Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 89

Thread: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,770
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Hmm, but I don't have any radeon files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, only a 50-device.conf:

    Code:
    # Having multiple "Device" sections is known to be problematic. Make
    # sure you don't have in use another one laying around e.g. in another
    # xorg.conf.d file or even a generic xorg.conf file. More details can
    # be found in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32430.
    #
    #Section "Device"
    #  Identifier "Default Device"
    #
    #  #Driver "radeon"
    #
    #  ## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
    #  ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
    #  #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"
    #
    #EndSection
    ...but apparently everything is commented-out here, or?
    Hi
    Correct, the system figures out the driver etc to use for your card (radeon) then if it's an old one like yours additional tweaks may be required, either via kernel module parameters of a user created 20-radeon.conf file.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  2. #12

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    Would it be safe to try this as 20-radeon.conf:

    Code:
    Section "Device"         Identifier  "Radeon"
            Driver "radeon"
            Option "EXAVSync" "on"
            Option "TearFree" "on"
    EndSection
    Does this have to be activated or is it active on boot automagically?
    Kind regards

    raspu

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,770
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Would it be safe to try this as 20-radeon.conf:

    Code:
    Section "Device"         Identifier  "Radeon"
            Driver "radeon"
            Option "EXAVSync" "on"
            Option "TearFree" "on"
    EndSection
    Does this have to be activated or is it active on boot automagically?
    Hi
    It will be, if you look at the output from lspci you can see what drivers are in use;
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    The EXAVSync may/maynot cause issues (perhaps omit it for the moment) with your card, but you can also look at the Xorg.0.log file in ~/.local/share/xorg for what is happening.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #14

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    I have here:

    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV740/M97 GL [FirePro M7740] [1002:94a3]
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02ef]
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
            Kernel modules: radeon
    ...but there is absolutely no xorg in the folder .local/share/

    Do you mean I should try:

    Code:
    Section "Device"         
            Identifier  "Radeon"
            Driver "radeon"
            Option "EXAVSync" "off"
            Option "TearFree" "on" 
    EndSection
    ? Many thanks in advance...
    Kind regards

    raspu

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,770
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    I have here:

    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV740/M97 GL [FirePro M7740] [1002:94a3]
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02ef]
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
            Kernel modules: radeon
    ...but there is absolutely no xorg in the folder .local/share/

    Do you mean I should try:

    Code:
    Section "Device"         
            Identifier  "Radeon"
            Driver "radeon"
            Option "EXAVSync" "off"
            Option "TearFree" "on" 
    EndSection
    ? Many thanks in advance...

    Hi
    Then the logs should be down in /var/log/xorg

    Use;
    Code:
    Section "Device"         
            Identifier  "Radeon"
            Driver "radeon"
            Option "TearFree" "on" 
    EndSection
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #16

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    In the xorg.0.log I find nothing related to EXAVSync, while TearFree is set to auot, I guess:

    Code:
    63.506 (==) RADEON(0): TearFree property default: auto
    Kind regards

    raspu

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,770
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    In the xorg.0.log I find nothing related to EXAVSync, while TearFree is set to auot, I guess:

    Code:
    63.506 (==) RADEON(0): TearFree property default: auto
    Hi
    Which may/maynot set it to off... so run with the 20-radeon.conf file and see if it helps.

    Perhaps post your current Xorg log on SUSE Paste
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #18

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    ...I copied this 20-file into the directory /etc/x11/... and rebooted. Wait'n see...

    Here is the log

    http://paste.opensuse.org/4b4a8439
    Kind regards

    raspu

  9. #19

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    ...log is an old one from yesterday, I forgot to say! Any need to see the log for the latest boot also?
    Kind regards

    raspu

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,770
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: ATI FirePro M7740 went unstable - any ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    ...log is an old one from yesterday, I forgot to say! Any need to see the log for the latest boot also?
    Hi
    Yes the latest one
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •