Thread: File Dialogs unresponsive

Default File Dialogs unresponsive

Whether i am trying to attach a file to an email or perhaps save a Kate document ... anything to do that requires a file dialog to load it seems .... the dialog take about 1 minute to load and then is mostly unresponsive.

I cannot see any bottleneck with respect to memory or thread usage ... but stull application becomes unresponsive.

Also, Gwenview acts the same way when trying to load an image from disk ... same behaviour ... after envoking the app it does not appear in the GUI for about a minute .. then often just becomes totally unresponsive???

Have been putting up with it for a month now??

Sorry cannot be more specific ... can anybody suggest something i might do??

Thanks
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

Default Re: File Dialogs unresponsive

Try a different user first

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Try a different user first

Well spotted googalthorp!!! Creating a new user and all those 'unresponsive' issue disappear!!

Have you a suggestion on how i can free-up the 'infected' user??

I would be most grateful indeed!

Thanks

Geoff
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

Well it is probably in the users ~/.config files for plasma or ~/.cache. Best to clean them out when not running KDE ie log in to a terminal. Which file?? Sorry don't have a clue maybe someone else might know or guess. Note cleaning out the configs will put the Desktop back to default settings

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well it is probably in the users ~/.config files for plasma or ~/.cache. Best to clean them out when not running KDE ie log in to a terminal. Which file?? Sorry don't have a clue maybe someone else might know or guess. Note cleaning out the configs will put the Desktop back to default settings
    Okay .. fair enough ... will do that when i get some free time.

Thanks for the pointer