Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kmail - start akonadi

Default Re: Kmail - start akonadi

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Mark, could you show us the exact data, i.e. an `ls -l` of these symlinks ? I also have only one of the symlinks as well.
    Code:
    farcus@linux-aw6a:~/.local/share/akonadi> ls -l
    total 16
    -rw-r--r--   1 farcus users  102 Dec 13 11:30 akonadi_control.error.old
    -rw-r--r--   1 farcus users    0 Dec 10 11:42 akonadictl.error.old
    -rw-r--r--   1 farcus users  163 Dec 13 11:30 akonadiserver.error.old
    drwxr-xr-x   6 farcus users  237 Dec 13 11:30 db_data
    drwxr-xr-x   2 farcus users    6 Nov 20 15:04 db_misc
    drwxr-xr-x 102 farcus users 4096 Nov 30 11:58 file_db_data
    -rw-r--r--   1 farcus users 3423 Nov 20 15:04 mysql.conf
    drwxr-xr-x   8 farcus users  105 Nov 20 15:04 search_db
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 farcus users   26 Nov 20 15:04 socket-linux-aw6a -> /tmp/akonadi-farcus.fyctip
    or from within the symlink
    Code:
    farcus@linux-aw6a:~/.local/share/akonadi/socket-linux-aw6a> ls -l
    total 4
    srwxr-xr-x 1 farcus users 0 Dec 13 11:30 akonadiserver-cmd.socket
    srwxr-xr-x 1 farcus users 0 Dec 13 11:30 akonadiserver-ntf.socket
    -rw-rw---- 1 farcus users 5 Dec 13 11:30 mysql.pid
    srwxrwxrwx 1 farcus users 0 Dec 13 11:30 mysql.socket
    And, please add the output of
    Code:
    grep -i tmp ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
    Code:
    farcus@linux-aw6a:~> grep -i tmp ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
    Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/tmp/akonadi-farcus.fyctip/mysql.socket"
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 / Plasma 5.12

Smile Re: Kmail - start akonadi

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    my ~/.local/share/akonadi/ contains a link to /.local/share/akonadi/socket-linux-aw6a/ which contains
    akonadiserver-cmd.socket
    akonadiserver-ntf.socket
    mysql.socket
    mysql.pid

I couldn't tell you why I have them and you don't. My install is a fairly bog standard 42.3 install.
    The link located in '~/.local/share/akonadi/' named "socket-<HOSTNAME>" which points to a directory located in "/tmp" named:
    "akonadi-<USERNAME>.<RANDOM NUMBER>"
    is perfectly normal and correct.
    The contents of the user specific directory located in "/tmp/" is also perfectly correct:

Exclamation Re: Kmail - start akonadi

Code:
    farcus@linux-aw6a:~> grep -i tmp ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
    Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/tmp/akonadi-farcus.fyctip/mysql.socket"
    Seems to be OK and, from your previous posts, the directory entry for the MySQL socket located in '/tmp/akonadi-<USERNAME>.<RANDOM NUMBER>/' also seems to be OK.

Which only leaves the following issue:
    Code:
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name" "/home/farcus/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver-cmd.socket"
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name" "/home/farcus/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver-cmd.socket"
    For what ever reason, the KMail code is attempting to find the Akonadi Server sockets in your '~/.local/share/akonadi/' directory.
    Looking at my "akonadiconnectionrc" file located in '~/.config/akonadi/', I notice the following entries (the bold, underlined and red text means exactly what it says!!!):
    Code:
    [DBUS]
    Address="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-<RANDOM NUMBER>,guid=<RANDOM NUMBER>"

[Data]
    Method=UnixPath
    UnixPath=/tmp/akonadi-<USER>.<RANDOM NUMBER>/akonadiserver-cmd.socket

[Notifications]
    Method=UnixPath
    UnixPath=/tmp/akonadi-<USER>.<RANDOM NUMBER>/akonadiserver-ntf.socket
    Please check the entries in your "akonadiconnectionrc" file.

Ah!! Now we now what "ntf" means in Akonadi Server terms: "Notifications" . . .
    "Code is fact; documentation is fiction!"

Exclamation Re: Kmail - start akonadi

By the way, on this system the UNIX® abstract for D-BUS mentioned in the "akonadiconnectionrc" file is not visible with a simple "ls"; you'll have to inspect the D-BUS to find the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    By the way, on this system the UNIX® abstract for D-BUS mentioned in the "akonadiconnectionrc" file is not visible with a simple "ls"; you'll have to inspect the D-BUS to find the thing.
    I can't seem to find akonadiconnectionrc. You might need to give me a walk-through on how to find it.
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 / Plasma 5.12

Smile Re: Kmail - start akonadi

I can't seem to find akonadiconnectionrc. You might need to give me a walk-through on how to find it.
    It should be in '~/.config/akonadi/'. If it ain't there, log out and log back in again and restart something which uses Akonadi -- assuming that, the Plasma "Date/Time" widget has started Akonadi when you logged back in. If it still ain't there, check with a "fresh" test user and, if need be copy the "akonadiconnectionrc" which should be present for the test user over to your "normal" user.

By the way, default D-Bus usage implies that "abstract sockets" are used -- in other words, the most of the applications which use D-Bus have sockets which only exist in memory and, do not have a "physical" file located, for example, in the "/tmp/" directory. The syntax in "akonadiconnectionrc" is a programming formality.

If you take a look in your '~/.dbus/' directory, you should notice something like this:
    Code:
     > l .dbus/
    insgesamt 12
    drwx------  3 XXX users   25 19. Aug 2015  ./
    drwxr-xr-t 58 XXX users 8192 18. Dez 08:55 ../
    drwx------  2 XXX users   48 19. Jul 08:03 session-bus/
     > l .dbus/session-bus/
    insgesamt 4
    drwx------ 2 XXX users  48 19. Jul 08:03 ./
    drwx------ 3 XXX users  25 19. Aug 2015  ../
    -rw-r--r-- 1 XXX users 463 18. Dez 08:55 4ed603cd18304c8d9216b69334cdeb3a-0
     > file .dbus/session-bus/4ed603cd18304c8d9216b69334cdeb3a-0
    .dbus/session-bus/4ed603cd18304c8d9216b69334cdeb3a-0: ASCII text
     > cat .dbus/session-bus/4ed603cd18304c8d9216b69334cdeb3a-0
    # This file allows processes on the machine with id 4ed603cd18304c8d9216b69334cdeb3a using
    # display :0 to find the D-Bus session bus with the below address.
    # If the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable is set, it will
    # be used rather than this file.
    # See "man dbus-launch" for more details.
    DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-LVqtuyMM9r,guid=d767f19e4096095b184324e95a377489
    DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=5537
    DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=6291457
     >
    N.B.: The file name "4ed603cd18304c8d9216b69334cdeb3a-0" is a machine generated random number string, as is the Group UID 'guid' value.
    Therefore, the string and the UID value are machine dependent.
    The D-Bus activity can be monitored by means of "dbus-monitor".
    Further information related to abstract sockets can be found in the man (7) page "unix".

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Yes, KDE KMail2 and Akonadi are not easy but, they usually (99.999 % of the time) "work out of the box" with a "new, fresh" user directory -- meaning, before the very first login of the concerned user, the directory contains only what's in '/etc/skel/' and, only that:
    Code:
     # l -R /etc/skel/
    /etc/skel/:
    insgesamt 64
    drwxr-xr-x   7 root root  4096 22. Nov 16:57 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 137 root root 12288 29. Nov 11:39 ../
    -rw-------   1 root root     0 18. Mai 1996  .bash_history
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root  1177  7. Jul 17:10 .bashrc
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 10. Mai 2017  bin/
    drwx------   2 root root  4096 10. Mai 2017  .config/
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root  1637 11. Sep 2014  .emacs
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 10. Mai 2017  .fonts/
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root   305 10. Mai 2017  .i18n
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root   861 11. Sep 2014  .inputrc
    drwx------   2 root root  4096 10. Mai 2017  .local/
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root  1028  7. Jul 17:10 .profile
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 22. Nov 16:53 public_html/
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root  1952 10. Mai 2017  .xim.template
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1112 10. Mai 2017  .xinitrc.template*

/etc/skel/bin:
    insgesamt 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 10. Mai 2017  ./
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 22. Nov 16:57 ../

/etc/skel/.config:
    insgesamt 8
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 10. Mai 2017  ./

/etc/skel/.fonts:
    insgesamt 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 10. Mai 2017  ./

/etc/skel/.local:
    insgesamt 8
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 10. Mai 2017  ./

/etc/skel/public_html:                                                                                                  
    insgesamt 12                                                                                                            
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 22. Nov 16:53 ./                                                                            
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   48 14. Nov 2014  .directory                                                                    
     #

So, how to repair a user's broken Kmail2 and Akonadi system (which is why I've been absent for the past few days . . . » I broke my personal Leap 42.3 KMail and, I'm still recovering archived e-Mail folders with thousands of e-Mails in them. « ):
    1. Setup a completely fresh new user, initialise KWallet » meaning, KWallet has to be setup properly with a wallet named "kdewallet" «.
    2. Execute a KMail2 "1st start" (IMHO it's better to not do this by executing "Kontact") and set up a single e-Mail account -- IMAP or POP3.
    3. Compare the contents of the new user's ~/.config/ directory with the exisiting user's ~/.config/ directory.

A few things to be closely examined, inspected and checked within the problem user's ~/.config/ directory are:
    • 'akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc' and all the other "'akonadi_maildir_resource_*rc" files;
    • execute "grep -Ri 'maildir' *" to determine which files contain "maildir" symbols -- check each file which 'grep' finds, especially:
      • akonadi/agentsrc
      • kmail2rc
      • specialmailcollectionsrc

For those folks, like me, who have migrated from KDE2 to KDE3 to KDE4 to KDE Plasma 5 (in it's latest incarnation), what also needs to be done is, to check carefully for old, "not changed or touched in ages", configuration files:
    • it's usually safe to delete such configuraiton files.

Another thing to do, is to check the contents of active KMail and Akonadi configuration files against the contents of the same files being used by the "new, fresh" user -- you need to execute "akonadictl stop" before editing the historical "no longer needed" entries in the configuration files.
    Once all that's been done, start Kontact (or KMail2) and then exit it -- Akonadi is now executing again:
    • akonadictl status
    • akonadictl fsck
    • akoandictl vacuum

Restart Kontact (or KMail2) and, check that, everything is as it should be.
    I am using Kmail with several different Linux users. Some work very well. Others always have problems. To recover one of these I finally succeeded with the following:

1. backup of home directory
    2. delete all of
      Code:
      find . -name 'akonadi*' -exec rm -r {} \; 
      find .config/ -name '*mail*' -exec rm -r {} \
      There are lots of stale akonadi data
    3. invoke kmail and start with a pristine install
      Code:
      karl@erlangen:~> ll -drt $(find . -name akonadi*)                                                                                                                                                                           
      drwxr-xr-x 3 karl users  4096 19. Dez 10:28 ./.local/share/akonadi_migration_agent                                                                                                                                           
      drwxr-xr-x 2 karl users  4096 19. Dez 10:28 ./.cache/akonadi_ical_resource_0                                                                                                                                                 
      -rw------- 1 karl users    70 19. Dez 10:28 ./.config/akonadi_akonotes_resource_0rc                                                                                                                                          
      -rw------- 1 karl users   195 19. Dez 10:28 ./.config/akonadi-firstrunrc                                                                                                                                                     
      -rw------- 1 karl users    62 19. Dez 11:22 ./.config/akonadi_ical_resource_0rc                                                                                                                                              
      -rw------- 1 karl users    52 19. Dez 11:22 ./.config/akonadi-migrationrc                                                                                                                                                    
      -rw------- 1 karl users    58 19. Dez 11:54 ./.config/akonadi_indexing_agentrc                                                                                                                                               
      -rw------- 1 karl users   164 19. Dez 11:54 ./.config/akonadiconsolerc                                                                                                                                                       
      -rw------- 1 karl users   103 19. Dez 18:27 ./.config/akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc                                                                                                                                           
      -rw------- 1 karl users    32 19. Dez 18:27 ./.config/akonadi_contactrc                                                                                                                                                      
      -rw------- 1 karl users 12589 19. Dez 23:38 ./.config/akonadi_mailfilter_agentrc                                                                                                                                             
      -rw-r--r-- 1 karl users     0 20. Dez 05:45 ./.local/share/akonadi/akonadictl.error.old                                                                                                                                      
      drwx------ 2 karl users  4096 20. Dez 05:45 ./.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi                                                                                                                                           
      -rw-r--r-- 1 karl users   102 20. Dez 06:13 ./.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old                                                                                                                                 
      drwxr-xr-x 6 karl users  4096 20. Dez 06:13 ./.local/share/akonadi                                                                                                                                                           
      -rw------- 1 karl users   180 20. Dez 06:13 ./.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc                                                                                                                                                
      -rw-r--r-- 1 karl users   102 20. Dez 06:13 ./.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old                                                                                                                                   
      -rw-r--r-- 1 karl users   221 20. Dez 06:13 ./.config/akonadi/akonadiconnectionrc                                                                                                                                            
      drwxr-xr-x 2 karl users  4096 20. Dez 06:13 ./.config/akonadi                                                                                                                                                                
      karl@erlangen:~>
    4. if desirable restore configuration files
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123