Thread: Sound on HP notebook doesn't work properly

Angry Sound on HP notebook doesn't work properly

Hi,

A family member has a HP 15-bs014nh with a HDA Intel chipset currently running with a Realtek ALC3227 codec.

The main user of the computer states the following:

"After installation, the default configuration on GNOME (using PulseAudio, I assumed) had no sound, and the mute led was constantly on. Everything seemed to work on the software side, including the volume, but to no effect on the hardware. So I used a troubleshooting guide and attempted to configure the sound from YAST. In this state, the sound worked, but volume control was restricted to muting and unmuting, and the sound continued coming only from the speakers after plugging in the headphones. I have tried to configure the model in the file 50-sound.conf in the modprobe.d directory directly through trial-and-error, but to no avail (in some peculiar cases, the sound came only from the left speaker and right headphone).

At this point we tried an Ubuntu Live 17.10, and sound worked splendidly through the automatic configuration. Since there was no 50-sound.conf or analogue thereof (and I had success in other HP laptops with the default settings before), I cleared the YAST settings in the hopes that PluseAudio would reconfigure the sound on its own, but it still didn't work. Apart from that one troubleshooting guide, I have failed to find a decent, up-to-date guide on the internet to solve these issues."

This is a 64-bit openSUSE LEAP 42.3 with kernel version 4.4.92-31-Default
    Alsa library version 1.1.4.1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sound on HP notebook doesn't work properly

Quote Originally Posted by jadaml View Post
    At this point we tried an Ubuntu Live 17.10, and sound worked splendidly through the automatic configuration.
    Ubuntu Live 17.10 comes with the 4.13 kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by jadaml View Post
    This is a 64-bit openSUSE LEAP 42.3 with kernel version 4.4.92-31-Default
    Alsa library version 1.1.4.1
    The 4.4.92 kernel is much older than the 4.13 kernel, which likely means Ubuntu has a newer version of the alsa sound module driver (as the driver comes with the kernel).

I suppose there are a couple of approaches, ... one would be to try openSUSE Tumbleweed which I think may soon (if not already) have a 4.14 kernel. Another solution would be to try the current stable development kernel on the 42.3 Leap. deano_ferrai explains how one can do such in post#3 of this thread:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...77#post2841577

Note such kernel updates could mean proprietary graphic drivers may not work and possible other problems. One would need to try this out to see/hear the result.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Ubuntu Live 17.10 comes with the 4.13 kernel.

The 4.4.92 kernel is much older than the 4.13 kernel, which likely means Ubuntu has a newer version of the alsa sound module driver (as the driver comes with the kernel).

I suppose there are a couple of approaches, ... one would be to try openSUSE Tumbleweed which I think may soon (if not already) have a 4.14 kernel. Another solution would be to try the current stable development kernel on the 42.3 Leap. deano_ferrai explains how one can do such in post#3 of this thread:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...77#post2841577

Note such kernel updates could mean proprietary graphic drivers may not work and possible other problems. One would need to try this out to see/hear the result.
    Further to this, you can keep the existing kernel installed if you install the stable kernel (after subscribing to the stable kernel repo) using
    Code:
    zypper in --from kernel kernel-default

Blog Entries

Choose the kernel you wish to boot from via the grub boo menu under 'Advanced options...'