Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: how to do unattended online updates?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    "Great North Wet"
    Posts
    121

    Default how to do unattended online updates?

    I installed yast2-online-update-configuration and configured it via (what else) yast and then for good measure i rebooted, i have done this on 3 pc's and none of them are doing unattended updates. The/any update is always waiting there in the tray for me to click on and say "Install Updates" just like it did before I installed yast2-online-update-configuration.
    Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Nobody move!
    Doc Holliday: Nonsense. By all means, move.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: how to do unattended online updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by erbenton View Post
    I installed yast2-online-update-configuration and configured it via (what else) yast and then for good measure i rebooted, i have done this on 3 pc's and none of them are doing unattended updates. The/any update is always waiting there in the tray for me to click on and say "Install Updates" just like it did before I installed yast2-online-update-configuration.
    What update interval did you select when configuring? Do you see the associated script in /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron/weekly/, or /etc/cron.monthly (applicable to your chosen update interval)?

    The only potential conflict I see here is if the desktop packagekit-based updater (which I don't use) gets in the way sometimes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: how to do unattended online updates?

    Review the settings you made according to this guide...

    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ou.html#id5081

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    "Great North Wet"
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: how to do unattended online updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Review the settings you made according to this guide...

    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ou.html#id5081
    Thanks, i had already found that doc.
    Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Nobody move!
    Doc Holliday: Nonsense. By all means, move.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    "Great North Wet"
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: how to do unattended online updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    What update interval did you select when configuring? Do you see the associated script in /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron/weekly/, or /etc/cron.monthly (applicable to your chosen update interval)?

    The only potential conflict I see here is if the desktop packagekit-based updater (which I don't use) gets in the way sometimes.
    So, there are 2 updaters? Which one is accessed via the system tray in kde? Maybe i need to remove one of them if there are 2. Are they both capable of unattended updates?
    in the yast online cfg app i had selected daily just like i did by right clicking the Gear in software updates.
    Code:
    # ls -l /etc/cron.daily/ 
    total 36
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  778 Jul  2 09:43 mdadm
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2123 Aug 21  2015 mlocate.cron
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   32 Nov 25 15:27 opensuse.org-online_update -> /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/online_update
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1414 May 17  2017 packagekit-background.cron
    -rwxr--r-- 1 root root  948 Jul  7 11:27 suse-clean_catman
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1879 Jul  7 09:58 suse.de-backup-rc.config
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2059 Sep 11  2014 suse.de-backup-rpmdb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  566 Sep 11  2014 suse.de-check-battery
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  371 Sep 11  2014 suse.de-cron-local
    -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 1693 Jul  7 11:27 suse-do_mandb
    Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Nobody move!
    Doc Holliday: Nonsense. By all means, move.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: how to do unattended online updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by erbenton View Post
    So, there are 2 updaters? Which one is accessed via the system tray in kde? Maybe i need to remove one of them if there are 2.
    The KDE desktop updater uses the PackageKit backend (and many around here disable it). To do so, right-click on the system tray > System Tray Settings > Uncheck 'Software Updates'. Then it won't conflict with YOU.

    Are they both capable of unattended updates?
    I don't use it, but AFAIU only the check interval can be adjusted, and the user needs to be logged in of course.

    This relates to YOU...
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   32 Nov 25 15:27 opensuse.org-online_update -> /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/online_update
    This relates to your desktop updater...
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1414 May 17  2017 packagekit-background.cron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •