Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OSX install breaks connection to grub on EFI partition--TW rescue doesn't rescue??

Default OSX install breaks connection to grub on EFI partition--TW rescue doesn't rescue??

Peeps:

I've got a multi-boot set up on two HDs with a number of OSX partitions and some LEAP's and some TW's and some Gecko's just to keep it interesting. A couple weeks back I installed the latest OSX system 10.13 and as it has in the past, OSX doesn't play well with others and it broke grub . . . . So I went through my usual "repair" disks, SuperGrub2, Boot-Repair, and RescaTux . . . and this time it seemed like RecscaTux was able to get my TW partition on my newer HD to load and one of the older LEAP's on the older HD, but not all of them.

So I searched through the forum a bit and found a thread for "grub-customizer" and I installed that, but, as with the others it can't seem to "find" the efi partition, in this case "sda1" . . . . I tried the "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" and it finds the TW kernels, but then reports "/boot/efi/efi/opensuse" "not found" . . . .

I found this thread which is not too far down in the list https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...RUB2-Reinstall and I followed the commands from the #2 post . . . which shows how to use the "rescue system" to "mount" the root partition as well as the efi partition . . . took awhile to get to an open TTY shell, before that the "rescue" seemed to be going well, until it got to "download file_0010" which brought a 404 not found error and a blinking cursor, that blinked for about 45 mins before I figured it was "stuck" or the "rescue was lost" . . . tried to bring up an open TTY, and there was stuff "going on" on some of them but finally got to the basic "rescue" login, and when I did the various "mount" commands on "return" each line brought a "item can't be found" type of response, I went through the whole list and each time it "failed."

Back when I was in Ubuntu and had this problem we could use an editor to open the grub.cfg file and repoint the various efi and root partitions, but apparently from what I read in the SUSE forums, that isn't done . . . . O, yeah, I used YAST to try to fix the Bootloader, but, that also "failed" . . . GRUB is not finding the efi partition and seems to be showing an empty partition as a "TW" or "LEAP" . . . maybe because it isn't "seeing" the efi partition, all of the partition numbers are "off by one"??

I also did a number of upgrades on the TW system, including the kernel, and that also didn't seem to get the efi partition to show up so that GRUB can list all approx 6 linux/OpenSUSE installs . . . . I have found in previous episodes that doing a fresh install of linux will "over-ride" the OSX damage to grub/efi, but, somewhat trying to save the time of nuke n pave if at all possible?? Any thoughts would be appreciated . . . .

n_s

Blog Entries

Default Re: OSX install breaks connection to grub on EFI partition--TW rescue doesn't rescue??

Hi
    If you press the option key at boot should get an option to select and efi file to boot from? If not boot from an efi install medium in rescue mode and then run efibootmgr -v to see what boot options are present, and set default as required.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 (x86_64) GNOME 3.20.2
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: OSX install breaks connection to grub on EFI partition--TW rescue doesn't rescue??

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    If you press the option key at boot should get an option to select and efi file to boot from? If not boot from an efi install medium in rescue mode and then run efibootmgr -v to see what boot options are present, and set default as required.
    @malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the reply, I'll check on it tomorrow when I get a moment . . . and I'll post back.

n_s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the reply, I'll check on it tomorrow when I get a moment . . . and I'll post back.

n_s
    Hi
    If your running multiple openSUSE's then you could wind up over writing /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse if they exist on the same ESP (ef00 partition).

I've never used grub for osX, just press the option key when wanted to boot into it, else let openSUSE take control.... but mine was only one osX and Tumbleweed...

Hi
    If your running multiple openSUSE's then you could wind up over writing /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse if they exist on the same ESP (ef00 partition).

I've never used grub for osX, just press the option key when wanted to boot into it, else let openSUSE take control.... but mine was only one osX and Tumbleweed...
    @ML:

Well, we'll have to see how it goes later on today; I've done the edit grub.cfg thing one time previously with ubuntu and that "worked" and I've done the "nuke n repave" fresh install of a linux system numerous times to "override" the OSX damage to its fellow OSs . . . which seems "intentional" and "mean spirited" . . . when, as you mention, I also haven't taken the time to connect grub to the OSX partitions, so I use the alt/option key when I want to select OSX, and, when grub is working right, on restart the various linux options show up, with one at the top as default boot . . . .

But, right now, the grub page is showing some options where the partitions are empty, and so forth . . . . I'll try out your suggestions in a few hours and see what comes of it.

n_s

Hi
    So I booted the TW install disk and got to a TTY "rescue" shell and logged in--running "efibootmgr -v" shows roughly

Code:
    Boot current: 0000
                Boot order: 0001, 0080, 0000
                Boot 0000 *ubuntu HD (1, GPT) xxxxxxxxxxxx
                Boot 0001 *opensuse HD (1, GPT) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     "   0080 * Mac OS X  (PCI Root) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      "   0081  * Mac OS X   "
                       "  0082  PCI Root (0 x 0 xxxxxxxxx
                Boot FFFF   PCI Root (0 x 0) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Which is all a bit "odd" in that "ubuntu" was erased months back to make room for one of the LEAP installs, and now the "default" is TW, which is on the new HD, and that HD is in the "number one" slot, and also never had ubuntu installed on it. And, not understanding the various "OS X" options, as there are "two" OSXs on the old HD, and two on the new . . . so, as I was saying, all of the various "optional" systems are not showing up here, although many show up using the mobo alt key boot manager, they don't seem to "work" via selecting one of the "EFI boot" disk options.

And, other question would be why the "boot current" is set for ubuntu, which is on HD2 (sdb according to GParted schematic) and then it shows "0080" for one of the OS X boots, but grub of course is only showing the LEAP & TW options . . . . I tried to "edit" the various options, putting "pluma" and "nano" in front of the "efibootmgr -v" but that brought "command not found" . . . . So, I'm needing some further data on how I could edit and then it seems like the efibootmgr is only seeing "one" HD and not the two, whereas previous to the OSX install GRUB would show both "sda" and "sdb" partitions of the various OpenSUSE systems??

Seems like something is being "missed" . . . and somewhere there is a "ubuntu" .efi file that is still showing up, even though that filesystem disk was erased and repaved, etc.

n_s

Blog Entries

Hi
    I have;
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 5 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000
    Boot0000* opensuse    HD(1,GPT,xxxx)/File(\EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi)
    Boot0080* Mac OS X    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0,0,0)/HD(2,GPT,xxxxx64800,0xc800000)
    Boot0082*     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0,0,0)/HD(2,GPT,xxx,0x64800,0x71fa0d8)
    BootFFFF*     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x0)/USB(0,0)/HD(1,MBR,xxx)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi)

ls /boot/efi/EFI/
    boot  opensuse

lsblk

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda      8:0    0 119.2G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1   8:1    0   260M  0 part /boot/efi
    ├─sda2   8:2    0    40G  0 part /
    ├─sda3   8:3    0    75G  0 part /data
    └─sda4   8:4    0     4G  0 part [SWAP]
    I only have openSUSE Tumbleweed on my old MacBook these days....

Unless you delete, old nvram entries remain... you can delete the non-present ub* one via;
    Code:
    efibootmgr -b 0 -B 0
    So you need to mount your efi partition(s) in rescue mode, eg;
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdXN /mnt

ls /mnt/EFI
    What files and folders are present? Repeat for your ESP's as required after unmounting the previous....

Code:
     @192:~> sudo ls /boot/efi/EFI/
    ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI/': No such file or directory
    @192:~> lsblk
    NAME    MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda       8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1    8:1    0   200M  0 part 
    ├─sda2    8:2    0   234G  0 part 
    ├─sda3    8:3    0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sda4    8:4    0   234G  0 part 
    ├─sda5    8:5    0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sda6    8:6    0 261.3G  0 part 
    ├─sda7    8:7    0  48.8G  0 part 
    ├─sda8    8:8    0  48.8G  0 part /
    ├─sda9    8:9    0  97.7G  0 part /home
    └─sda10   8:10   0   5.4G  0 part [SWAP]
    sdb       8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
    ├─sdb1    8:17   0   200M  0 part 
    ├─sdb2    8:18   0 210.1G  0 part 
    ├─sdb3    8:19   0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sdb4    8:20   0 280.6G  0 part 
    ├─sdb5    8:21   0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sdb6    8:22   0 297.9G  0 part 
    ├─sdb7    8:23   0  45.6G  0 part 
    ├─sdb8    8:24   0    46G  0 part 
    ├─sdb9    8:25   0    46G  0 part 
    └─sdb10   8:26   0   3.7G  0 part [SWAP]
    sr0      11:0    1   112M  0 rom  /run/media/Zer0/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64
    @192:~> sudo efibootmgr -b 0 -B 0
    BootCurrent: 0001
    BootOrder: 0001,0080
    Boot0001* opensuse
    Boot0080* Mac OS X
    Boot0081* Mac OS X
    Boot0082* 
    BootFFFF* ]
    So, right now I have just time to try the commands from the TW Terminal, and some things worked, and some, like the "efi/EFI" command--did not work. The lsblk shows the two drives, and I ran the "-b" command and that seems to have removed the ubuntu item, so thanks for that.

As far as the "mount" from rescue method goes, I did try that following the other threads suggestions, and that didn't seem to work . . . going through their whole list of suggestions . . . each line "failed" . . . . I'll be back at this tomorrow pm . . . .

n_s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Code:
     @192:~> sudo ls /boot/efi/EFI/
    ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI/': No such file or directory
    @192:~> lsblk
    NAME    MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda       8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1    8:1    0   200M  0 part 
    ├─sda2    8:2    0   234G  0 part 
    ├─sda3    8:3    0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sda4    8:4    0   234G  0 part 
    ├─sda5    8:5    0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sda6    8:6    0 261.3G  0 part 
    ├─sda7    8:7    0  48.8G  0 part 
    ├─sda8    8:8    0  48.8G  0 part /
    ├─sda9    8:9    0  97.7G  0 part /home
    └─sda10   8:10   0   5.4G  0 part [SWAP]
    sdb       8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
    ├─sdb1    8:17   0   200M  0 part 
    ├─sdb2    8:18   0 210.1G  0 part 
    ├─sdb3    8:19   0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sdb4    8:20   0 280.6G  0 part 
    ├─sdb5    8:21   0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sdb6    8:22   0 297.9G  0 part 
    ├─sdb7    8:23   0  45.6G  0 part 
    ├─sdb8    8:24   0    46G  0 part 
    ├─sdb9    8:25   0    46G  0 part 
    └─sdb10   8:26   0   3.7G  0 part [SWAP]
    sr0      11:0    1   112M  0 rom  /run/media/Zer0/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64
    @192:~> sudo efibootmgr -b 0 -B 0
    BootCurrent: 0001
    BootOrder: 0001,0080
    Boot0001* opensuse
    Boot0080* Mac OS X
    Boot0081* Mac OS X
    Boot0082* 
    BootFFFF* ]
    So, right now I have just time to try the commands from the TW Terminal, and some things worked, and some, like the "efi/EFI" command--did not work. The lsblk shows the two drives, and I ran the "-b" command and that seems to have removed the ubuntu item, so thanks for that.

As far as the "mount" from rescue method goes, I did try that following the other threads suggestions, and that didn't seem to work . . . going through their whole list of suggestions . . . each line "failed" . . . . I'll be back at this tomorrow pm . . . .

n_s
    Hi
    Based on past experiences I would gues your ESP's are /dev/sda1 and /dev/sb1. You can confirm with;
    Code:
    gdisk -l /dev/sda
    gdisk -l /dev/sdb

eg;
     gdisk -l /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sda: 250069680 sectors, 119.2 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 250069646
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          534527   260.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System
       2          534528        84420607   40.0 GiB    8300  Linux filesystem
       3        84420608       241707007   75.0 GiB    8300  Linux filesystem
       4       241707008       250069646   4.0 GiB     8200  Linux swap
    Type ef00 is /dev/sda1 in my case, so this is the one you want to mount....

If you inspect both, hopefully one or the other contain the efi files... then it's pretty easy to create the nvram entries via efibootmgr.

So you need to mount your efi partition(s) in rescue mode, eg;
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdXN /mnt

ls /mnt/EFI
    What files and folders are present? Repeat for your ESP's as required after unmounting the previous....
    Hi
    Based on past experiences I would gues your ESP's are /dev/sda1 and /dev/sb1. You can confirm with;
    [CODE]
    gdisk -l /dev/sda
    gdisk -l /dev/sdb

Type ef00 is /dev/sda1 in my case, so this is the one you want to mount....
    If you inspect both, hopefully one or the other contain the efi files... then it's pretty easy to create the nvram entries via efibootmgr.
    @MalcolmLewis: So I checked the "gdisk" from the TW booted system Terminal and as I figured it is "sda1" and "sdb1" that would contain or "be" the "EFI partition. Then I logged in as "root" and ran:
    Code:
    192:/home/ # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    192:/home/ # ls /mnt/EFI
    APPLE  boot  opensuse
    And that's what it shows . . . would that be different if I booted into the "rescue" terminal? Bit of a pain to get the "rescue" shell to show up, as various TTY shells seem to be running simultaneously "doing stuff" . . . seems to take a few minutes to get the "rescue" shell to become available???

Doing it this way as "root" seemed to work, whereas when I did it before from rescue it did not bring anything back, here it shows "APPLE" "boot" and "opensuse" . . . which must be "directories"???

And, now, I guess if I have to "unmount" sda1 I would run
    Code:
    /umnt/EFI 
                                                                                                     umount /dev/sda1 /umnt
    ??? Or vice versa? I haven't done this "mount" and then "unmount" process before . . . .

TIA

n_s

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast