Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

  1. #1

    Default zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    This notice from zypper came up several days ago and I was hoping it was just a repository error, but it hasn't gone away. It's actually preventing me from performing the distribution upgrade.

    Code:
    linux-q5o0:~ # zypper dup -l --no-allow-vendor-change
    Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Computing distribution upgrade...
    
    Problem: problem with installed package libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-4.14.x86_64
     Solution 1: install libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-1.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
      http://packman.links2linux.de  -->  openSUSE
    
    Choose the above solution using '1' or cancel using 'c' [1/c] (c): c
    linux-q5o0:~ #
    Do I need to remove that package and then reinstall again from Packman? As I understand it, I don't want to change vendors Packman --> openSUSE, correct?
    Tumbleweed on a Dell Inspiron 15 - 5578

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,297
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverclipper View Post
    This notice from zypper came up several days ago and I was hoping it was just a repository error, but it hasn't gone away. It's actually preventing me from performing the distribution upgrade.

    Code:
    linux-q5o0:~ # zypper dup -l --no-allow-vendor-change
    Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Computing distribution upgrade...
    
    Problem: problem with installed package libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-4.14.x86_64
     Solution 1: install libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-1.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
      http://packman.links2linux.de  -->  openSUSE
    
    Choose the above solution using '1' or cancel using 'c' [1/c] (c): c
    linux-q5o0:~ #
    Do I need to remove that package and then reinstall again from Packman? As I understand it, I don't want to change vendors Packman --> openSUSE, correct?
    Hi
    By the look in this case you do want it to move back and use the openSUSE one. Both the same packages, no need for it to be on Packman as nothing untoward in it, if it is needed it should be a link to OBS as this is where it's maintained.

    Edit: Delete request pushed - https://pmbs.links2linux.de/request/show/4018
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 21-Oct-2017 at 15:54.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    By the look in this case you do want it to move back and use the openSUSE one. Both the same packages, no need for it to be on Packman as nothing untoward in it, if it is needed it should be a link to OBS as this is where it's maintained.

    Edit: Delete request pushed - https://pmbs.links2linux.de/request/show/4018
    Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and switched to the one from openSUSE. I was very, very behind in getting package updates because once I told it to switch, zypper then reported it was going to update 987 packages! Holy moly.
    Tumbleweed on a Dell Inspiron 15 - 5578

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverclipper View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and switched to the one from openSUSE. I was very, very behind in getting package updates because once I told it to switch, zypper then reported it was going to update 987 packages! Holy moly.
    I assume it was your decision to use Tumbleweed. And that is a rolling release that refreshes much software every time. Thus not updating for some time lets things accumulate of course.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I assume it was your decision to use Tumbleweed. And that is a rolling release that refreshes much software every time. Thus not updating for some time lets things accumulate of course.
    Oh yes, definitely. I specifically went with TW because it's a rolling release. It was just surprising there were so many updates. The most I had ever seen before was around 200.
    Tumbleweed on a Dell Inspiron 15 - 5578

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,582
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverclipper View Post
    Oh yes, definitely. I specifically went with TW because it's a rolling release. It was just surprising there were so many updates. The most I had ever seen before was around 200.
    You should have seen it when TW move to a new GCC version; (almost ) all packages got rebuilt ....
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,169
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: zypper dup wants me to change vendor on one package

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverclipper View Post
    Do I need to remove that package and then reinstall again from Packman? As I understand it, I don't want to change vendors Packman --> openSUSE, correct?
    I used to update with "zypper dup".

    These days, I am using "zypper dup --allow-vendor-change". That way, I don't get prompted for those vendor changes.

    I only have standard repos and packman. And I have set priorities so that packman is always preferred. So if there is a vendor change away from packman, there must be a good reason for it.

    And, yes, I know there's a setting that I can use for allowing vendor change. In practice, most of the time "zypper dup" by itself works. And if a vendor change is really needed, it will give a conflict resolution dialog. At that stage, I bail out, then use "zypper dup --allow-vendor-change".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •