Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

Default Re: How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

Point is still that the NVIDIA drivers Break the X stack for any other driver.

Take it up with NVIDIA nothing we can do about this. It has been that way forever.

Solution put in a second NVIDIA card and you can use both

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    I can do that but what worries me is that nouveau perhaps does not give the same performance as the nvidia driver. Running (a command line for testing which I found a long ago):

Code:
    grep VGA /proc/pci || lspci | grep VGA | colrm 1 4 ; egrep "model name|MHz" /proc/cpuinfo ; xdpyinfo | egrep "version:|dimensions|depth of" ; glxinfo | egrep -A2 "direct rendering|OpenGL vendor" ; uname -sr ; __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 glxgears & sleep 30 ; killall glxgears
    gives me ~24500FPS with the nvidia driver and (when i tested long ago) about 60FPS with the nouveau. I have read people saying that glxgears is not a benchmark but still... Here is an article which compares both drivers in more detail.

What do you think? Should I remove the nvidia driver just to test? And if it turns out that the nvidia driver itself is the issue - then what?
    What are you really trying to achieve?
    If you are talking about the normal use of your desktop you are correct, do use the Nvidia driver all the time (although the Nouveau driver in recent kernels is not that bad with a GKxxx GPU: the 60 FPS you see is just the monitor refresh rate, try some other command or benchmark).
    BUT if you are trying to achieve PCI pass-through the final picture should be something like the following AFAIK:
    1) the host system is controlled through the iGPU (or ssh via a remote terminal if you prefer...) thus freeing the Nvidia from ANY host job;
    2) at that point the Nvidia may be "hijacked" by a Virtual Guest via PCI pass-through, making it effectively "invisible" to the host (and so which driver is installed in the host should be irrelevant);
    3) so you have to install a driver for the Nvidia on the Guest OS (may be tricky business as some of the references pointed out by tsu2 suggest);
    4) at this point you should be able to use the iGPU on the Host system and rhe dGPU on the Guest VM.

My understanding is that we are helping you achieve point 1) in this thread; once there you might be better off asking in the Virtualization subforum to achieve points 2)...4).
    But I'm no expert on those matters so I might be wrong here.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Point is still that the NVIDIA drivers Break the X stack for any other driver.

Take it up with NVIDIA nothing we can do about this. It has been that way forever.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.
    Might that have anything to do with disabling kernel mode setting? Or is that only for console? Currently I have nouveau.modeset=0 in the kernel command line and in my test case 2 I tried without it but it didn't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    What are you really trying to achieve?
    Get rid of bare metal Windows installation (which I maintain just because of few programs which require graphics acceleration and which don't have decent FOSS alternative).

If you are talking about the normal use of your desktop you are correct, do use the Nvidia driver all the time (although the Nouveau driver in recent kernels is not that bad with a GKxxx GPU: the 60 FPS you see is just the monitor refresh rate, try some other command or benchmark).
    BUT if you are trying to achieve PCI pass-through the final picture should be something like the following AFAIK:
    1) the host system is controlled through the iGPU (or ssh via a remote terminal if you prefer...) thus freeing the Nvidia from ANY host job;
    2) at that point the Nvidia may be "hijacked" by a Virtual Guest via PCI pass-through, making it effectively "invisible" to the host (and so which driver is installed in the host should be irrelevant);
    Thanks for clarifying all this. I was wondering if that was actually the case but now it makes sense. Thanks.

My understanding is that we are helping you achieve point 1) in this thread; once there you might be better off asking in the Virtualization subforum to achieve points 2)...4).
    That's correct.

I will try how things work with the nouveau driver.

Has nothing to do with mode setting. Mode setting is just the auto detection and driver selection which does have to be disabled for the NVIDIA driver. But the reason is that NVIDIA supplies their own mesa files which make the x stack broken for any other driver. As I said they have done this forever. the NVIDIA mesa files are optimized for their binary blob driver

nouveau seem to use the sync to V blank which generally is 60 hz This can be turned on or off in the NVIDIA server app which results in higher or lower frame rates reported on the GL test suite

Ok, I tried uninstalling the nvidia driver. The result is similar to case 2 - getting the exact same boot time error.

With iGPU set as primary and even manually setting driver to "i915" in xorg.conf I am getting:

lspci
    dmesg
    Xorg.0.log

There was also observable slowdown in graphics performance with the nouveau driver (even panning an image in gwenview is lagging). I ran glmark2 (total score: 1287) before switching back to nvidia driver. I couldn't compare it to nvidia because with nvidia driver I get:

Code:
    [~]: glmark2
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    Here is also my xorg.conf

Considering that the nouveau is obviously too slow to work normally, I've been wondering: is there any configuration which can be manually put in xorg.conf which would allow driver #1 (nvidia) to be used with one monitor and driver #2 (i915 or whatever would work for the iGPU) to be used for another monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Ok, I tried uninstalling the nvidia driver. The result is similar to case 2 - getting the exact same boot time error.

With iGPU set as primary and even manually setting driver to "i915" in xorg.conf I am getting:
    AFAIK (see "man intel") you have to set 'Driver "intel" ' in xorg.conf, not "i915".
    Then maybe you have to tweak your config further, because you now have two "devices" (or graphics cards) and possibly two "Monitor" and two "Screen" to choose from if you have a monitor connected to the iGPU and one to the dGPU.
    So your "Layout" section might be more complex, but I'm not smart enough to suggest one on the fly, sorry.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234