Thread: When trying to run "zypper dup" it tells me that 2044 elements are locked.

Default When trying to run "zypper dup" it tells me that 2044 elements are locked.

Hello!

First time posting here, so I hope I posted in the right section. Otherwise _do tell me_ where I should have posted it.

I recently installed Tumbleweed with Gnome and holy heck it's great. I uninstalled a couple of different programs that I didn't need and I also tabooed them, to make sure they wouldn't try to reinstall when I updated. I uninstalled and tabooed the following packages and patterns (with yast!):
    • xorg-x11-Xvnc
    • tigervnc-x11vnc
    • tigervnc
    • patterns-gnome-gnome-games
    • patterns-games
    • gnome-shell-search-provider-bijiben
    • bijiben-lang
    • bijiben

After doing this i went on and performed a
    Code:
    # zypper dup
    and it returned the following:

Code:
    The following 2044 elements are locked and wont be changed by any action:
    Avaible:
    bijiben bijiben-lang gnome-shell-search-provider-bijiben patterns-games-games
    patterns-gnome-gnome_games tigervnc tigervnc-x11vnc xorg-x11-Xvnc
    Installed:
    ---many packages ---- (read: Of course it didn't actually say that)
    .... and 1936 further elements

Run 'zypper locks -s' for a complete list of locked elements

Nothing to do
    (excuse me for mis-translations, my system is in danish, so I'm not 100% what it would have said in english!)

Now my question is if it's supposed to be this way? Or does it mean I borked something and now wont update properly? I have tried running
    Code:
    zypper dup
    for the last couple of days and I would have imagined something would have gotten an update in this

Thank you
    rtbj

(and thank you to everyone who contributed to this project. It seems like a really nice distribution. Everything is pretty polished, no funny business and still manages to be so up to date that it tickles my "shiny new stuff" syndrome. I will definitely be looking into getting Leap on my server when I get zypper and yast figured out.)

Blog Entries

Default Re: When trying to run "zypper dup" it tells me that 2044 elements are locked.

2044 locks seems like a mistake. I'm not sure how it got that way.

You can examine the file "/etc/zypp/locks". That should be readable by all, and is a list of the locked packages.

If you want to remove all locks, then
    Code:
    cp /dev/null /etc/zypp/locks
    should do that (but you need to be root for that command). Just removing that "locks" file probably also works.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: When trying to run "zypper dup" it tells me that 2044 elements are locked.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    2044 locks seems like a mistake. I'm not sure how it got that way.

You can examine the file "/etc/zypp/locks". That should be readable by all, and is a list of the locked packages.

If you want to remove all locks, then
    Code:
    cp /dev/null /etc/zypp/locks
    should do that (but you need to be root for that command). Just removing that "locks" file probably also works.
    Ah perfect! I executed a
    # mv locks locks.old
    Went into yast and tabooed the stuff I didn't want again and that fixed it!

Thanks a lot!