Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

Default Re: gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

Hi again

A bit of further research on the

Code:
    missing ] after element list @ resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/messageTray.js:1045
    actually found me another thread on these forums from September 15th

Code:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/527149-gdm-crash-after-upgrade
    Looking at that, I tried to force a re-install of gnome-shell but that complained about libmutter

So
    Code:
    sudo zypper remove mutter
    sudo zypper in gnome-shell
    sudo zypper in gdm
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    selecting gdm as the default

A reboot, and gdm does now give me a login screen

This only really confirms that I had been previously using lightdm - which is what I thought - and that the update the other day probably broke things by swapping from using yast to manage the displaymanager to using update-alternatives, and that picked the first option on the list ie gdm, which was slightly broken by issues with mutter, which I see is referenced in my last post

Code:
    Oct 28 09:48:51 LennyZ gsd-xsettings[2122]: Failed to get current display configuration state: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist

So, we now have both a couple of workarounds,and a way to get gdm working again.

Meanwhile, I'll be reverting to LightDM as my displaymamager

;-)

Default Re: gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but it's sort of the same issue....

After a zypper dup this monrning, my laptop had been reset through no will of my own to having GDM as it's login screen. not LightDM which I had manually set it to

I could easily fix this, as per the above thread

Code:
     sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    and picking my preferred display manager

However, I'm not sure that just doing an update should over-ride a user's preferred display manager, particularly when the one it defaults to has been in a broken state recently, requiring manual intervention to make it work

(although, obviously, anyone reading this thread would have the information needed to fix those issues, as they have been documented.... ;-) )

comments?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iDominic42 View Post
    However, I'm not sure that just doing an update should over-ride a user's preferred display manager, particularly when the one it defaults to has been in a broken state recently, requiring manual intervention to make it work
    Supposedly, the update should not override this.

However, it did for me (I was switched to "sddm"). And it did for some others (see the factory mailing list discussion.

It looks as if this was a major change to how update-alternatives is organized, so we can hope that this won't be a regular occurrence.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It looks as if this was a major change to how update-alternatives is organized, so we can hope that this won't be a regular occurrence.
    Ok, thanks for the info, at least because of how GDM was broken recently , I have all the info on how to revert to my preferred DisplayManager on this thread.

I suppose this is one of the accepted risks of running a rolling release1 So I can't sayy I didn't sign up to it.

My last post was more of a "heads up, this has happened again" type thing....

Hopefully the feedback on these forums allows those prepping the rolling releases to see the issues and take note.

;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12