Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Always getting 'Failed unmounting Runtime Directory' (and /var) during shutdown

Default Re: Always getting 'Failed unmounting Runtime Directory' (and /var) during shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Just speculating it may have been journald writing to /var/log and blocking the unmount. But as there were no open files shown by the output of lsof I guess that was not the case.

These are the last 40 lines of the log:

https://susepaste.org/29aa84b3
    OK, nothing immediately "jumps out".

The message "Failed to unmount /var" appears during shutdown right before this message (I don't know why it is not in the log though):
    Sorry, I'm now at as much of a loss as you are I think. If one googles for "Failed to unmount /var" (or similar) it seems a quite common event, but with no definitive answer as there appear to be many differing reasons.

I am running Leap 42.3, upgraded from 42.2, upgraded from 42.1, upgraded from 13.2. IIRC it started happening after upgrading from 13.2 to Leap 42.1.
    If it's being happening for that length of time, and there is no actual data corruption due to the unclean mount, personally I'd be inclined to ignore it, although it would be nice to find and eliminate the cause.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20210330) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

heyjoe NNTP User

Default Re: Always getting 'Failed unmounting Runtime Directory' (and /var) during shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Sorry, I'm now at as much of a loss as you are I think. If one googles for "Failed to unmount /var" (or similar) it seems a quite common event, but with no definitive answer as there appear to be many differing reasons.
    Is there any way to diagnose/log it deeper?

If it's being happening for that length of time, and there is no actual data corruption due to the unclean mount, personally I'd be inclined to ignore it, although it would be nice to find and eliminate the cause.
    That's what I have been doing - ignoring it. But I really have no idea if it has corrupted anything, so I thought it would be better to fix it. This message also worries me.

Should I report that to bugzilla? If yes - in what category?

Is there any way to diagnose/log it deeper?
    Undoubtedly there is, but I'm afraid that's beyond my current knowledge.

That's what I have been doing - ignoring it. But I really have no idea if it has corrupted anything, so I thought it would be better to fix it. This message also worries me.
    I think it's unlikely you have any data corruption or you would have seen other problems long before now. (fsck is ran periodically at every nth boot.) This https://serverfault.com/questions/57...ning-with-fsck shows briefly how to run fsck manually, you could do that to see what it reports.

Should I report that to bugzilla? If yes - in what category?
    Unfortunately I doubt there is sufficient meaningful information to make a bug report viable.

"Something", as yet undiscovered, is keeping /var and or /run busy at shutdown, thus preventing the clean unmounting, and that is all we know.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20210330) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

heyjoe NNTP User

Thanks Paul. I have reported it to bugzilla. Hopefully someone can help.

I have reported it to bugzilla.
    As you refuse to provide logs it is just waste of time.

Default Re: Always getting 'Failed unmounting Runtime Directory' (and /var)during shutdown

Le 01/11/2017 à 18:36, arvidjaar a écrit :
    >
    > heyjoe;2843662 Wrote:
    >> I have reported it to bugzilla.

> As you refuse to provide logs it is just waste of time.
    >
    >

I have similar problem, the message come after kde login

what logs can I show? I see nothing in dmesg

In my case the faulty partition was some days ago the /home partition,
    but I moved it (and removed the relevant line from fstab)

thanks
    jdd

heyjoe NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    As you refuse to provide logs it is just waste of time.
    I did provide logs, several times. Or how do you suggest to put a system in debug mode and upload publicly full logs without exposing the system to a risk? Please explain if there is such a way.

Blog Entries

A general observation,
    I've noticed various shutdown errors like this going all the way back to... I can't even remember, maybe 13.1? Earlier?

At that time,
    I discovered
    - There are many ways that are commonly used to command "shut down."
    - At least before systemd, and I doubt anything after adopting systemd, Desktop shutdown commands have generally been a generic command passed to the system
    - Probably partly because of their generic nature Desktop shutdowns rarely or perhaps more accurately never even try to detect what might still be running on a system (and that's why if you're running a system with critical data integrity issues you should be very careful how you shut down a system). And, so you'll almost certainly get a "dirty" shutdown when you use a Desktop shutdown command.
    - Because shutdown commands (particularly when invoked by average Users) want <results>, a dirty shutdown is preferable to waiting forever for everything to terminate.
    - Oftentimes a "shutdown" User command will generally execute a "soft" shutdown to processes without knowing what that process does... So if's common for a "kill" to be executed after a period of time regardless what is running.
    - Of the various things that might be "killed" or otherwise a dirty shutdown, mounts are pretty safe unless you're in the middle of a file operation. If a file move or copy is interrupted, you'll almost certainly cause file corruption on one side or the other. Better file systems will implement atomicity which ensures that an interrupted file operation is rolled back, but is more common at the application level (eg relational databases) and less often at the file system level. Per another forum thread, this will vary by file system, on some the operation is streamed so is vulnerable to corruption whereas others will execute the same file operation implementing temporary files, so can be rolled back or committed only when the operation is completed. In other words, operations like cp and mv are not the same on every file system.

Also,
    It's not always the case but a lot that's written to /var is session-specific, so although you don't want anything important to be corrupted, it may not matter and may be re-created in the next session. But, this is a YMMV thing and may need to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

So,
    Bottom line, inspect what is interrupted during your shutdowns.
    Make sure you don't have an active file operation happening during shutdown.
    Ignore errors that don't matter, like dismount errors.

IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

heyjoe NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Bottom line, inspect what is interrupted during your shutdowns.
    Using the log method advised in this thread I didn't see anything particularly suspicious. What other way would you recommend for inspecting?

Make sure you don't have an active file operation happening during shutdown.
    How do I do that? What I do is simply click the shutdown button from Plasma. It happens even if I log out (or have not logged in).

Ignore errors that don't matter, like dismount errors.
    How do you evaluate if an error matters or not? If it does not matter - why does it display? Also is it safe to ignore this one?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123