Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Application Launcher

Default Re: Application Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    There is however something very strange here, in your post #26 the video card is shown as "NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660]
    Just to verify here a screen from nvidia, as you stated and nvidia claims that should work with that other driver pointed out, but obviously it did not....

https://i.imgur.com/9nTt7LP.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paceno View Post
    Looks like plasmashell is consuming a large chunk
    https://i.imgur.com/E5nuApD.jpg
    Considerably more than I would normally expect it to. And that is with the machine at or near idle I guess?

When it's in that condition, does restarting plasmashell:

"Alt-F2" then enter the following command
    Code:
    kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart plasmashell
    cause the CPU utilisation to drop?

As I mentioned previously, there are many bug reports against KDE/Plasma5 for high CPU usage when rendering. The following is a generic report covering many differing reasons...

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378010

I don't know if any there may be relevant to your situation.

How would I check that?
    You're not using any swap memory as shown by htop (0k of 2.01G)
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20171210) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5

I apologise if I'm seen to be repeating myself, but just to recap so I, and anyone following this, knows where we currently are.

1) The primary problem is one of the Application Menu not working correctly, together with misplaced widgets.

2) You believe this to be due to a recent kernel update. Your system is currently up to date with regard software updates.

3) You have excessive CPU utilisation which appears to be attributed to plasmashell.

4) You have an nvidia GTX660 with the legacy driver 304.137 (G02). Attempting to use the current 384.98 (G04) failed, although nvidia claims the GTX660 is supported by that driver.

5) A new user with default KDE settings exhibits the same problem.

6) Turning compositing off (Alt-Shift-F12) makes no difference.

7) Changing the (KDE) rendering backend between xrender, openGL 2.0, and openGL 3.1 makes no difference.

8) Reinstalling the core plasma5 software packages makes no difference.

9) You're using "standard" software, and from post #9 all repositories are compatible.

What I don't think you've yet told is, are you able to boot from a previous kernel? In post #18 you indicate that 4.4.90-28 is still installed, if you choose to boot from that, does the problem still occur?
    Regards, Paul

Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5

@tannington: sorry for delay to answer, had other issues to attent...

Considerably more than I would normally expect it to. And that is with the machine at or near idle I guess?
    Code:
    Yes, it is right after reboot, only program open is Spectacle to take the screenshot
    When it's in that condition, does restarting plasmashell:

"Alt-F2" then enter the following command
    Code:
    kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart plasmashell
    cause the CPU utilisation to drop?

Code:
    I did Ctrl-Alt-F2 one time before as instructed see #23 and it would stop and start, however, no change in CPU utilization
    However, there is a new twist now!!

Code:
    No matter if Ctrl-Alt-F2 or just in consol, if I do kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart plasmashell I get endless running this >>>
    Code:
    kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in  "/home/kickass/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"
    The desktop entry file  "/usr/share/applications/Home.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service"
    kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/Home.desktop"
    The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/evince.desktop" has an empty mimetype!
    kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Could not locate service type file kservicetypes5/plasma-popupapplet.desktop, tried ("/home/kickass/.local/share", "/usr/local/share", "/usr/share")
    kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Could not locate service type file kservicetypes5/plasma-popupapplet.desktop, tried ("/home/kickass/.local/share", "/usr/local/share", "/usr/share")
    org.kde.kcoreaddons: Expected JSON property "X-Plasma-ContainmentCategories" to be a single string. but it is a stringlist
    org.kde.kcoreaddons: Expected JSON property "X-Plasma-ContainmentCategories" to be a single string. but it is a stringlist

I apologise if I'm seen to be repeating myself, but just to recap so I, and anyone following this, knows where we currently are.

1) The primary problem is one of the Application Menu not working correctly, together with misplaced widgets.

2) You believe this to be due to a recent kernel update. Your system is currently up to date with regard software updates.

3) You have excessive CPU utilisation which appears to be attributed to plasmashell.

4) You have an nvidia GTX660 with the legacy driver 304.137 (G02). Attempting to use the current 384.98 (G04) failed, although nvidia claims the GTX660 is supported by that driver.

5) A new user with default KDE settings exhibits the same problem.

6) Turning compositing off (Alt-Shift-F12) makes no difference.

7) Changing the (KDE) rendering backend between xrender, openGL 2.0, and openGL 3.1 makes no difference.

8) Reinstalling the core plasma5 software packages makes no difference.

9) You're using "standard" software, and from post #9 all repositories are compatible.

What I don't think you've yet told is, are you able to boot from a previous kernel? In post #18 you indicate that 4.4.90-28 is still installed, if you choose to boot from that, does the problem still occur?
    Yes to all MINUS some reservations... I used the time this weekend to "poke" around, I did not change anything major, just verify the above.
    First of all you seen my post before this one here #44, that is new and I assume it is related to the attempt of changing nvidia driver.

And to 7) If I go in System settings to Hardware >>> Display and Monitor >>> Compositor the rendering backend is OpenGL 2.0. Now if I used the dropdown and no matter if I select xRender or OpenGL 3.1, click apply and it seem to take it. I go back to all settings and return from there again it's back to OpenGL 2.0

are you able to boot from a previous kernel? In post #18 you indicate that 4.4.90-28 is still installed
    They are ALL gone, should be 3 there but none anymore. I did set as in #17

I'm sorry, but am now at a loss as to what else to suggest, as I wrote earlier I've no idea what is causing the problems you are experiencing.

If you've not done so, then I'd ensure you have a backup copy of any important user data, just in case there is a catastrophic failure.

If you are using Btrfs and Snapper it might be possible to "roll back" to an earlier date. As I use neither I'm not familiar with the roll back procedure. There is a brief tutorial for Snapper here: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
    Regards, Paul

Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5

I'm sorry, but am now at a loss as to what else to suggest, as I wrote earlier I've no idea what is causing the problems you are experiencing.
    Well, if you lost you can imagine where I'm standing. I'll try in KDE forum and see if there is somebody with similar problem.
    I just can not get my head around it that I'm the only one with such problems..... I would not know any fubar activity by me creating them problems.

I'll update here if I find a solution or make progress. A reformat is at moment last I want to do as machine in general works, not as sued to but I can perform what I urgent need daily to operate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345