Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating Tumbleweed

Default Updating Tumbleweed

Hi folks, Yeasterday I read a long conversation on the mailing list about the correct way to update TW. It seems that even the top gurus of this parish have sort-of agreed to disagree on the topic, but that a consensus seems to favour:
    Code:
     #zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change
    ??

There was no mention in the conversation of the updater 'applet' which checks daily or whenever, and pops up in the taskbar.. Can someone tell me whether simply allowing the updater applet to do its thing is OK? And what "zypper commands" it is actually performing?
    My previous habit, on 13.2 and before was to notice the updater telling me that there was updates available and then to do
    Code:
    #zypper ref && zypper up
    I get a warning that this is not recommended now, and that I should:
    Code:
    #zypper dup
    But this also gives a warning.

Is best practice
    Code:
    ??

Or something else?

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

Default Re: Updating Tumbleweed

Le 17/11/2017 à 11:46, wakou a écrit :

> consensus seems to favour:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > #zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change
    > --------------------

yes. I was also uncertain some month ago and this is what we should now
    think as official, and the option no-allow-vendor-change is now default
    so go for zypper dup :-)

> me whether simply allowing the updater applet to do its thing is OK? And
    > what "zypper commands" it is actually performing?

good question, I don't have an answer

jdd

the updater app will NOT do the right thing. I have brought this up on the mailing list as misleading/dangerous and should be disabled but to no avail.

Updater is more like zypper up then zypper dup so should not be used on TW

Thank you! So I should:
    Code:
    When the applet alerts me that updates are needed/available?

Yes, "zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change" from the command line is the only correct way to update TW

"--no-allow-vendor-change" is now the default, so a simple "zypper dup" is sufficient, although there is no harm in still specifying it, indeed I still use it myself from habit.

You could rely upon the updater to inform you.

Other options would be to perform the update on a regular basis (weekly for example), or to follow the factory mailing list https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/ for snapshot release announcements.
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    My previous habit, on 13.2 and before was to notice the updater telling me that there was updates available and then to do
    Code:
    #zypper ref && zypper up
    That was a good habit and still is for the "regular" Leap releases. Actually "zypper up" does also a "ref" if needed, so the "zypper ref" part is overkill.
    Basically, "zypper up" only upgrades packages to a higher version, while "zypper dup" also downgrades a package to a lower version if the repo carries a version lower than that installed in the system; this may occasionally happen on Tumbleweed when a troubled package is reverted to a previous version while the newer one gets fixed. When that happens, "zypper up", or the update applet, will leave you with a broken system on Tumbleweed.
    Hope this makes things clearer to you.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

"Hope this makes things clearer to you." It doesn't, but thank you!

just to add to the confusion, I have this in my daily cron job:

Code:
    zypper -n -q dup --no-recommends --auto-agree-with-licenses --replacefiles --allow-vendor-change
    It's been running like this for well over a year. There are a few things to note, though: packman is the only addon repo configured besides the regular tumbleweed repos. No nvidia, no KDE extras, no kernel, nothing. On the rare occasion when I need a package not in tumbleweed+packman, I download it from OBS repo and install it manually. The cronjob will not remove those. Oh, and I have plasma5-pk-updates uninstalled and on the lock list.

I think all of this discussion about vendor change comes from addon repos. If you do not have a ton of addon repos, it is fairly safe to use allow-vendor-change as the worst that can happen is a short term switch from packman to tumbleweed and then back. In fact, I was somewhat put off at the change to making the "no" default. But then, nothing you cannot change with a very small shell script.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markdd View Post
    Code:
    zypper -n -q dup --no-recommends --auto-agree-with-licenses --replacefiles --allow-vendor-change
    I also use "--allow-vendor-change", though I'm not doing it with a cron job.

As in your case, my only repos are the standard ones plus packman. The standard repos have priority 99, while packman has priority 98. So allowing vendor change should sort things out correctly (prefer packman where there is a choice).

As best I can tell (sometimes running with the "--allow-vendor-change") is that it will usually make the same vendor changes (if any) either way. But, with "--allow-vendor-change" it won't give me a conflict resolution dialog.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast