Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alienware 15(2015) 2 x M.2 SSD + SSHD, Grub fails to recognize W10

Default Alienware 15(2015) 2 x M.2 SSD + SSHD, Grub fails to recognize W10

Hello, I gave in and decided to get myself a gaming laptop, this is an Alienware 2015, 15" laptop.

I decided to give it 2 M2 sticks and 1 SSHD.

One M2 stick has W10 and formatted SSHD with 2 partitions. One Windows dedicated partition and one Shared.
    One M2 stick has OpenSUSE LEAP 42.2.

I first had some issues even booting from installed LEAP 42.2 since the W10 was automatically installed as Intel Secure Boot setting, and AHCI boot incapable. Eventually, I was able to access the M2 with OpenSUSE on it. At the initial boot, the Boot Loader and Grub detected W10 Windows Boot Manager.

After checking LEAP installation(which I will ask for help in another thread), I gave it a reboot. At the reboot the Windows Boot Manager from GRUB menu disappeared. It seems to have been gone for good.

W10 seems 100% fine, I can boot from it fine. Also, if I interrupt the boot, and boot from OpenSUSE M2, it boots fine to OpenSUSE.

Since then, os-prober does not detect W10, and Boot Loader is not detecting W10 either.

I have no idea what's going on. How did it detect the OS the first initial boot after fresh install, but never again? Could someone help me shove the Windows Boot Manager back to the Grub Menu please?
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 15-Apr-2020 at 14:53.

Default Re: Alienware 15(2015) 2 x M.2 SSD + SSHD, Grub fails to recognize W10

You probably installed in MBR mode instead of EFI. Different OS can not see on another to chain if using different boot methods

BTW what is a M2 stick?? Something Alien

I don't think it's MBR, because there is no "usual" MBR partition on the W10 M2

M.2 SSD I mean.

Default AW: Alienware 15(2015) 2 x M.2 SSD + SSHD, Grub fails to recognize W10

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    ... Eventually, I was able to access the M2 with OpenSUSE on it.
    Please provide more details on how you managed to achive that.

... Also, if I interrupt the boot, and boot from OpenSUSE M2, it boots fine to OpenSUSE.
    I'm not quite sure what you did here: Using the UEFI boot selection?

Please provide more information.

Start your openSUSE system, open a terminal, become "root" and provide the results returned by the following commands:
    Code:
    # dmidecode -t 1
    Code:
    # [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot" || echo "Legacy boot"
    Code:
    # od -An -t u1 /sys/firmware/efi/vars/SecureBoot-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c/data
    Code:
    # efibootmgr -v
    Code:
    # parted -l
    Regards

susejunky

There is no such thing as a MBR partition there can be and should be a EFI partition on the boot drive if any of the os boot EFI

If booting in EFI mode you should see grub2-efi in the Yast boot section not just grub2

the W10 Drive has:
    100MB EFI partition, 450MB Recovery and classic C partition.

This is an extension to:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...#post-10634234

As for achieving boot on linux drive this is how it happened simplified:
    1. W10 fresh installed on one M2.
    2. SSHD partitioned and loaded
    3. with external DVD drive, OpenSUSE LEAP 42.2 KDE installed on the other M2. 2 Partitions. SWAP and Root.
    4. Could not boot from the OpenSUSE SSD.
    5. Changed W10 to AHCI compatible
    6. BIOS set to AHCI mode
    7. BIOS secure boot disabled
    8. BIOS Legacy boot enabled
    9. BIOS Legacy allowed me to boot from OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE boot loader could see the Windows Boot Manager
    10. Initial update + reboot, and OpenSUSE could no longer read Windows Boot Manager.

As for output from terminal commands. I will do that as soon as I am booting from OpenSUSE again, right now I am still tweaking things on W10.

Legacy is MBR boot You must boot the installer media in EFI mode to boot the result in EFI mode all OS must use the same boot method to be able the chain between them

There should be a EFI boot partition on the drive that has Windows use that for you openSUSE EFI boot mounted at /boot/efi (note do not format that partition!)

Right now, re-installing OpenSUSE is definitely a viable option, because I spent very little time setting it up, because I only bought this laptop this past Friday.

Should I re-install OpenSUSE in EFI mode with just / and swap?

Default AW: Re: Alienware 15(2015) 2 x M.2 SSD + SSHD, Grub fails to recognize W10

the W10 Drive has:
    100MB EFI partition, 450MB Recovery and classic C partition.
    Sounds like MS Windows 10 was installed to boot with UEFI.
    ... As for achieving boot on linux drive this is how it happened simplified:
    1. W10 fresh installed on one M2.
    2. SSHD partitioned and loaded
    3. with external DVD drive, OpenSUSE LEAP 42.2 KDE installed on the other M2. 2 Partitions. SWAP and Root.
    4. Could not boot from the OpenSUSE SSD.
    5. Changed W10 to AHCI compatible
    6. BIOS set to AHCI mode
    7. BIOS secure boot disabled
    8. BIOS Legacy boot enabled
    9. BIOS Legacy allowed me to boot from OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE boot loader could see the Windows Boot Manager
    So openSUSE ist installed to be booted in Legacy mode.
    ... 10. Initial update + reboot, and OpenSUSE could no longer read Windows Boot Manager.

As for output from terminal commands. I will do that as soon as I am booting from OpenSUSE again, right now I am still tweaking things on W10.
    You switched your UEFI to Legacy mode in order to boot openSUSE. So, did you switch it back to UEFI mode in order to boot MS Windows 10 again or can you boot MS Windows 10 while your UEFI is still switched to Legacy mode?

As far as i know you have to use UEFI boot mode for openSUSE as well if your MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode.

But there is no need to reinstall openSUSE in order to switch it from Legacy boot mode to UEFI boot mode.

Regards

susejunky

When I switch back to UEFI mode from BOOT,
    there is literally no option to boot from OpenSUSE SSD.

I know even from UEFI boot, I can at least access boot from each drive, but not this case. I can only boot into the 2nd SSD only in Legacy mode.

I am not sure if this is alienware bios problem, or linux problem.

I never ran into the same issue on lenovo nor panasonic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast