Thread: Zypper dup indicates problems with Cinnamon

Default Zypper dup indicates problems with Cinnamon

... or 'unmet dependencies,' if that would be a better phrase.

The problem:

I booted to console, ran zypper dup, and was unpleasantly surprised to see:

Code:
    Problem: nothing provides cinnamon-settings-daemon >= 3.6.0 needed by cinnamon-settings-daemon-lang-3.6.1-1.1.noarch
    Problem: nemo-3.4.7-1.3.x86_64 requires cinnamon-translations, but this requirement cannot be provided
    Problem: nemo-3.4.7-1.3.x86_64 requires cinnamon-translations, but this requirement cannot be provided
    For the first problem, zypper dup offered three solutions:

Code:
    Solution 1:  deinstallation of cinnamon-settings-daemon-lang-3.4.4-1.3.noarch
    Solution 2:  keep obsolete cinnamon-settings-daemon-lang-3.4.4-1.3.noarch
    Solution 3:  break cinnamon-settings-daemon-lang-3.6.1-1.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies
    ... and that was as far as I got.

In similar situations in the past, I have accepted zypper dup's first suggested option, crossed fingers and hoped for the best. This time, I hesitate. I don't think that many others here use the Cinnamon desktop, and worry that an essential component has been omitted.

Suggestions, anyone?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Zypper dup indicates problems with Cinnamon

Probably a good starting point is to describe how you installed Cinnamon.

IIRC,
    When I tinkered with Cinnamon on a 42.3, there were packages in the online (not DVD) OSS but no Pattern which is one way that only <mostly> worked. I seem to remember generally but without detail that some things were working, others not completely.

It might also be possible to install Cinnamon from source.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I wrote up the installation steps in a mini-FAQ (and thanked you and Miuku for the help provided this summer!):

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...op-and-lightDM

The installation has been pretty stable for the last several months (and I'd like to keep it stable, which is why I thought I should post my question before proceeding with the dup.)

Just wait. Cinnamon packages are being updated to new version; development repository already has cinnamon-settings-daemon 3.6.1, it just did not yet make its way into Factroy/Tumbleweed.

Yeah, zypper asked endless questions about what to do with Cinnamon today. Usually I check back in a week, and it's mostly sorted out. (I use Cinnamon for the VNC session, as it seems like I can't get KDE on the desktop and KDE in the VNC session, for the same user.)

I didn't do anything special for installation, I just selected the Cinnamon packages with the gui tool. Install from source? C'mon I'm not running arch or gentoo or whatever.

Ah ha! Thank you, arvidjaar (and to you as well, xorbe). I may be far less knowledgeable than other Tumbleweed users, but even I know how to wait awhile!

The solver is broken, and not usable:

Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
    deinstallation of nemo-3.4.7-1.2.x86_64
    deinstallation of cinnamon-metatheme-numix-2.6-1.4.noarch
    Solution 2: keep obsolete cinnamon-translations-3.4.3-1.2.noarch
    Solution 3: break nemo-3.4.7-1.3.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies
    Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/3/s/r/c] (c): 1

Okay. Next question.

Problem: nemo-3.4.7-1.2.x86_64 requires cinnamon-translations, but this requirement cannot be provided
    Solution 1: ...

Look, I already opted to deinstall that nemo package. Why is it still considering its dependencies? I think the problem is that cinnamon-translations is missing from the repo?

I did a successful dup by just keeping "obsolete" packages for now, until cinnamon-translations is resolved.

The new cinnamon-settings-daemon must be in; I just zypper dup'd without a problem message.