Gnome missing lock button and screen won't lock

Gnome used to have a lock button and it would automatically lock requiring a password when I installed Tumbleweed in my system… Now all of the sudden the lock button is no longer in the menu and the system won’t lock. I have no idea how to fix this issue. Your assistance with this issue is greatly appreciated.

Hi
So your updating your system with zypper dup?

If you create a test user and login as that user, does the lock button appear in the menu? FWIW, I still see it here and works as expected.

Hello Malcom,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have been updating my system with “zypper dup.” I created a test user and this new account does not have the lock button either. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thank for your help.

Very respectfully,

Joseph

On Fri 10 Nov 2017 01:26:01 AM CST, jsberrios wrote:

Hello Malcom,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have been updating my system with
“zypper dup.” I created a test user and this new account does not have
the lock button either. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thank for your help.

Very respectfully,

Joseph

Hi
Not a gnome shell extension…?

See this thread;
http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=525142

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Malcom,

I tried creating a new user account. This new user account did not have a lock button. I tried login in as root and the lock button was still missing. I went ahead and disabled all the gnome shell extesions in my account and after a reboot, the lock button is still missing. It should be noted that “Super”+L does not lock my computer either.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

Joseph

Hi
Are you using gdm as your login manager?

See 3.4 in https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/Leap/42.3/index.html#general

Hello,

I am using gdm as my login manager. I also tried to switch user without login out, the option is in the gnome menu, however it is not working either.

Malcom,

I think I found the problem. My system is configured for gdm as it is set in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanger in which the key DISPLAYMANAGER is set to “gdm.” However, after running the following command: ps -ef | grep ‘/’, I get the following output:

jsberrios@avenger:~/Documents> ps -ef | grep ‘/
root 1596 1481 2 02:56 tty7 00:01:49 /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /run/sddm/{e5743e6f-fe07-4311-9ddf-49745b2d8d49} -background none -noreset -displayfd 18 vt7
jsberri+ 2070 2013 0 02:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent --sh --daemon --keep-display /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
jsberri+ 2071 2013 0 02:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/gpg-agent --sh --daemon --keep-display /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

It seems that my system is running sddm. I am puzzled and have no idea how to solve this problem.

I had the same problem, sddm installs itself as alternative of gdm, so even if you have gdm as display manager set, it still starts sddm. Just uninstall it.

That solved my problem. The only problem is in that every update, I have to uninstall sddm. A minor inconvenience, but at least it is working.

Thank you so much for your help. :slight_smile:

Hi
Just use zypper and al (add lock) to sddm, but you should be able to set via;

update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager

and select you login manager.