Thread: Np graphical login, SDDM eats 40% CPU

Default Np graphical login, SDDM eats 40% CPU

After upgrading to 42.3, and taking the steps to uninstall the propriatory Nvidia driver and install the community one, as advised. But I getoond no graphical login, and sddm takes 35-40% cpu permanently, accessing the disk continuously. Graphics card is GForce 7025. What is going wrong here?

Default Re: No graphical login, SDDM eats 40% CPU

(I posted initially from phone, and that gave some typo's. Don't know how to edit the post, so I'll rephrase it for better readability

I upgraded the machine of my father-in-law from 42.2 to 42.3, and took the steps to uninstall the propriatory Nvidia driver and install the community one, as advised on
    HTML Code:
     https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
    But I get no graphical login, sddm takes 35-40% cpu permanently, accessing the disk continuously. Graphics card is a GForce 7025.

What is going wrong here?

Default Re: Np graphical login, SDDM eats 40% CPU

Did uinistall driver before or after upgrade?? Is this a notebook?

I uninstalled and installed the driver after upgrading, before reboot. It is not a laptop or notebook.

After a few unsuccessful measures (deleting nouveau, deleting nvidia-based drivers and installing nouveau) I decided to install 42.3 from scratch.
    Works now as expected.

Post Re: Np graphical login, SDDM eats 40% CPU

Same problem here. Upgraded to OpenSUSE 42.3 and SDDM eats 20% of CPU. x5650

Same problem here. Upgraded to OpenSUSE 42.3 and SDDM eats 20-30% of CPU. Intel x5650 (xeon 6/12), 32GB memory, Graphics is MGA G200. No Nvidia card or drivers. Eliminated Graphics Login and CPU usage went to less than 5%. I'll run w/o graphic login - but this bug should be fixed!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lbickley View Post
    Same problem here. Upgraded to OpenSUSE 42.3 and SDDM eats 20-30% of CPU. Intel x5650 (xeon 6/12), 32GB memory, Graphics is MGA G200. No Nvidia card or drivers. Eliminated Graphics Login and CPU usage went to less than 5%. I'll run w/o graphic login - but this bug should be fixed!
    If you think this is a bug, then posting here will not help. Report the bug against 42.3's sddm at bugzilla.opensuse.org
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lbickley View Post
    Were you upgrading from 42.2? That is a very old video card. Likely to be impacting here.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That is a very old video card. Likely to be impacting here.
    Right, in particular it doesn't have (hardware-accelerated) OpenGL support AFAIK, so the software OpenGL renderer will be used.

Better use a different login manager, e.g. kdm, lightdm or xdm.
    You can set that by changing the DISPLAYMANAGER="xxx" line in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (of course you need to install the one you want to use as well)