Hadphones became muted by themseleves

Every 5-20 minuets I receive pop-up system mesage like quoted below and my headphones become muted. I have to go to pulseaudio settings or to volume settings and to switch back to Built-in Audio Analog Stereo and to set Port to headphones. After this operation I’m able to enjoy music for several minuets before the next message about:

The audio playback device Built-in Audio Analog Stereo does not work. Falling back to Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958).

How to fix this?

An ‘auto-mute’ function present and enabled perhaps? Anything returned by the following?

amixer -c0 | grep -i mute

The result:

:~> amixer -c0 | grep -i mute
Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0

That output answers that question :slight_smile: (Looks ok)

A power management issue perhaps?

Hardware details please…

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --sound

Post the output of

pactl list sinks|grep -i name

Just a thought - Is the default sink set as desired?

pactl info

*I’m just wondering (hoping) this might stop the fallback to some other sink, but pure speculation on my part.

If necessary, we can watch the PA debug logging in a terminal window with

pulseaudio -k;pulseaudio --log-level=debug --verbose

then perhaps we can catch what is happening explicitly when the headphone drops

The log can be captured to a file if desired…

pulseaudio -k;pulseaudio --log-level=debug --log-time=1 --verbose > ~/pulseaudio.log 2>&1 &

Actually I solved the problem after some googling. I’ve changed pulseaudio config for the headphones at /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf

My headphones are connected to the front pannel so I changed

[Jack Front Headphone]
required-any = any

to:

[Jack Front Headphone]
#required-any = any

Don’t know if this is configurable without superuser privileges

Here is pactl info, if it is still relevant

Server String: unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 31
Server Protocol Version: 31
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 38
Tile Size: 65472
Server Name: pulseaudio                                                                                                                                                                      
Server Version: 9.0-rebootstrapped                                                                                                                                                           
Default Sample Specification: s16le 6ch 44100Hz                                                                                                                                              
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe                                                                                                            
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo                                                                                                                                     
Default Source: alsa_input.usb-046d_0825_571FAAC0-02.analog-mono                                                                                                                             
Cookie: b397:9f5c                         

Good find. Thanks for sharing here. It may help others who come searching. :slight_smile: