Passthrough and virtuals screen?

I wonder - how do you set up pcie passthrough in such a way that you would get “virtual” monitor?

I’ve set up pcie passthrough on KVM / QUEMU successfully. It works great on the additional screen. But there are some productivity cases where it would be beneficial to have a virtual screen. It seems doable - as seen on this video:

//youtu.be/d3HL9x0CEtY

but how? Is it doable thorugh gui (virtual manager)?

On Tue 24 Oct 2017 01:16:01 PM CDT, Pshemas wrote:

I wonder - how do you set up pcie passthrough in such a way that you
would get “virtual” monitor?

I’ve set up pcie passthrough on KVM / QUEMU successfully. It works great
on the additional screen. But there are some productivity cases where it
would be beneficial to have a virtual screen. It seems doable - as seen
on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3HL9x0CEtY

but how? Is it doable thorugh gui (virtual manager)?

Hi
If I need one on my KVM instances, the that’s all I use virtual manager
(via ssh).

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.87-18.29-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

It shows one physical monitor via PCI pass-through and one virtual QEMU monitor.

ok, I see what the person behind linked video did.

He has 2 video cards in vm - one “passed through” hardware card (Radeon) and one virtual (QXL). Windows does not allow to display the same on both :frowning: , so only virtual card displays on SPICE window. But the guy installed OBS-Studio and uses it to preview Screen 1 (hardware card) on Screen 2 (virtual card).
Not exactly what I’m looking for - but close (and clever hack). I’ll probably set a remote desktop as a workaround.

Could you please provide the steps for this? I have been fighting it for 2 years without success.
I have only 1 external GPU (GTX680, not supporting uefi-boot) and one inside the CPU (i3770). Running Leap 42.3.

I haven’t figured out howto do it with non-uefi video card. I managed to boot one of my old quadro cards, but it failed on VM reboots.

But with uefi card (gtx 1050) it worked without any hassles. I’ve basically followed this guide:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/522015-VGA-PCI-Passthrough-guide-on-openSuSE-Leap-42-2

I’ve tweaked it a bit - but mostly to make sure Nvidia card does not see it is being booted in VM:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-quick-guide/108981

• Nvidia behaved like a…hole in this regard and if you don’t hide VM from the gpu you’ll encounter issues on regular, consumer cards (you won’t be able to install driver for example).

Thanks for the links. The first one seems to be the same I found here but it doesn’t work for me because I have only one discrete video card, so I am trying to make the combination with 1 iGPU + 1 dGPU but unfortunately I am stuck for the moment as you can see in this thread. If I can figure a way to make both GPUs work I could hopefully try to proceed with the steps in that guide.