BootMGR is missing after restart

Hi,

I just recently installed OpenSuse 42.3 and almost everything is working fine. I only have the problem that after every restart from OpenSuse I get the “BootMGR is missing” message. When I boot into the rescuemode and reset the computer the startmenu is restored and the BootMGR is working again.
Is there any way to solve/fix this problem?

Kind regards,

Sander

I already tried to find an answer on internet and on the fora, but I haven’t find a specific solution for the OpenSuse reset and BootMGR.

Can you maybe provide a little bit of useful information?

I can’t recall ever seeing a message about “BootMGR”.

Are you booting with UEFI, or with traditional legacy booting?

Where/when do you see this message? At what stage in the booting? What happens just before that (this is to help us pin down where the message comes from).

The "BootMGR is missing: message occurs when the computer cannot find a drive to boot from. Therefore normally a bootloader (here GRUB2 or the windows MBR ) is installed to facilitate that option. However, the bootloader only seems to work ones (after rebooting from the rescuemode) and thereafter it is not working anymore. It will only show the bios message like found disks and memory etc.

My computer has legacy booting.

Then my best guess would be that this is a symptom of failing hardware.

It could be a failing hard drive. Or it could be a failing SATA controller, or maybe something else.

I hadn’t thought about a failing disk. I think my other hardware is working fine as when I install the Mageia or windows bootloader there are no problems. Maybe opensuse installs the bootloader on another location than Mageia and the windows bootloader?

I will try to install Opensuse on another disk. Maybe that will help to solve the problem.