Thread: Package installation failed: cannot open Packages index anymore!

Exclamation Package installation failed: cannot open Packages index anymore!

Hi openSUSE community,
    Everything was fine until I try to install the package kernel-devel this morning, I obtained an error that I ignored (unwise!).
    Now I obtain these errors:
    Code:
    orsos@linux-pkwf:~> sudo zypper clean -a
    [sudo] password for root:  
    error: rpmdb: __fop_file_setup:  Retry limit (100) exceeded
    error: cannot open Packages index using db4 - File exists (17)
    Target initialization failed:
    Rpm Exception                                                                                                                                               
    Cannot clean installed packages cache because of an error.
    Some of the repositories have not been cleaned up because of an error.

Code:
    orsos@linux-pkwf:~> rpm -qa
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Is there any way out of this?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Package installation failed: cannot open Packages index anymore!

Try

rpm --rebuilddb

Here we are:
    Code:
    orsos@linux-pkwf:~> sudo rpm --rebuilddb

How bad is this?

Follow (carefully!) the full RPM Database Recovery procedure as shown here:

http://rpm.org/user_doc/db_recovery.html

If errors occur don't ignore them...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191016) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

I started the procedure on http://rpm.org/user_doc/db_recovery.html

Code:
    orsos@linux-pkwf:/var/lib/rpm> sudo /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_stat -CA
    rpmdb_stat: DB_ENV->open: No such file or directory

Code:
    orsos@linux-pkwf:/var/lib/rpm> lsof | grep /var/lib/rpm
    bash      2937           orsos  cwd       DIR               0,39       276      34718 /var/lib/rpm
    lsof      3031           orsos  cwd       DIR               0,39       276      34718 /var/lib/rpm
    grep      3032           orsos  cwd       DIR               0,39       276      34718 /var/lib/rpm
    lsof      3033           orsos  cwd       DIR               0,39       276      34718 /var/lib/rpm

I did a backup of the rpm.
    The following command returns nothing
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages
    Everything good so far?

When I do...
    Code:
    sudo rpm -qa

...nothing is printed in my console, meaning no installed rpm recognized, right?
    Should I attempt at following this cookbook https://www.informatimago.com/linux/rpm-rebuilddb.html ?

Quote Originally Posted by orsos View Post
    ...nothing is printed in my console, meaning no installed rpm recognized, right?
    Should I attempt at following this cookbook https://www.informatimago.com/linux/rpm-rebuilddb.html ?
    Not looking too good ...

Yes, as the rpm database does seem rather broken, you've probably little to lose by trying that procedure, but I've no idea of the likelihood of a successful outcome.

Prior to attempting that it may be worthwhile asking on the rpm mailing list, (see: http://rpm.org/community.html ) where there are likely more knowledgeable people who may offer better or alternate advice.
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by orsos View Post
    Everything was fine until I try to install the package kernel-devel this morning, I obtained an error that I ignored (unwise!).
    I only just saw you had another thread, https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...uncommon-cause

It is quite possible as a result of that, the rpm database is in an indeterminate state...
    Regards, Paul

In the end, I simply reinstalled the system and now everything back on track. For my abilities, less time consuming than rebuilding the RPM db from scratch, or at least I could not find an "easy" fix.

Cool Re: Package installation failed: cannot open Packages index anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    I only just saw you had another thread, https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...uncommon-cause
    It is quite possible as a result of that, the rpm database is in an indeterminate state...
    If all this is true, then, it seems that, when the system partition(s) are located within a Btrfs file system which has become full, there is a danger that, the system's RPM database will be irrecoverably corrupted.

Which means that, the RPM database will need to be re-populated from an examination of the installed system files.
    • Catch 22: the system directories are also located within the Btrfs file system (which was over-full) and therefore, are, possibly, also corrupted.

Therefore, IMHO, the only valid solutions are:
    1. Attempt to initialise a new RPM database from knowledge of the installed system files -- the installed RPM package list may, however, be incomplete because, some of the system files located within the Btrfs file system (which was over-full) have been corrupted;
    2. Restore the partitions located within the Btrfs file system from a reliable -- confirmed reliable -- system backup;
    3. Reinstall the system from scratch.