Hi,

A family member has a HP 15-bs014nh with a HDA Intel chipset currently running with a Realtek ALC3227 codec.

The main user of the computer states the following:

"After installation, the default configuration on GNOME (using PulseAudio, I assumed) had no sound, and the mute led was constantly on. Everything seemed to work on the software side, including the volume, but to no effect on the hardware. So I used a troubleshooting guide and attempted to configure the sound from YAST. In this state, the sound worked, but volume control was restricted to muting and unmuting, and the sound continued coming only from the speakers after plugging in the headphones. I have tried to configure the model in the file 50-sound.conf in the modprobe.d directory directly through trial-and-error, but to no avail (in some peculiar cases, the sound came only from the left speaker and right headphone).

At this point we tried an Ubuntu Live 17.10, and sound worked splendidly through the automatic configuration. Since there was no 50-sound.conf or analogue thereof (and I had success in other HP laptops with the default settings before), I cleared the YAST settings in the hopes that PluseAudio would reconfigure the sound on its own, but it still didn't work. Apart from that one troubleshooting guide, I have failed to find a decent, up-to-date guide on the internet to solve these issues."

This is a 64-bit openSUSE LEAP 42.3 with kernel version 4.4.92-31-Default
Alsa library version 1.1.4.1