Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen of death with leap 42.3 discraceful

Blog Entries

Default Re: Black Screen of death with leap 42.3 discraceful

Hi
    So what is the full output when you try and remove the drm-kmp-default?

Alas I don't use KDE/Plasma, I do use btrfs though and had to rollback a couple of times with Tumbleweed, had no issues across all my other machines in day to day running so far with btrfs.

I had issues with that drm kmp package on 42.3 with my amdgpu driver (GCN 1.1 enabled) hence I removed and locked (black screen and mouse pointer only) and all been good since.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Direct Rendering Manager. You had it on 13.2 too, you just didn't know. drm-kmp-default in this case backports drivers from 4.9 series of kernel that bring fixes and support for some devices but unfortunately also problems on some specific hardware setups.

Restore point is essentially a snapshot (shadow volume copy, to be precise) whereas BTRFS is an entire file system with features way beyond simple snapping. Pooling, multi-device spanning, snapshotting - these are just a few of the functions that it provides that Linux was lacking in a single system. You may not need them but people who run larger systems or setups do.

BTRFS has issues and some of the SUSE defaults on openSUSE (much less so on SLE) are a bit ill designed for home use but it's getting better on every release.

You can still remove it.

Edit:
    I bet you haven't paid a dime for SUSE to this date and gotten everything, including support, for free here - am I right? If so, you might want to, you know, be a little nicer to people trying to help you.
    Not looking to step on toes. I evaluate hardware, software, and OS's based upon performance and reliability. If an item has issues it fails the test and should not be released to general population. To do such is like Microsoft Claiming their new OS is a perfect finished piece of work which is false.

ext2, ext3, ext4 worked with no issues but reiserfs xfs, ufs were more bother than they were worth and Btrfs failed a simple zero-fault-tolerance test which means you can't trust Btrfs with anything important. I also don't like fat16/32/NTFS because they also don't pass zero-fault-tolerance but since
    windose requires them what choice do we have.

So have confidence with ext2/3/4 and no trust in Btrfs, All hype no substance by direct experience. Had confidence with 13.2 and as far I used Leap 42.1/2 appeared ok now can't trust it. because 42.3 seems too unstable. Recovery mode in upgrade and fresh install fail so no security to be able to fix troubles. Using opensuse Leap/42.3-oss and opensuse Leap42.3-Update as the only two repos there should not be kernel conflicts and versions conflicts at updates. 'systemd' obviously has issues or maybe '/' is corrupt but since I can't get to the pc, and my pupil/friend can't get to desktop or CLI our hands are tied.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So what is the full output when you try and remove the drm-kmp-default?

Alas I don't use KDE/Plasma, I do use btrfs though and had to rollback a couple of times with Tumbleweed, had no issues across all my other machines in day to day running so far with btrfs.

I had issues with that drm kmp package on 42.3 with my amdgpu driver (GCN 1.1 enabled) hence I removed and locked (black screen and mouse pointer only) and all been good since.
    In super user terminal:
    Code:
    pass:
    zypper rm drm-kmp-default
    access denied
    I have the Intel HD Graphics 4400 and zypper info drm-kmp-default indicates it's kernel drivers for upgrading to 4.9.x kernels but mine is the 4.4.87-25 so I am confused. To me it is as you say removeable, so why would zypper not say anything except access denied or is that coming from somewhere else???

13.2, 42.1, 42.2 are EOL 42.3 will soon be EOL and is crashed so can't even get our recovered files off the home folder to a safe back-up, or i'd just have her re-install Leap 42.3 fresh so we can find a working Linux version to replace it with. GeckoLinux might be a safer fit.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

On Mon 23 Oct 2017 11:16:02 PM CDT, techwiz03 wrote:

malcolmlewis;2842791 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > So what is the full output when you try and remove the
    > drm-kmp-default?
    >
    > Alas I don't use KDE/Plasma, I do use btrfs though and had to
    > rollback a couple of times with Tumbleweed, had no issues across all
    > my other machines in day to day running so far with btrfs.
    >
    > I had issues with that drm kmp package on 42.3 with my amdgpu driver
    > (GCN 1.1 enabled) hence I removed and locked (black screen and mouse
    > pointer only) and all been good since.

In super user terminal:

Code:
    --------------------

pass:
    zypper rm drm-kmp-default
    access denied
    --------------------

I have the Intel HD Graphics 4400 and zypper info drm-kmp-default
    indicates it's kernel drivers for upgrading to 4.9.x kernels but mine is
    the 4.4.87-25 so I am confused. To me it is as you say removeable, so
    why would zypper not say anything except access denied or is that coming
    from somewhere else???

13.2, 42.1, 42.2 are EOL 42.3 will soon be EOL and is crashed so can't
    even get our recovered files off the home folder to a safe back-up, or
    i'd just have her re-install Leap 42.3 fresh so we can find a working
    Linux version to replace it with. GeckoLinux might be a safer fit.

Hi
    How are you changing to root user, if you can't zypper rm as root user
    sounds like your filesystem is read only?

The drm-kmp are 4.9 backports use zypper if to see about it.
    Code:
    Backported drm kernel modules for upgrading to the 4.9.x kernel
    implementations. This is mainly for supporting Intel Kabylake graphics,
    but also for bringing up / fixing the other graphics devices.
    --
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.87-18.29-default

Hi
    How are you changing to root user, if you can't zypper rm as root user
    sounds like your filesystem is read only?

The drm-kmp are 4.9 backports use zypper if to see about it.
    Code:
    Backported drm kernel modules for upgrading to the 4.9.x kernel
    implementations. This is mainly for supporting Intel Kabylake graphics,
    but also for bringing up / fixing the other graphics devices.
    --
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.87-18.29-default
    Terminal - Super user mode, enter password, and run what you want. I have zypper'd up|dup|install|rm many times but ever so often zypper complains with access denied.

I am hoping my friend didn't wipe the GeckoLinux-liveKDEplasma flashdrive. Maybe we can copy the acer home folder to another flashdrive and open up the possibilities to wipe /dev/sda2 clean and install a linux which isn't so problematic.
    Leap 42.3 ... can it really be trusted??
    Tumbleweed .... bleeding edge means not for noobs
    GeckoLinux ... Based on 42.1 with very long use cycle .... I haven't tested it to know if it is stable and will do as needed.
    Ubuntu. Kubuntu, RedHat, Mandriva were not an enjoyable experience for me so they are not going to work at all for a noob.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Terminal - Super user mode, enter password, and run what you want. I have zypper'd up|dup|install|rm many times but ever so often zypper complains with access denied.

I am hoping my friend didn't wipe the GeckoLinux-liveKDEplasma flashdrive. Maybe we can copy the acer home folder to another flashdrive and open up the possibilities to wipe /dev/sda2 clean and install a linux which isn't so problematic.
    Leap 42.3 ... can it really be trusted??
    Tumbleweed .... bleeding edge means not for noobs
    GeckoLinux ... Based on 42.1 with very long use cycle .... I haven't tested it to know if it is stable and will do as needed.
    Ubuntu. Kubuntu, RedHat, Mandriva were not an enjoyable experience for me so they are not going to work at all for a noob.
    Hi
    How su or su -? Please show the output from the command;
    Code:
    mount
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Hi
    How su or su -? Please show the output from the command;
    Code:
    mount
    Code:
    rick@linux:~> mount
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) 
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=2986096k,nr_inodes=746524,mode=755)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev) 
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000) 
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755) 
    tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-
    cgroups-agent,name=systemd) 
    pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) 
    efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids) 
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory) 
    /dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered) 
    systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=23,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct) 
    mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime) 
    hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime) 
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime) 
    /dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=437,iocharset=
    iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro) 
    /dev/sda4 on /home/rick/e_mydata type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,gid=100,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,
    codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro) 
    tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=598740k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=100) 
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime) 
    gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100) 
    rick@linux:~>
    All I can see out of the mount command is that sda1,and sda4 are remounted read-only if errors detected

Use of CLI stuff presumes you can boot to a CLI console. It appears what is needed for console mode is failing at bootup. I can't recall the command at boot menu to invoke single-user / tty mode. I think it was press 'E' at boot option screen and type in something.
    Hi, stepping in as Malcolm is likely sleeping now.
    To boot to single user mode (once known as "runlevel 3") press E at the boot menu, look for a line beginning with "linux" or "linuxefi", append "3" (without quotes) to that line and F10 to boot. You should land to a console login, login as normal user, then "su -" if root privileges are needed.
    If the trouble is with drm / graphics / X11 as is likely you should be able to bypass that problem and issue system commands like zypper and the like.
    I see nothing strange in your "mount" results. Please don't clutter the thread with extra considerations for now, let's rescue the broken system first, then you might consider how to move on.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Exclamation Re: Black Screen of death with leap 42.3 discraceful

we use ext4 for all linux and NTFS for her data partition mounted/attached to $home/mydata. space should not be an issue as we have 6GB swap, 60GB free of 192GB on ext4, and 397GB free of 749GB on the NTFS.
    • Are they dual-boot systems?
    • Does this issue usually happen when a file in the NTFS partition is opened and/or accessed by a KDE application?
    • Does the KDE indexing service attempt to index the NTFS partition? -- (You should forbid the indexing of all partitions which are not local and Linux-pure.)

I also don't have snapper installed on any of my systems
    "Snapper" is Btrfs-only.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    • Are they dual-boot systems?
    • Does this issue usually happen when a file in the NTFS partition is opened and/or accessed by a KDE application?
    • Does the KDE indexing service attempt to index the NTFS partition? -- (You should forbid the indexing of all partitions which are not local and Linux-pure.)

"Snapper" is Btrfs-only.
    Not dual boot we run windows from virtualbox with the NTFS as shared drive.
    Day before the problem we used testdisk (a linux app) to recover a huge folder on the NTFS and save it to the home folder with intent to move this saved folder to a flashdrive the following day.
    I have KDE indexing on only for the ext4 partition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast