amdgpu-pro driver issue

Hello community, recently I have tried to install the amdgpu-pro drivers onto my fresh installed system. After completing the installation and rebooting I only got a black screen with a mouse cursor. When I uninstall amdgpu-pro through the command line, I once again can boot into the desktop. But without the drivers the desktop is basically unusable (I get 1024x768 mirrored displays).
My gpu is the AMD radeon rx 550
Any idea what I might do wrong?
Thanks for any help.

“GIGABYTE Radeon RX 550 D5 2G” had the same result in my new PC (only 1024x768) with the xf86-video-amdgpu driver. Installing the amdgpu-pro driver failed. The graphic card works fine in another PC (for testing). I assumed BIOS issues in ASUS primex370-pro mainbord. Even BIOS updates did not help. I gave up and installed “ASUS Radeon R7 240” with xf86-video-amdgpu driver.

The RX 550 gpu doesn’t have display support in the amdgpu kernel driver until the 4.15 release. Leap 42.3 uses a much earlier kernel, though it does get some backports … (you’d have to check to see whether the DC code, and any other related necessary glue code changes, are brought in, but I rather doubt it). Hence, you aren’t using the xf86-video-amdgpu driver Xorg driver, but likely the generic fbdev … explaining the low res and mirrored configuration.

Can’t help you with the closed driver. Its use will be pretty much all but diminished in the near future distributions … though, that of course doesn’t help you now when you need it