Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

  1. #1

    Default Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    I installed flash-player through the Packman repository but flash does not load in Firefox. Anything using flash just displays a blank screen and when I right-click it gives me the regular options for right-clicking on a page rather than the flash player settings.

    However, it does work in Chromium.

    I tried using pepper flash and the freshplayerplugin but the same problem occurs. I also installed Multimedia Codecs and websites like Twitch and Hulu are working fine.

    I would like to fix this because I try to minimize my use of Google applications as much as possible in my day-to-day use.

    Here is a screenshot of my aboutlugins page:


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    according to that screenshot you've got flash installed and enabled and it is the current version available from packman
    if you have freshplayer I'd say remove it as it blocks the regular npapi flash from working
    if you have an issue with a particular site tell us what site is it, I have Firefox 56 and flash 27 and they work fine I don't have Chromium or pepper flash so I can't comment about that
    the thing is some sites can disable right clicking with a javascript which might or might not work with chrome there was a Firefox setting to disable this but it was removed
    you can get those options with this addon
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...settingsanity/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sauerland
    Posts
    6,721

    Default AW: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    maybe you have a flash blocking addon like flashblock?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/
    or maybe you've set the flash player to ask to activate instead of always activate
    in about:addons in the plugins tab in the flash player options select always activate if not there should be a button on the left of the url bar where you can select weather to activate or not the flash plugin

  5. #5

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    according to that screenshot you've got flash installed and enabled and it is the current version available from packman
    if you have freshplayer I'd say remove it as it blocks the regular npapi flash from working
    if you have an issue with a particular site tell us what site is it, I have Firefox 56 and flash 27 and they work fine I don't have Chromium or pepper flash so I can't comment about that
    the thing is some sites can disable right clicking with a javascript which might or might not work with chrome there was a Firefox setting to disable this but it was removed
    you can get those options with this addon
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...settingsanity/
    I can confirm freshplayerplugin is fully removed and Firefox doesn't detect it.

    It seems like any site that uses Adobe Flash Player is affected. I use a virtual online classroom, which uses Flash and it doesn't load for example.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    maybe you have a flash blocking addon like flashblock?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/
    or maybe you've set the flash player to ask to activate instead of always activate
    in about:addons in the plugins tab in the flash player options select always activate if not there should be a button on the left of the url bar where you can select weather to activate or not the flash plugin
    The only addons I have installed are uBlock Origin, Pushbullet, Reddit Enhancement Suite, and HTTPS Everywhere. I tried deactivating uBlock for the page with Flash but that didn't seem to do anything. And the Flash plugin has been set to "Always Activate" this entire time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    I should mention that I have gone as far as reinstalling openSUSE Tumbleweed and doing the same procedure as stated on this Wiki page with no success. Every other distro I've tried such as KDE neon, Debian and Manjaro have worked with Adobe Flash, and I don't plan on switching to those distros so I really want to get this to work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    to be honest I haven't seen a site that uses flash in a long time, most of the sites I frequent have switched to html5
    to the point at hand adobe has released a flash update adobe's version is 27.0.0.183 while packman is still at 27.0.0.170 which is the version you have you can get the current build from adobe
    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    packman should get the update soonish
    http://packman.links2linux.org/package/flash-player
    if you decide to get flash from adobe you'll need to manually remove (zypper should give you that option) flash-player as adobe's name for the package is flash-plugin so you can't do an "upgrade"
    one more thing is that mozilla blocked plugins from accessing local files so you can no longer open local flash files in Firefox the file:/// URI is no longer supported for flash files if your issue is with a downloaded swf you'll need to run a local server and open it via http(s) (ftp doesn't work either)
    https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/17/fi...http-or-https/

  9. #9

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    to be honest I haven't seen a site that uses flash in a long time, most of the sites I frequent have switched to html5
    to the point at hand adobe has released a flash update adobe's version is 27.0.0.183 while packman is still at 27.0.0.170 which is the version you have you can get the current build from adobe
    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    packman should get the update soonish
    http://packman.links2linux.org/package/flash-player
    if you decide to get flash from adobe you'll need to manually remove (zypper should give you that option) flash-player as adobe's name for the package is flash-plugin so you can't do an "upgrade"
    one more thing is that mozilla blocked plugins from accessing local files so you can no longer open local flash files in Firefox the file:/// URI is no longer supported for flash files if your issue is with a downloaded swf you'll need to run a local server and open it via http(s) (ftp doesn't work either)
    https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/17/fi...http-or-https/
    Unfortunately, I have already tried the Adobe repository and the same issue occurs.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Packman flash-player not working in Firefox

    one more thing to try is mozilla's build of Firefox
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/...56.0.2.tar.bz2
    just unpack it in your home and run it
    if that build has no issues open a bug report
    one more time I have no issues I've tried it on one site that uses flash banners for ads and they displayed if you tell us the site you're having issues with maybe we can confirm it's an opensuse issue or not just saying it doesn't work isn't enough
    what about making a screenshot of that site and show us the flash place holders (mozilla bundled a screenshot tool in Firefox and offers free image hosting)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •