Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

Default Re: How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    You said it, never both simultaneously.
    What do you mean? In post #4 I explained that Yast -> Hardware Info shows they are visible simultaneously.

Intel+NVIDA hybrid is an odd combination of hardware. The Intel always transmits the video signal but the NVIDIA can do the rendering.or the Intel but not both rendering at the same time. It would do Rube Goldberg proud

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    What do you mean? In post #4 I explained that Yast -> Hardware Info shows they are visible simultaneously.
    Maybe the term "visible" leads to a misunderstanding...
    HWINFO scans the MB buses and gets two pings back, one from the iGPU, the other from the dGPU: that means that both are powered on and the kernel might engage the correct driver for each one if needed.
    But that doesn't mean that both GPUs can actually process video streams at the same time: apparently there is a switch (firmware and/or hardware) that routes graphics data through one OR the other.
    Unless you see "Providers: number : 2" when issuing "xrandr --listproviders" you are not able to route two graphics streams to the two GPUs simultaneously: you are forced to choose one or the other, by a BIOS switch apparently.

As to why the Xserver doesn't start when you select the iGPU, likely you have an X configuration setup during the Nvidia install that calls for an Nvidia video driver irrespective of which GPU is actually enabled and working.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

According to what ASUS site and manual says about this MB - it doesn't sound like a BIOS switch because the LucidLogix MVP driver makes both GPUs work together (in Windows). So I suppose the question comes down to - what software for linux is needed for that?

None that I know of NVIDA does not really support Optimus on Linux

BTW I just noticed something:

I opened virt-manager and the details about the Windows VM guest. Now when I set video to virtio and Display spice Listen type: none and OpenGL: ON I see 2 GPUs in the dropdown. Screenshot:

http://ultraimg.com/images/2017/11/24/ncea.png

http://ultraimg.com/images/2017/11/24/nce0.png

However booting the guest gives the same error as before enabling iGPU:

"Error starting domain: unsupported configuration: This QEMU doesn't support spice OpenGL"

I have enabled the iGPU in the BIOS setup and installed xf86-video-intel but the monitor connected to it stays off. If I set explicitly that the primary display should be the iGPU, then the monitor connected to the NVIDIA card stays off + X doesn't start:
    Show output of "lspci -nnk" , "dmesg" immediately after boot and xorg.log for both cases (with and without iGPU).

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Show output of "lspci -nnk" , "dmesg" immediately after boot and xorg.log for both cases (with and without iGPU).
    I cannot show any output with iGPU because I simply have no login (not even text one).

I cannot show any output with iGPU because I simply have no login (not even text one).
    You claimed some output of some program demonstrated that your OS saw both GPUs simultaneously. How did you obtain this output if you cannot even login?

If you have another computer, you can ssh into your system (I suppose it boots, just does not show any output).

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    You claimed some output of some program demonstrated that your OS saw both GPUs simultaneously. How did you obtain this output if you cannot even login?
    In post #4 the output is from yast hwinfo - from the case when iGPU is not sent as primary in BIOS. In the case when it is - all I got were some boot time messages. No login prompt (not even a console one).

If you have another computer, you can ssh into your system (I suppose it boots, just does not show any output).
    I can get a laptop and try that. But I am not 100% sure if it will work because the boot procedure may be incomplete and in case network services have not started I may not be able to do it. Anyway I will try.

What should I be looking for in the logs?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast