Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

Default gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

Hi

on boot, I get a mouse pointer, but no login screen

Immediate workaround is to get a console "Ctrl Alt F1" and login as my user
    then do

Code:
    sudo killall gdm
    startx
    Looking at journalctl, this may be the problem

Code:
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-session-binary[2085]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'LIBMUTTER_API_VERSION' on the module 'config'. That property was defined 
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'PopupMenu' on the module 'popupMenu'. That property was defined with 'let
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'ModalDialog' on the module 'modalDialog'. That property was defined with 
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'SwitcherPopup' on the module 'switcherPopup'. That property was defined w
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'SwitcherList' on the module 'switcherPopup'. That property was defined wi
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'PopupBaseMenuItem' on the module 'popupMenu'. That property was defined w
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Some code accessed the property 'Button' on the module 'panelMenu'. That property was defined with 'let' o
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: JS ERROR: SyntaxError: missing ] after element list @ resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/messageTray.js:1045
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-shell[2149]: Execution of main.js threw exception: JS_EvaluateScript() failed
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2021]: gnome-session-binary[2085]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2021]: gnome-session-binary[2085]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-session-binary[2085]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-session-binary[2085]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2021]: Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
    Oct 25 08:42:19 LennyZ gnome-session-f[2165]: Cannot open display:

Default Re: gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

I also had problems with login manager after yesterday's last update.
    I had set up with Yast> sysconfig editor> display manager> displaymanager> lightdm.

And he started with Gdm...!!!
    I have installed sddm and set by yast, and that works
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Blog Entries

Default Re: gdm or gnome login seems to be broken after zypper update last night

The last Tumbleweed update changed how DM (display manager, graphic login program) is set. It used to be set in "/etc/sysconfig". Now it is handled by "update-alternatives".

For details on how "update-alternatives" works:
    Code:
    man update-alternatives
    To change the displaymanager:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    You will be given a list of what your options are, and you can select one (or hit enter to leave it as it is).

That has to be done at the command line.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Blog Entries

I should have added some comments about how it affected me (to illustrate what to expect).

On the system that I first updated, I had been using "lightdm" for login. I rebooted after the update, and I saw the "gdm" login screen (instead of that from "lightdm"). However, when I logged in, it did still take me to KDE. I ran "update-alternatives" as described in the previous post, and I'm back at using "lightdm".

On another system, I was already using "gdm" and my logins were to KDE. I rebooted after the update. I still got the "gdm" login screen. But it took me into Gnome (which I also have installed), instead of to KDE. I logged out, then used the "gdm" menu to reselect KDE for login.

Several people have reported similar experiences (of changed display manager) at the factory mailing list.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The last Tumbleweed update changed how DM (display manager, graphic login program) is set. It used to be set in "/etc/sysconfig". Now it is handled by "update-alternatives".

For details on how "update-alternatives" works:
    Code:
    man update-alternatives
    Code:
    You will be given a list of what your options are, and you can select one (or hit enter to leave it as it is).

That has to be done at the command line.
    Is this permanently documented in an accessible location?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
    Is this permanently documented in an accessible location?
    I don't know. However, you can probably make changes to the opensuse Wiki yourself.

And note that the change is for Tumbleweed. It still works the old way in 42.3.

Code:
    Hi

Thanks for that, I've used this to set lightdm as my default display manager, and I now have a gui login screen

I have a feeling that lightdm was my default anyway, but on running that above command gdm was configured as the default

But to be honest I didn't really have time to investigate further this morning before I had to leave for work, just figure out a workaround, and create this thread in case others were having the same problem

I assume at this point gdm is still broken - possibly that "missing ]" as per the JS Error in the code of my original post.?

But I see there are now a further 209 software updates waiting for me... Perhaps one of those fixes gdm?

;-)

I should have added some comments about how it affected me (to illustrate what to expect).

On the system that I first updated, I had been using "lightdm" for login. I rebooted after the update, and I saw the "gdm" login screen (instead of that from "lightdm"). However, when I logged in, it did still take me to KDE. I ran "update-alternatives" as described in the previous post, and I'm back at using "lightdm".

On another system, I was already using "gdm" and my logins were to KDE. I rebooted after the update. I still got the "gdm" login screen. But it took me into Gnome (which I also have installed), instead of to KDE. I logged out, then used the "gdm" menu to reselect KDE for login.

Several people have reported similar experiences (of changed display manager) at the factory mailing list.
    Thank you very much
    Perfect .. I'm working lightdm again, Gdm is made with hammer and chisel
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iDominic42 View Post
    Hi
    I assume at this point gdm is still broken - possibly that "missing ]" as per the JS Error in the code of my original post.?
    "gdm" might be trying to run a wayland session. And your graphics card might not be supported for wayland.

"gdm" might be trying to run a wayland session. And your graphics card might not be supported for wayland.
    Hi
    thanks for the reply

I've just reverted to attempt gdm as my DisplayManager again, just to see if this is the case
    /var/log/Xorog.0.log tells me

Code:
    [    62.854] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
    I do have some wayland packages installed, but the only reference to wayland in journalctl are those from PackageKit or RPM as there have been some recent updates

I can confirm that gdm did not work, still had to do the

Code:
    sudo killall gdm && startx
    to get a gui working.

Looking again at journalctl, these seem to be the issue

Code:
    Oct 28 09:48:50 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2030]: gnome-session-binary[2038]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    Oct 28 09:48:50 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2030]: gnome-session-binary[2038]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    Oct 28 09:48:50 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2030]: gnome-session-binary[2038]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
    Oct 28 09:48:50 LennyZ /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2030]: Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
    and grepping - case insensitive - for ERROR in journalctl these seem to be relevant

Code:
    Oct 28 09:48:50 LennyZ gnome-shell[2057]: JS ERROR: SyntaxError: missing ] after element list @ resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/messageTray.js:1045
    Oct 28 09:48:50 LennyZ gnome-shell[2104]: JS ERROR: SyntaxError: missing ] after element list @ resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/messageTray.js:1045
    Oct 28 09:48:51 LennyZ gsd-xsettings[2122]: Failed to get current display configuration state: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast