Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi periodically disconnects after upgrade from OpenSUSE 13.2 to Tumbleweed 32 bit

Default Wifi periodically disconnects after upgrade from OpenSUSE 13.2 to Tumbleweed 32 bit

Hi!I was running OpenSUSE 13.2 32 bit and have just upgraded to Tumbleweed 32 bit on my laptop.Wifi was running perfectly on 13.2 with no disconnects but periodically disconnects on Tumbleweed getting disabled and showing a question mark on the wifi icon.I have to turn wifi off and on again to resume connection.

Kindly assist in resolving this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wifi periodically disconnects after upgrade from OpenSUSE 13.2 to Tumbleweed 32 bit

Quote Originally Posted by 4joeyirosh1 View Post
    Hi!I was running OpenSUSE 13.2 32 bit and have just upgraded to Tumbleweed 32 bit on my laptop.Wifi was running perfectly on 13.2 with no disconnects but periodically disconnects on Tumbleweed getting disabled and showing a question mark on the wifi icon.I have to turn wifi off and on again to resume connection.

Kindly assist in resolving this.
    This could well be a wifi power management issue.

Just in case the following helpful to you...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...71#post2842471

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wifi periodically disconnects after upgrade from OpenSUSE 13.2 to Tumbleweed 32 bit

Also, please provide your wireless hardware details....
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Also, please provide your wireless hardware details....
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan
    Here are my hardware details.Note that wifi was operating perfectly on OpenSUSE 13.2 but disconnects on Tumbleweed so I dont think its a hardware issue

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan
    18: PCI 200.0: 0282 WLAN controller
    [Created at pci.378]
    Unique ID: S6TQ.LijBSGb8FsA
    Parent ID: z8Q3.Cj2ByQjL_A7
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:02:00.0
    SysFS BusID: 0000:02:00.0
    Hardware Class: network
    Device Name: "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6300 AGN"
    Model: "Realtek RTL8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller"
    Vendor: pci 0x10ec "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd."
    Device: pci 0x8171 "RTL8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller"
    SubVendor: pci 0x103c "Hewlett-Packard Company"
    SubDevice: pci 0x1467
    Revision: 0x10
    Driver: "rtl8192se"
    Driver Modules: "rtl8192se"
    Device File: wlo1
    Features: WLAN
    I/O Ports: 0x3000-0x30ff (rw)
    Memory Range: 0xd3500000-0xd3503fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    IRQ: 16 (no events)
    HW Address: 70:f1:a1:8d:54:ea
    Permanent HW Address: 70:f1:a1:8d:54:ea
    Link detected: yes
    WLAN channels: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    WLAN frequencies: 2.412 2.417 2.422 2.427 2.432 2.437 2.442 2.447 2.452 2.457 2.462 2.467 2.472
    WLAN encryption modes: WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP
    WLAN authentication modes: open sharedkey wpa-psk wpa-eap
    Module Alias: "pci:v000010ECd00008171sv0000103Csd00001467bc02sc80i00"
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: rtl8192se is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe rtl8192se"
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #14 (PCI bridge)

This could well be a wifi power management issue.

Just in case the following helpful to you...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...71#post2842471

After reading the link that you posted above,I have confirmed that tlp was already installed on my Tumbleweed.I have also executed the 2 commands below

WIFI_PWR_ON_AC=off
    WIFI_PWR_ON_BAT=off

Blog Entries

After reading the link that you posted above,I have confirmed that tlp was already installed on my Tumbleweed.I have also executed the 2 commands below

WIFI_PWR_ON_AC=off
    WIFI_PWR_ON_BAT=off
    They're not commands that get executed - they're configuration options that get added /etc/default/tlp

Blog Entries

Note also that the guide I linked to previously mentioned that changes to the settings take effect after a reboot, a change of the power source, or directly by restarting tlp.

Blog Entries

1. This will show if power management is on or off...
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/iwconfig
    2. Note that you can also watch the NetworkManager logging in realtime via a terminal window with
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -fu NetworkManager
    When the connection drops you should be able to capture the relevant event in the output. This might help with debugging.

3. I haven't had to do this myself, but it is possible to set the NetworkManager logging verbosity level to debug mode from both command line or via it's configuration file (/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf). Refer 'man networkmanager.conf'. For the latter, the following can be added...

Code:
    [logging]
    level=DEBUG
    Note that any changes to this configuration will take effect at next boot or restart of NetworkManager...
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

1. This will show if power management is on or off...
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/iwconfig
    2. Note that you can also watch the NetworkManager logging in realtime via a terminal window with
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -fu NetworkManager
    When the connection drops you should be able to capture the relevant event in the output. This might help with debugging.

3. I haven't had to do this myself, but it is possible to set the NetworkManager logging verbosity level to debug mode from both command line or via it's configuration file (/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf). Refer 'man networkmanager.conf'. For the latter, the following can be added...

Code:
    [logging]
    level=DEBUG
    Note that any changes to this configuration will take effect at next boot or restart of NetworkManager...
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
    I have run the command below and confirmed power management is off

Code:
    /usr/sbin/iwconfig
    I have added the debug entry below in my /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file.I assume there will be a debug logfile produced.In which directory path can I find this file?I was hoping to get the file /var/log/NetworkManager but didnt find it.Can I also check the file /var/log/wpa_supplicant?

Code:
    [logging]
    level=DEBUG

Blog Entries

I have added the debug entry below in my /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file.I assume there will be a debug logfile produced.In which directory path can I find this file?I was hoping to get the file /var/log/NetworkManager but didnt find it.Can I also check the file /var/log/wpa_supplicant?

Code:
    [logging]
    level=DEBUG
    The logging is done by the systemd-journald service these days. You use the journalctl command to view the journal logging. I've already shown you how to watch the NetworkManager logging live, but other options are available and there are various ways to filter for the required output.

Some useful references...
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ournalctl.html
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e-systemd-logs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast