Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A whole new area

Default A whole new area

I have a pretty good desktop computer that is just sitting around getting obsolete. I would like to set it up as a server for my home network. Not a web server, but file server and print server primarily. Best bet would be for it be run without a monitor or keyboard. So, I'm looking for suggestions where I can obtain documentation, a lot less terse than man pages, that I can use to learn what I need to reach my goal. Kinda like "Linux Servers for Dummys" (does that exist? I'll have to google that!).

Bart

Blog Entries

Default Re: A whole new area

Hi
    Specs and disks? TBH I just got a cheap NAS and whacked some 1 TB drives in it and use as a samba share...less power, small fan...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

It's a Dell Inspiron with a Intel I5 @ 3.5 G, 12 G of 2400 ram and a single 1 T drive. I may want to change out the drive, but the rest of it should be more than I need for a server. I really don't "need" to set this up, I have a Buffalo server that works, but I'd like to set it up headless and learn to maintain it using my desktop.

Bart

Blog Entries

If your new Server is serving files to windows computers and Linux computers, I imagine a Samba server. But if only serving to Linux computers it's a different matter. So here's a question: what operating systems would the Clients be using in your Lan?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

On Thu 02 Nov 2017 12:36:01 PM CDT, swerdna wrote:

If your new Server is serving files to windows computers and Linux
    computers, I imagine a Samba server. But if only serving to Linux
    computers it's a different matter. So here's a question: what operating
    systems would the Clients be using in your Lan?

Hi
    Or create a local 'cloud' owncloud or nextcloud(?) etc.... But yes if
    no windows machines just use ssh/sftp, well there is winscp?

--
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.90-18.32-default

All connecting machines will use openSUSE as an operating system. What I don't know, and am looking for documentation for is:
    What software should be installed.
    How to set it up so that the computers in the network will have access to the files on the server.
    What to use so that the user will be recognized on the network an not have to "log in" other than on the box he is using.
    If I set up the server without monitor or keyboard, can I use the graphical desktop on the remote computer, or is it all command line?
    Can the server be a print server? Would that take the load off each remote computer?
    Um.. so many things.

It wouldn't be right to ask each question here on the forum, I'm asking for advice on where to find all this information, a book, a web page, where ever.

Bart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by montana_suse_user View Post
    All connecting machines will use openSUSE as an operating system. What I don't know, and am looking for documentation for is:
    What software should be installed.
    How to set it up so that the computers in the network will have access to the files on the server.
    What to use so that the user will be recognized on the network an not have to "log in" other than on the box he is using.
    If I set up the server without monitor or keyboard, can I use the graphical desktop on the remote computer, or is it all command line?
    Can the server be a print server? Would that take the load off each remote computer?
    Um.. so many things.

It wouldn't be right to ask each question here on the forum, I'm asking for advice on where to find all this information, a book, a web page, where ever.

Bart
    Hi
    I would suggest think about how much storage you need (perhaps look at LVM) and also more important your backup strategy for your data. You say a 1TB drive, then you need something to back that up to...

Since it's got some cpu power and ram, look at say one or two virtual machines doing different things, then you can snapshot that as a backup, if push comes to shove move the VM onto new hardware, temporary hardware... so many technologies....

Did I mention backup strategy, backup media and testing?
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Quote Originally Posted by montana_suse_user View Post
    It wouldn't be right to ask each question here on the forum
    Actually, I disagree with that assumption, Bart. Personally, I think it would be a great thing to be asking here. The resulting thread(s) would be a step-by-step educational experience for other openSUSE users interested in similar objectives.

So, ask away.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Don't re-invent the wheel; use something designed for this task - such as FreeNAS ( http://www.freenas.org/ )
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

Blog Entries

If you want central authentication and there's only linux machines, have a look at NIS.
    If you want the server accessible for users have a look at NFS
    There are tons of good howto's out there on how to set these up. In the past I've used those two to export /home from the server and mount it on all PC's. But, as time went by, PC's were replaced by laptops that were also taken away from home ....

You could also think of Nextcloud server, and install the nextcloud client package on the other machines.

If you are actually going to use the server in a production style, get an extra disk for automated backups

And, there the option to add the server as a mounted remote "drive" through Dolphin / Nautilus etc.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast