Thread: Leap won't start

Default Leap won't start

Acer Travelmate TMB 113E

Installed Leap 42.3 from DVD accepting all defaults except choosing ext4 file system instead of XFS or BTRS. No errors reported. It installed grub for efi. It won't boot. I get a "No bootable device..." message. But if I fire up my live Super Grub2 CD, it finds Leap and boots it. Once booted I go to YaSt>System>Boot Loader, make an insignificant change and ask to continue. What I get is "Execution of command /usr/sbin/shim-install -config-file /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.......failed.

I can't get into the BIOS not having the requested password, which is not in the documentation. I believe Acer could help me with that except that I bought it in another country and did not register it (in a foreign language) and the proof of purchase is in another continent. I could not find the jumper to reset the CMOS.

fdisk shows...

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 298.1 GiB, 320072933376 bytes, 625142448 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 37E92A47-0A2E-4E20-8432-EF0DB23F230D

Device        Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
    /dev/sda1      2048    321535    319488   156M EFI System
    /dev/sda2    321536   4530175   4208640     2G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda3   4530176  25511935  20981760    10G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda4  25511936 625141759 599629824 285.9G Microsoft basic data
    gdisk shows....

Code:
    # gdisk /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): p
    Disk /dev/sda: 625142448 sectors, 298.1 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 37E92A47-0A2E-4E20-8432-EF0DB23F230D
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 625142414
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 2669 sectors (1.3 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          321535   156.0 MiB   EF00  primary
       2          321536         4530175   2.0 GiB     0700  primary
       3         4530176        25511935   10.0 GiB    0700  primary
       4        25511936       625141759   285.9 GiB   0700  primary
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Leap won't start

You can try to reset the password, unplug the PC. Open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery for approx. 15-30 minutes and then put it back.
    It'll reset all BIOS settings as well as the password and you'll need to re-enter all settings.

If it fails, then try to remove the battery for at least one hour.

See: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-i-res...-password.html

Good Luck!
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Blog Entries

On Tue 21 Nov 2017 01:26:01 AM CST, ionmich wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Hi
    What about the output from efibootmgr -v

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Romanator View Post
    You can try to reset the password, unplug the PC. Open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery for approx. 15-30 minutes and then put it back.
    It'll reset all BIOS settings as well as the password and you'll need to re-enter all settings.

If it fails, then try to remove the battery for at least one hour.

See: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-i-res...-password.html

Good Luck!
    Well I took it apart looking for a jumper or battery. I found neither. The two Acer manuals layout .pdfs I did find looked nothing like my motherboard. And three failures logging in did not produce a number. That's why I am looking for a software solution.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    What about the output from efibootmgr -v
    "EFI variables are not supported on this system."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    "EFI variables are not supported on this system."
    Hi
    Which means your booting in Legacy mode with a system setup to boot in efi mode.... you need to work and getting into the BIOS, else wipe the disk and set back to type dos as opposed to gpt and re-install.

So if you press the boot menu key (F12 or F2?) do you get an option here to select efi booting or an efi file to boot from?
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Hi
    Which means your booting in Legacy mode with a system setup to boot in efi mode.... you need to work and getting into the BIOS, else wipe the disk and set back to type dos as opposed to gpt and re-install.

So if you press the boot menu key (F12 or F2?) do you get an option here to select efi booting or an efi file to boot from?
    F2 asks me for a password I don't have. F12 lets me boot from DVD or HDD or Network. Selecting DVD allows me to boot from a Live SuperGrub2 DVD. Selecting HDD it fails. So now I will try wiping the disk and partitioning to type DOS. I was not aware that would work.

Blog Entries

F2 asks me for a password I don't have. F12 lets me boot from DVD or HDD or Network. Selecting DVD allows me to boot from a Live SuperGrub2 DVD. Selecting HDD it fails. So now I will try wiping the disk and partitioning to type DOS. I was not aware that would work.
    Hi
    Or is it the hard drive that is password protected....

If you google "Acer Travelmate TMB 113E"+"Clear system BIOS" seems there is a jumper to short to clear the BIOS password.

Hi
    Or is it the hard drive that is password protected....

If you google "Acer Travelmate TMB 113E"+"Clear system BIOS" seems there is a jumper to short to clear the BIOS password.
    Thanks for the speedy response and help. Ah yes, use the jumper. But i can't find it or the battery it uses. One user had to...

HTML Code:
    I tried every recommendation I could find but with no success. 
    The answer does actually lie with shorting the C2201 jumper pads. Most reviews I found were for a different laptop saying they were under the Wireless card.

The problem with this laptop was they were under the RAM and to short them, you needed to remove the RAM. Problem then is, the system will not POST.

My resolution was to solder the two pads, then reinstall the RAM. Follow the procedure recommended.
    When you do this, the system will seem to be in a POST loop. It will atempt to POST, then restart. After this had happened a few times, I turned the system off, removed the solder jumper and, voila!
     ]
    I'm not about to start soldering on a motherboard since I don't have the right kind of tools.

As for partitioning with legacy DOS. The installation warns me that it won't boot unless I have a FAT partition mounted under /boot/efi. This is what I did in the last six installation attempts that have failed to boot.

But I have this question. If SupeGrub2 can find the OS AND BOOT IT, why can't grub create a bootable boot file from the running OS? And if SuperGrub2 can boot the OS, doesn't that mean that the drive does not need a password?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the speedy response and help. Ah yes, use the jumper. But i can't find it or the battery it uses. One user had to...

HTML Code:
    I tried every recommendation I could find but with no success. 
    The answer does actually lie with shorting the C2201 jumper pads. Most reviews I found were for a different laptop saying they were under the Wireless card.

The problem with this laptop was they were under the RAM and to short them, you needed to remove the RAM. Problem then is, the system will not POST.

My resolution was to solder the two pads, then reinstall the RAM. Follow the procedure recommended.
    When you do this, the system will seem to be in a POST loop. It will atempt to POST, then restart. After this had happened a few times, I turned the system off, removed the solder jumper and, voila!
     ]
    I'm not about to start soldering on a motherboard since I don't have the right kind of tools.

As for partitioning with legacy DOS. The installation warns me that it won't boot unless I have a FAT partition mounted under /boot/efi. This is what I did in the last six installation attempts that have failed to boot.

But I have this question. If SupeGrub2 can find the OS AND BOOT IT, why can't grub create a bootable boot file from the running OS? And if SuperGrub2 can boot the OS, doesn't that mean that the drive does not need a password?
    Hi
    I would guess it loading the initrd etc direct from /boot (different from the /boot/efi/ partition) hence your booting in legacy mode.

You can use a small piece of tinfoil and maybe a small piece of plasticine to hold in place to short the pins? I'd be weary of any tape since it may contain a static charge.