". Whilst i presume that you understand the 2nd-part of that, i suspect that the meaning of the 1st-part gets lost in translation. When i first created my openSUSE account back in June, i actually tried to register as "GUI-Girl" [to strongly imply to anyone seeing me in the forums that i like using GUIs (ie, not CLI) wherever possible]. I got part-way through the registration procedure & my rotten browser crashed on me. Once i'd relaunched it & returned to that registration page, i was annoyed to discover that the system now regarded "GUI-Girl" [which was previously available for me] as then being unavailable coz it was "already in use" [grrrrr]. I could not fix that [& the Administrator could not help], so i created "Gooey"... in English dialects it sounds identical to "GUI". Anyway the salient point here for this present topic is this: for Linux numpties like me [simultaneously enthusiastic but untalented], FOSS like Timeshift are simply invaluable, even if they seem superfluous or poorly-coded to experts. For dopes like me such pgms either allow me to do stuff that i otherwise cannot do at all, or else helps me do it more easily & comfortably. I respect everyone's opinion, but on that issue i respectively disagree with the tone i perceived here.

Re polkit... yes:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> zypper if polkit
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Information for package polkit:
    -------------------------------
    Repository     : Main Repository (OSS)            
    Name           : polkit                           
    Version        : 0.113-5.3                        
    Arch           : x86_64                           
    Vendor         : openSUSE                         
    Installed Size : 260.0 KiB                        
    Installed      : Yes                              
    Status         : up-to-date                       
    Source package : polkit-0.113-5.3.src             
    Summary        : PolicyKit Authorization Framework
    Description    :                                  
        PolicyKit is a toolkit for defining and handling authorizations.
        It is used for allowing unprivileged processes to speak to privileged
        processes.

gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~>
    When i attempt to launch TS in Konsole [using the identical launcher command as used in the Plasma5 Application Menu], this occurs:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> timeshift-launcher
    ### At this point the standard dialog pops up for me to enter my sudo password, after which:
    No protocol specified
    Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(timeshift-gtk:26509): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~>
    Conversely if i change to root... success:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> su -
    Password: 
    linux-Tower:~ # timeshift-launcher
    App config loaded: /etc/timeshift.json
    App config saved: /etc/timeshift.json

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### At this point the TS GUI opened, with full functionality. I was able to instantly see that the reason for yesterday's enormous attempted snapshot, which i had to abort, was that it was going to be 1.1 TB because as i had retrospectively deduced, TS in CLI was unconfigured & thereby included all partitions & drives it detected, including undesirably my 2 TB HDD. Now however, in GUI, i could easily configure it correctly, & then successfully run it to create my first snapshot.

Creating new snapshot...(RSYNC)
    Saving to device: /dev/sda2, mounted at path: /
    Synching files with rsync...
     69.03% complete (00:00:31 remaining)
    (timeshift-gtk:27790): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text '\x90\u0017' from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 11: Invalid UTF-8 encoded text in name - not valid '\x90\u0017'
    Created control file: /timeshift/snapshots/2017-12-08_12-39-37/info.json        
    Parsing log file...
    RSYNC Snapshot saved successfully (108s)
    Tagged snapshot '2017-12-08_12-39-37': ondemand
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pictorially:

...and...

In my VM i can launch the GUI directly from the Application Menu. In my real TW i cannot, & currently can only launch it from Konsole if i have first changed to root user. Why would this be i wonder?

Blog Entries

<snip>

In my VM i can launch the GUI directly from the Application Menu. In my real TW i cannot, & currently can only launch it from Konsole if i have first changed to root user. Why would this be i wonder?
    Hi
    So if you create a test user, does it then work?

Display driver/setup on your system?

Running wayland?

I do have a second account setup already [specifically for testing], & therein, TS GUI successfully launches directly from the App Menu.

I do not use Wayland.

Could you pls elaborate on what i need to do wrt "Display driver/setup on your system?"?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast