Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: USB stick's 3 "undeletable" directories.

Default Re: USB stick's 3 "undeletable" directories.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Opinions don't count in ICT , we love booleans.

I would have dd't the actual device, not a partition. So
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=100
    where I add the bs= option to set the block size of writing ( 1 MB ) and count= to set the number of blocks to write. This combo makes sure the partition table is destroyed completely and allows the stick to be repartitioned and have filesystems on the new partitions.
    From the other side of the equator, but timely I hope
    Thanks for this. It's now my Wed mid-morning, but i did actually see your reply very late last night. I immediately tried it, & was so upset at what i discovered [NOT upset at your advice, but at what my naughty stick has now done], but too tired to think clearly, so i decided to look again after some sleep.

Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> sudo blkid[sudo] password for root: 

/dev/sdc1: PARTUUID="0008e9e6-01"

gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> sudo dd 'status=progress' if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=100
    100+0 records in
    100+0 records out
    104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 0.026515 s, 4.0 GB/s
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~>
    This is what Dolphin showed me after earlier running "deano's" command, & continued to show me after "your" command [ie, the now-obliterated 100 GB VeraCrypt volume on the stick seems never to have "given back" its space; my 128 GB stick became a 17 GB stick. But wait, it gets even worse, read on...]:

Now this morning, having unmounted & removed the stick from Tower, upon reinserting it Tower no longer even detects it. Sigh. I booted up Lappy & tried it there... also nothing at all. Expletives.

PS - I hope my thanks to deano for fast replies was not accidentally construed by any other Mods as insulting them. Everyone here is wonderful re help & i did not intend to imply otherwise. It's just that i was kinda sharing some antipodean wry humour about us being in an apparent latitudinal minority here.

Those commands will wipe the file system and the partition table if successful so you must re partition and establish a new file system. That assumes that the device still works

Yes i knew/know that, thanks... but possibly what i failed to understand is that a consequence of that is that neither pc now even knows that the stick is inserted in a(ny) USB port. If the stick is not detected by the OS, how can i proceed to do those important next steps you described?

EDIT: Ah, more coffee needed. Answer = GParted. I'm a dope.

Yay, thanks so much [all, in each timezone!]. Post-gparted, with creating msdos partition table then new ext4 partition, Dolphin [of course] now sees the stick. It claims it has "110.8 GB free of 116.9 GB (5% used)". Is it right for me to conclude that the "missing" space [it is / was notionally a 128 GB stick, once] is the result of the unserviceable blocks gogalthorp previously described?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGirl View Post
    Yes i knew/know that, thanks... but possibly what i failed to understand is that a consequence of that is that neither pc now even knows that the stick is inserted in a(ny) USB port. If the stick is not detected by the OS, how can i proceed to do those important next steps you described?

EDIT: Ah, more coffee needed. Answer = GParted. I'm a dope.
    Yes, if it doesn't have a filesystem on it then you won't get notified, but low-level utilities should still enumerate it eg
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Code:
    lsblk
    and it will be reported by the kernel (as a block device) when first attached...
    Code:
    dmesg|tail

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234