Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

  1. #1

    Default HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Hey guys!

    I tried to run the binaries of reMarkable client on openSUSE 43.3 and I have partially succeeded. So I have created an archive which contains all dependencies, etc. You can download it from:

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1md1ujdWu4POyVA4_tmX8d6Giz72cQnB-


    To run the client:

    1. Extract the archive
    2. Open a terminal in the directory
    3. Run ./reMarkable.sh
    4. Go to https://my.remarkable.com/#desktop and generate a Deskotp app code. Notice that doing this from the application does not work.

    I could not get my files because of the network configuration (proxy without SOCKS). Also, note that the client requires OpenGL 3.x (they use some 3D animations).



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Hi
    If users are going to install the client binary blob, then as per the readme there are dependencies to install, you should not need to provide any files?

    Plus it's not the general way to do things... get the source and use OBS to build the client.... downloading some random unverified source from the internet is not a wise move and then run a script... sounds like a social engineering exercise...?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    If users are going to install the client binary blob, then as per the readme there are dependencies to install, you should not need to provide any files?

    Plus it's not the general way to do things... get the source and use OBS to build the client.... downloading some random unverified source from the internet is not a wise move and then run a script... sounds like a social engineering exercise...?
    Hey,

    the readme file is not relevant and it should be ignored. I forgot to remove it. As I know the sources of the client are not available and since the binary blob was compiled against Qt 5.9 I preferred to deploy Qt libraries instead of messing with the version installed in openSUSE -- Qt 5.6.

    About the social engineering. I did this Qt deploy mostly for myself and I shared it because of people complaining about the fact that the reMarkable client is hard to run on Linux. If you do not trust it do not run it. Simple.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Quote Originally Posted by copyme View Post
    Hey,

    the readme file is not relevant and it should be ignored. I forgot to remove it. As I know the sources of the client are not available and since the binary blob was compiled against Qt 5.9 I preferred to deploy Qt libraries instead of messing with the version installed in openSUSE -- Qt 5.6.

    About the social engineering. I did this Qt deploy mostly for myself and I shared it because of people complaining about the fact that the reMarkable client is hard to run on Linux. If you do not trust it do not run it. Simple.
    Hi
    Exactly, point users to an appropriate repository to download the files for qt5.9 if that's what's needed;

    Lets see, what in this list is not required (from the readme);
    Code:
    libqt5quick5
    libqt5websockets5
    libqt5concurrent5
    qtquickcontrols2-5-devel
    qml-module-qtquick-controls
    qml-module-qtquick-controls2
    qml-module-qtquick-dialogs
    qml-module-qt-labs-platform
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Exactly, point users to an appropriate repository to download the files for qt5.9 if that's what's needed;

    Lets see, what in this list is not required (from the readme);
    Code:
    libqt5quick5
    libqt5websockets5
    libqt5concurrent5
    qtquickcontrols2-5-devel
    qml-module-qtquick-controls
    qml-module-qtquick-controls2
    qml-module-qtquick-dialogs
    qml-module-qt-labs-platform
    Sorry but I cannot agree with you. I would not mess up my qt installation just for running this blob.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Hi
    But again, there is no reason you can't build the apps on OBS so the sources can be verified...

    Or provide a list of the rpms you used and what you did (where you put them etc) post the script you list so users can verify what it's going to do etc...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    But again, there is no reason you can't build the apps on OBS so the sources can be verified...

    Or provide a list of the rpms you used and what you did (where you put them etc) post the script you list so users can verify what it's going to do etc...
    I use OBS for few projects, I know about it and I like it. For this I do not have sources, etc.

  8. #8

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Quote Originally Posted by copyme View Post
    I use OBS for few projects, I know about it and I like it. For this I do not have sources, etc.
    I will think about OBS for this when I will have more time. Just to let you know that I completely understand your point of view.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: HowTo: Native reMarkable client

    Quote Originally Posted by copyme View Post
    I will think about OBS for this when I will have more time. Just to let you know that I completely understand your point of view.
    You could even create a package that pulls in the binaries, or contains a script to pull in the binaries. Packages for nvidia-bumblebee, spotify etc, do so.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •