Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel drivers for OpenSUSE

Default Intel drivers for OpenSUSE

I recently installed OpenSUSE on my computer, I am a new Linux user and have seen some crashes in plasmashell and slowdowns and crashes while minimizing some lightweight games, my graphics card is Intel, I have seen that the drivers of this already comes pre-installed, but I feel these drivers are pretty old, I wonder where I find the download for Intel Drivers?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Intel drivers for OpenSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by MrPiva View Post
    I recently installed OpenSUSE on my computer, I am a new Linux user and have seen some crashes in plasmashell and slowdowns and crashes while minimizing some lightweight games, my graphics card is Intel, I have seen that the drivers of this already comes pre-installed, but I feel these drivers are pretty old, I wonder where I find the download for Intel Drivers?
    Which Intel graphics chipset do you have?
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard
    Do you have room for another distro version? Maybe TW is worth a shot for testing/comparing here. You could always try testing with a Live distro. The GeckoLinux Rolling Edition is based on openSUSE TW and could be a good option. Perhaps TW will be a better option for you anyway.

If you have reasonable Linux experience (and feel comfortable doing so), you could upgrade to the current stable Linux kernel, and the Xorg stack can be upgraded by subscribing to the Xorg repo http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_42.3/ and upgrading via that perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Which Intel graphics chipset do you have?
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard
    Do you have room for another distro version? Maybe TW is worth a shot for testing/comparing here. You could always try testing with a Live distro. The GeckoLinux Rolling Edition is based on openSUSE TW and could be a good option. Perhaps TW will be a better option for you anyway.

If you have reasonable Linux experience (and feel comfortable doing so), you could upgrade to the current stable Linux kernel, and the Xorg stack can be upgraded by subscribing to the Xorg repo http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_42.3/ and upgrading via that perhaps.
    Code:
    07: PCI 02.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)               
      [Created at pci.378]
      Unique ID: _Znp.kXji87_9FKC
      SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
      SysFS BusID: 0000:00:02.0
      Hardware Class: graphics card
      Device Name: "Onboard IGD"
      Model: "Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller"
      Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
      Device: pci 0x0152 "Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller"
      SubVendor: pci 0x1019 "Elitegroup Computer Systems"
      SubDevice: pci 0x7daf  
      Revision: 0x09
      Driver: "i915"
      Driver Modules: "i915"
      Memory Range: 0xf7800000-0xf7bfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)                                
      Memory Range: 0xe0000000-0xefffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)                                   
      I/O Ports: 0xf000-0xf03f (rw) 
      IRQ: 26 (5077666 events) 
      I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw) 
      Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00000152sv00001019sd00007DAFbc03sc00i00"                         
      Driver Info #0: 
        Driver Status: i915 is active         
        Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe i915" 
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

Basically a Intel HD Graphics 2500.

So.. I have room for another distro, but the problem is the internet that is slow, but I will at least try to download this distro that you suggested or Debian.

And as I said I am a new user on Linux and I do not have many experiences.

Blog Entries

The Intel video driver for Xorg, in which Plasma runs, is provided by the package xf86-video-intel. If you remove this package with Zypper or YaST2, Xorg should automatically use the other opensource driver suitable for Intel gfxchips. This would be easier to try than any other distro. For some it works better, for others not. Only by trying can one be sure which, if either, is better. It's the driver I use with my Intel Haswell. Once installed with Zypper or YaST2,
    Code:
    # inxi -G -c0
    will show which driver is in use, as here:
    Code:
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
               Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.5

Blog Entries

So.. I have room for another distro, but the problem is the internet that is slow, but I will at least try to download this distro that you suggested or Debian.

And as I said I am a new user on Linux and I do not have many experiences.
    Sorry, missed that. It's probably easiest best to try a live distro (run from a memory stick) just to check behaviour with a later kernel perhaps.

Blog Entries

Returning to your opening post comments regarding "crashes in plasmashell" and "crashes while minimizing some lightweight games", I wonder if changing the rendering backend might help? Which games?

Run the following
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation|grep -i compositing
    and report back.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 24-Nov-2017 at 00:24.

afaik the default acceleration for intel is sna but some intel devices still have an issue with sna and plasma 5
    there is an old bug regarding intel acceleration and the fix was to use uxa
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html
    create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf (it shuldn't exist)
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    and paste
    Code:
        Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        EndSection
    reboot
    if that doesn't fix your issue you can always delete that file or replace uxa with sna as the preferred acceleration method

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    The Intel video driver for Xorg, in which Plasma runs, is provided by the package xf86-video-intel. If you remove this package with Zypper or YaST2, Xorg should automatically use the other opensource driver suitable for Intel gfxchips. This would be easier to try than any other distro. For some it works better, for others not. Only by trying can one be sure which, if either, is better. It's the driver I use with my Intel Haswell. Once installed with Zypper or YaST2,
    Code:
    # inxi -G -c0
    will show which driver is in use, as here:
    Code:
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
               Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.5
    Code:
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
    Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 192x45

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Returning to your opening post comments regarding "crashes in plasmashell" and "crashes while minimizing some lightweight games", I wonder if changing the rendering backend might help? Which games?

Run the following
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation|grep -i compositing
    and report back.
    Code:
    compositingMode: 1
    useCompositing: true
    compositingInitialized: true
    windowsBlockCompositing: true
    Compositing
    Compositing is active
    Compositing Type: OpenGL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrPiva View Post
    Code:
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
    Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 192x45
    Above shows you are using the built-in modesetting driver rather than the Intel driver provided by xf86-video-intel. Either xf86-video-intel is not installed, or something is preventing its use. If xf86-video-intel was never installed, then the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file I_A suggested to use would have done nothing, and the next thing to try is installing xf86-video-intel.

I just saw, and this xf86-video-intel is not installed, maybe this would be the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast