Thread: Display letters missing

Default Display letters missing

My ASUS laptop with standard install and KDE Plasma sometimes has letters missing in the menu and task bar. Sometimes it is OK at other times you can hardly read what the menus are as you can see here https://paste.opensuse.org/83304725. I cannot say why it is there only sometimes and at other times it is OK.
    I have the following graphics card:
    Code:
    uli@linux-tl1r:~> /sbin/lspci -vv
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1be2
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Latency: 0
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 29
            Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
            Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Region 4: I/O ports at e080 [size=8]
            Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
            Capabilities: <access denied>
            Kernel driver in use: i915
            Kernel modules: i915
    I have tried all settings in systemsettings5 for Rendering Backend: OpenGL 3.1, OpenGL 2.0 and XRender and it makes no difference. Most Desktop effects are disabled since I use this computer for working. SInce everything else works OK and it is only the display of these letters I haven't bothered for a while but it should be able to display the menus/programmes properly. What can cause these strange effects that some letters are replaced by spaces and others are displayed?
    CHeers
    Uli

Default Re: Display letters missing

OK some more searching on the internet indicates that this is a bug in the intel graphics driver which is reported for RedHat (#1323762) and LinuxMint (#3811). I tried to change the settings according to the workaround in LinuxMint. Here: Systemsettings5 > Fonts - there change Use anti-aliasing > enabled and set Configuring to Sub-pixel rendering type > RGB and Hinting style > Slight. After logout and login all the letters were there. I still am not too sure since these missing letters don't happen every time but if it happens again I will report.

I had the same problem. As crazy as it sounds, the solution was to uninstall xf86-video-intel. I know this sounds like the kiss of death since how could the system possibly work without the video driver. But it does. Check out
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00725.html

Specifically
    You could try uninstalling xf86-video-intel. That should cause Xorg to run on
    Xorg's integrated modesetting driver, which all my Intel machines that aren't
    too old for it to support are happily using.
    Mind you I don't understand why this works. If there is a better solution, I'm all ears. This also got rid of my google earth lockup.

As a rant, this will be the last notebook I buy with intel graphics. My intent was to avoid the Nvidia blob (Linus giving the finger) and run with open source (yeah) drivers, but intel graphics has been nothing but a pain in the last few years. No offense to the overworked Opensuse maintainers. The other reason I'm going to abandon intel graphics is to run opencl and/or cuda. I never got the intel opencl to work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post
    Mind you I don't understand why this works.
    It works because there is a driver built into the Xorg server that works with most gfxchips regardless of brand. It simply is not used when a brand-specific driver is available and nothing is configured to override its use. The driver actually in use can be found by looking at Xorg.0.log, where instead of e.g. intel(0) or nouveau(0) or radeon(0), you'll see modeset(0) repeated many times.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    It works because there is a driver built into the Xorg server that works with most gfxchips regardless of brand. It simply is not used when a brand-specific driver is available and nothing is configured to override its use. The driver actually in use can be found by looking at Xorg.0.log, where instead of e.g. intel(0) or nouveau(0) or radeon(0), you'll see modeset(0) repeated many times.
    So is the Xorg default driver what is known as the opensource linux driver?

BTW I also got rid of some intel specific program related to DRM. That really did a number on my notebook. I did a search on intel DRM in the forum but didn't find the post that clued me into uninstalling that program.

Thanks for your comments, gariac and mrmazda. So far the settings described in my post (second post here) seem to do the trick so far and the graphic is working OK. But I forgot to write that I created the following file (named 20-intel.conf) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d:
    Code:
    uli@linux-tl1r:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d> cat 20-intel.conf
    Section "Device"
               Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
               Driver      "intel"
               Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection
    uli@linux-tl1r:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d>
    How is your graphics display with the generic driver compared to the intel driver?
    Cheers
    Uli

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post
    So is the Xorg default driver what is known as the opensource linux driver?
    The modesetting driver provided by the Xorg server is an opensource driver, not the opensource driver. Most Linux drivers are open source, available via the default repositories. AMD Catalyst and NVidia are examples of proprietary (closed source) drivers, not available via default repositories.