Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen of death with leap 42.3 discraceful

Default Black Screen of death with leap 42.3 discraceful

System worked fine yesterday. this morning all attempts result in a black screen with mouse pointer that moves. Ctrl-Alt-f2 allows login to console session but the KDE-Desktop is dead. No theme (crazy little green lightbulb), no left right click, no F2, no taskbar nothing.

Really not happy that opensuse would release a broke system. KDE works in 13.2 42.1 and 42.2 did some one ASS-U-ME it was just ok in 42.3. More important how do I get the desktop back.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Default Re: Black Screen of death with leap 42.3 discraceful

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    System worked fine yesterday. this morning all attempts result in a black screen with mouse pointer that moves.
    And there were no changes (e.g.software updates) between the boot taht went flawless andf this morning.

When you say it worked fine yesterday, you hardly can say
    Code:
    that opensuse would release a broke system.
    Henk van Velden

What has changed today? Maybe an update? There have been reports of trouble with kernel 4.4.90: do you have it installed? Can you boot a previous kernel successfully?
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

What graphics driver do you use?
    I use proprietory nvidia and that happens to me when there's a change in X and the like. I just reload nvidia and all is well.
    Pete

System worked fine yesterday. this morning all attempts result in a black screen with mouse pointer that moves. Ctrl-Alt-f2 allows login to console session but the KDE-Desktop is dead.
    1. Is the "root" partition file system Btrfs?
    2. Is there enough free space? -- Check with "df -h" -- user "root" in a VT.
    3. Have the Btrfs maintenance cron jobs been running? -- user "root" in a VT -- "systemctl rescue" -- root password -- 'cd' to "/etc/cron.weekly/" and run 'btrfs-balance' and then 'btrfs-trim' -- cd to "/etc/cron.monthly/" and run 'btrfs-scrub' -- reboot.
    4. Check that "snapper" is automatically cleaning up the Btrfs snapshots: "snapper list" (need to use the user 'root').

Normally "snapper" automatically cleans up the used disk space: openSUSE documentation is here: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...a.snapper.html> -- take special note of section 3.6 "Automatic Snapshot Clean-Up".

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And there were no changes (e.g.software updates) between the boot taht went flawless andf this morning.

When you say it worked fine yesterday, you hardly can say
    Code:
    that opensuse would release a broke system.
    Two identical Acer Aspire E1-512-6660 machines, 4 core 2.6GHz , Intel HD graphics 4400 1792MB video memory, 6GB memory
    My machine upgraded 13.2 -> 42.1 -> 42.2 -> 42.3 appears to be working fine in normal mode. Used the recovery mode to check my machine before advising the person with the exact same set-up 3000 miles away and when you try to boot the recovery mode, it shows 'Fail' on almost every systemd entry leaving you with no xdisplay, and no CLI just a frozen screen. Restart in normal and my system comes back with no issues.

My friends machine, we were using testdisk to recover lost files on an attached harddrive and all seemed fine. She shut down for the night and called me frantic the next day to say all she has is a black screen. We tried various methods to get to a CLI to shutdown/reboot or Logout and finally had to use a forced shutdown. At one point she reported that she was able to logout and back in again but to a black screen once again. Since I posted for help, I have found out from this non-pc person that she got screens of 'Failed' sysemd processes covering everything from login, password, devices (/dev) and so forth as the system boots. We tried booting to the recovery mode and all the lines say 'Fail'.

From what I got from her when I posted it seemed we were dealing with KDE desktop crash but now it would appear that Leap 42.3 in both upgraded
    (my system) and fresh install (her system) are to blame. Since upgrading my system to 42.3 I have shut off auto-updates because it keeps breaking vlc stuff and reporting conflicts with kernel version. I am using the main repos only.
    We are using :
    - opensuse Leap 42.3
    - KDE Plasma 5.8.7
    - KDE Framework 5.32.0
    - QT 5.6.2
    - Kernel 4.4.87-25-default
    - OS 64 bit.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    1. Is the "root" partition file system Btrfs?
    2. Is there enough free space? -- Check with "df -h" -- user "root" in a VT.
    3. Have the Btrfs maintenance cron jobs been running? -- user "root" in a VT -- "systemctl rescue" -- root password -- 'cd' to "/etc/cron.weekly/" and run 'btrfs-balance' and then 'btrfs-trim' -- cd to "/etc/cron.monthly/" and run 'btrfs-scrub' -- reboot.
    4. Check that "snapper" is automatically cleaning up the Btrfs snapshots: "snapper list" (need to use the user 'root').

Normally "snapper" automatically cleans up the used disk space: openSUSE documentation is here: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...a.snapper.html> -- take special note of section 3.6 "Automatic Snapshot Clean-Up".
    Sorry but I don't trust Btrfs we use ext4 for all linux and NTFS for her data partition mounted/attached to $home/mydata. space should not be an issue as we have 6GB swap, 60GB free of 192GB on ext4, and 397GB free of 749GB on the NTFS.
    I Tried Btrfs on my other machine with leap 42.2 and file corruption errors at every single boot using a new known good harddisk. Since going back to ext4 on that system it clicks along perfect. I also don't have snapper installed on any of my systems since ext4 is supposed to avoid fragmentation by always using first available freespace large enough to hold the file with-out splitting it up and compact freespace as you go.

Use of CLI stuff presumes you can boot to a CLI console. It appears what is needed for console mode is failing at bootup. I can't recall the command at boot menu to invoke single-user / tty mode. I think it was press 'E' at boot option screen and type in something.

Blog Entries

On Mon 23 Oct 2017 05:36:02 PM CDT, techwiz03 wrote:

dcurtisfra;2842758 Wrote:
    >
    > > >

- Is the "root" partition file system Btrfs?
    - Is there enough free space? -- Check with "df -h" -- user "root"
    > in a VT.

- Have the Btrfs maintenance cron jobs been running? -- user "root"
    > in a VT -- "systemctl rescue" -- root password -- 'cd' to
    > "/etc/cron.weekly/" and run 'btrfs-balance' and then 'btrfs-trim' --
    > cd to "/etc/cron.monthly/" and run 'btrfs-scrub' -- reboot.

- Check that "snapper" is automatically cleaning up the Btrfs
    > snapshots: "snapper list" (need to use the user 'root').
    > > >

>

Normally "snapper" automatically cleans up the used disk
    > space: openSUSE documentation is here: <http://tinyurl.com/go6uw52> --
    > take special note of section 3.6 "Automatic Snapshot Clean-Up".
    >
    >

Sorry but I don't trust Btrfs we use ext4 for all linux and NTFS for her
    data partition mounted/attached to $home/mydata. space should not be an
    issue as we have 6GB swap, 60GB free of 192GB on ext4, and 397GB free of
    749GB on the NTFS.
    I Tried Btrfs on my other machine with leap 42.2 and file corruption
    errors at every single boot using a new known good harddisk. Since going
    back to ext4 on that system it clicks along perfect. I also don't have
    snapper installed on any of my systems since ext4 is supposed to avoid
    fragmentation by always using first available freespace large enough to
    hold the file with-out splitting it up and compact freespace as you go.

Use of CLI stuff presumes you can boot to a CLI console. It appears what
    is needed for console mode is failing at bootup. I can't recall the
    command at boot menu to invoke single-user / tty mode. I think it was
    press 'E' at boot option screen and type in something.

Hi
    It could be the backported drm kmp... is drm-kmp-default installed, if
    so remove that and see if it helps. If it does the zypper al
    drm-kmp-default it.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.87-18.29-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    It could be the backported drm kmp... is drm-kmp-default installed, if
    so remove that and see if it helps. If it does the zypper al
    drm-kmp-default it.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.87-18.29-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!
    drm-kmp-default ... yep zypper says it is installed by default and required. I Liked the power and simplicity of opensuse, the look and feel of KDE but I am left now to feel opensuse = Microsoft (untrustworthy , broken)

With 13.2 I could try and fix things that are malfunctioning but Leap is too big a leap. I can't even identify where the problems are coming from anymore. The forum tries to help me to help another 3000 miles away but I just keep missing stuff. What TF is drm-kmp-defsult and why would it be installed. Is it like that **** Microsoft played with called drm??. Btrfs seems to be a copy of the crappy restore points that never worked in Microsoft products too. If I wanted a MS copycat I buy MS.

Point is that this problem has uncovered flaws in Leap 42.3 on my system (specifically that the recovery mode doesn't work) and in general that I may face catostrophic failure in the future. My friend has a totally broken system that I can't adivise on or help her fix after spending 9 x 8 hour days recovering files she is left with no system and can't access the recovered work. I don't have a clue what to try next. BTW zypper won't remove the drm-kmp-default it says it is required.

drm??.
    Direct Rendering Manager. You had it on 13.2 too, you just didn't know. drm-kmp-default in this case backports drivers from 4.9 series of kernel that bring fixes and support for some devices but unfortunately also problems on some specific hardware setups.

Btrfs seems to be a copy of the crappy restore points that never worked in Microsoft products too.
    Restore point is essentially a snapshot (shadow volume copy, to be precise) whereas BTRFS is an entire file system with features way beyond simple snapping. Pooling, multi-device spanning, snapshotting - these are just a few of the functions that it provides that Linux was lacking in a single system. You may not need them but people who run larger systems or setups do.

BTRFS has issues and some of the SUSE defaults on openSUSE (much less so on SLE) are a bit ill designed for home use but it's getting better on every release.

zypper won't remove the drm-kmp-default it says it is required.
    You can still remove it.

Edit:
    I bet you haven't paid a dime for SUSE to this date and gotten everything, including support, for free here - am I right? If so, you might want to, you know, be a little nicer to people trying to help you.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast