Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

Question How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

The CPU is i3770 and the NVIDIA card is GTX680. I am willing to enable the iGPU and connect the second monitor to it in order to attempt to configure a VGA passthrough as explained in this article.

I have enabled the iGPU in the BIOS setup and installed xf86-video-intel but the monitor connected to it stays off. If I set explicitly that the primary display should be the iGPU, then the monitor connected to the NVIDIA card stays off + X doesn't start: I see only the boot messages and don't get even a command line login. So it is either one or the other but never both simultaneously.

How can I do that?

Default Re: How to use NVIDIA and Intel GPU simultaneously?

Is your system a desktop or a laptop? Maybe an "Optimus" laptop? Knowing the laptop or motherboard model might help here.
    Also posting the output of:
    Code:
    xrandr --listproviders
    might help understand if what you look for is possible or not.
    Main: Leap 42.2 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Desktop. MB is ASUS P8Z77-V

Code:
    [~]: xrandr --listproviders 
    Providers: number : 1
    Provider 0: id: 0x279; cap: 0x1 (Source Output); crtcs: 4; outputs: 6; associated providers: 0; name: NVIDIA-0
        output DVI-I-0
        output DVI-I-1
        output HDMI-0
        output DP-0
        output DVI-D-0
        output DP-1

In YaST->Hardware Info section Display I see 2 sections:

Code:
    P8 series mother board
    GK104 [GeForce GTX 680]
    Unfolding the P8 series mother board shows various info. Some of it is

Code:
    Drivers->
        Active: Yes
        modprobe: Yes
        modlues->
            modprobe: i915

Resources->
        IO Port->
            Active:Yes,
            Length: 64
            Mode: rw
            start: 61440
    which I suppose means that it is detected.

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Desktop. MB is ASUS P8Z77-V

Code:
    [~]: xrandr --listproviders 
    Providers: number : 1
    Provider 0: id: 0x279; cap: 0x1 (Source Output); crtcs: 4; outputs: 6; associated providers: 0; name: NVIDIA-0
        output DVI-I-0
        output DVI-I-1
        output HDMI-0
        output DP-0
        output DVI-D-0
        output DP-1
    I am not familiar with that MB, but apparently your current configuration allows for only one provider of graphics output, namely the discrete card.
    I guess that you can switch that, as you likely already did, and get "Providers: number : 1" and "name: Intel", but apparently not both providing output at the same time.
    Unless the BIOS setting "iGPU Multi-Monitor [Enabled]" does something magic, but it doesn't look like from what I read on your MB manual.
    Anyway, if you find a setting that gives "Providers: number : 2", that's probably the way to go.
    Or wait for a better expert to answer your question

BTW, having both GPUs powered on and recognized is not enough to have the graphics rendering routed through both of them; your MB wiring and/or BIOS might prevent that possibility.

What could be the reason for X not running when I set iGPU as primary? (in which case the NVIDIA is obviously not active)

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I am not familiar with that MB, but apparently your current configuration allows for only one provider of graphics output, namely the discrete card.
    I guess that you can switch that, as you likely already did, and get "Providers: number : 1" and "name: Intel", but apparently not both providing output at the same time.
    Unless the BIOS setting "iGPU Multi-Monitor [Enabled]" does something magic, but it doesn't look like from what I read on your MB manual.
    Anyway, if you find a setting that gives "Providers: number : 2", that's probably the way to go.
    As you have seen in the manual - there aren't any other options apart from enable/disable iGPU multi-monitor, setting which is the primary GPU and with those I have tried all the 4 possible combinations.
    But I just read that this LucidLogix MVP is something different: it seems to be a technology which enables using the combined power of both the integrated and discrete GPU to increase overall performance (in certain applications like games). All I found though was that it works in Windows 7 and requires a special driver - which is not downloadable from LucidLogix any more.

Hopefully

BTW, having both GPUs powered on and recognized is not enough to have the graphics rendering routed through both of them; your MB wiring and/or BIOS might prevent that possibility.
    I am not quite sure how this is supposed to work internally. It makes sense that both GPUs should be able to work together (at least with that MVP for which I found nothing linux related).

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I am not familiar with that MB
    Expert on this motherboard? I would tentatively think vendor forums would be better place to ask.

It makes sense that both GPUs should be able to work together
    To use them together operating system must at the very least see both of them. So far you did not provide any evidence that both GPUs are seen by Linux simultaneously.

I actually tried Integrated+Nvidia GTX 750Ti at the same time using bumblebee. It is not optimus, but taking advantage of it to create/render a window/object with the full GPU and rest of it on Integrated.

It was VERY finnicky, for example default kernel update for LEAP 42.3 WILL NOT work the kernel required by bumblebee, so you will have to disable LEAP 42.3 update from repository, or change the default kernel from Boot Loaders.

One of the tricks to make sure that linux loads both dGPU and iGPU is to plug monitors through both(in my case VGA for iGPU and DVI for dGPU), and "copy screen" in display setting.

As I said, it is VERY finicky. Sometimes it loads one, sometimes neither, sometimes both. There will be a lot of reboots to make it work 100% of the time. I did have it stabilized, and an update destroyed the setup, but from my limited experience, bumblebeed was my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    To use them together operating system must at the very least see both of them. So far you did not provide any evidence that both GPUs are seen by Linux simultaneously.
    Isn't post #4 an evidence that Linux sees the hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    I actually tried Integrated+Nvidia GTX 750Ti at the same time using bumblebee. It is not optimus, but taking advantage of it to create/render a window/object with the full GPU and rest of it on Integrated.

It was VERY finnicky, for example default kernel update for LEAP 42.3 WILL NOT work the kernel required by bumblebee, so you will have to disable LEAP 42.3 update from repository, or change the default kernel from Boot Loaders.

One of the tricks to make sure that linux loads both dGPU and iGPU is to plug monitors through both(in my case VGA for iGPU and DVI for dGPU), and "copy screen" in display setting.

As I said, it is VERY finicky. Sometimes it loads one, sometimes neither, sometimes both. There will be a lot of reboots to make it work 100% of the time. I did have it stabilized, and an update destroyed the setup, but from my limited experience, bumblebeed was my solution.
    Actually I installed bumblebee before starting this thread. As per the notice which bumblebee's yast installation shows: I added my user to groups 'bumblebee' and 'video' (as I am using the binary nvidia driver). I also ran mkinitrd and rebooted. Unfortunately that didn't help. All I got was these errors in the boot messages and there was no option for a second screen in Plasma settings (although my 2 monitors we connected to dGPU and iGPU respectively).

Could you please provide more detail on how you made it work, what kernel you used and so on?

I have enabled the iGPU in the BIOS setup and installed xf86-video-intel but the monitor connected to it stays off. If I set explicitly that the primary display should be the iGPU, then the monitor connected to the NVIDIA card stays off + X doesn't start: I see only the boot messages and don't get even a command line login. So it is either one or the other but never both simultaneously.
    Originally Posted by arvidjaar
    Isn't post #4 an evidence that Linux sees the hardware?
    You said it, never both simultaneously.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast