Thread: rpm error with update

Default rpm error with update

I'm trying to update tumbleweed, but I get a lot of reports that the rpm packages are not okay. Is this in the repositories or is it my tumbleweed installation?

thank you in advance

Gerrit Jan

Default Re: rpm error with update

That's rather vague a little more information would be useful.

How are you performing the update?

What is the *actual* error message(s) you are seeing?

And a list of your enabled repositories may help also
    Code:
    sudo zypper lr -d
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GJElde View Post
    I'm trying to update tumbleweed,
    How??????
    Quote Originally Posted by GJElde View Post
    I
    but I get a lot of reports that the rpm packages are not okay. I
    What do the reports say.??????

In short, we are not clairvoyant, and we can not know what you do not tell or show us.
    Henk van Velden

It does not matter what I use, yast software management or dvd with upgrade or zypper ref && zypper dup.
    I get this immediately by installing zypper ref && zypper dup.
    And that will happen, so I stop.
    hope i do code well, always forget ....

Code:
    Checking for file conflicts: ........................................................................................................................................................................................................[error]
    Detected 2 file conflicts:                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

File /usr/bin/par2                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
      from install of                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
         par-0.6.14-1.4.x86_64 (Hoofd-installatiebron (opensource))                                                                                               
      conflicts with file from package                                                                                                                            
         par2cmdline-0.4-4.32.x86_64 (@System)                                                                                                                    

File /usr/share/man/man1/par2.1.gz                                                                                                                            
      from install of                                                                                                                                             
         par-0.6.14-1.4.x86_64 (Hoofd-installatiebron (opensource))                                                                                               
      conflicts with file from package                                                                                                                            
         par2cmdline-0.4-4.32.x86_64 (@System)                                                                                                                    

File conflicts happen when two packages attempt to install files with the same name but different contents. If you continue, conflicting files will be replace
    Continue? [yes/no] (no): yes                                                                                                                                  

(   1/1097) Removing ktp-accounts-kcm-lang-17.08.1-1.6.noarch ..........................................................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:
    error: db4 error(-30986) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: error(-30986) getting "System/Localization" records from Group index: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found

(   2/1097) Installing: digikam-doc-5.7.0-2.1.noarch ...................................................................................................[done]
    (   3/1097) Installing: dolphin-part-lang-17.08.1-1.1.noarch ..........................................................................................[error]
    Installation of dolphin-part-lang-17.08.1-1.1.noarch failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: db4 error(-30986) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: error(-30986) getting "System/Localization" records from Group index: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: dolphin-part-lang-17.08.1-1.1.noarch: install failed
    error: dolphin-part-lang-17.08.1-115.24.noarch: erase skipped

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
    Problem occurred during or after installation or removal of packages:
    Installation aborted by user
    Please see the above error message for a hint.
    linux-meip:~ # zypper ref && zypper dup

And where is the
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    also asked for?

And please, you use Tumbleweed. So do not try to update with YaST.
    Also using the DVD (which one) I do not understand.

Only update Tumbleweed with
    Code:
    zypper dup
    and of course you may do
    Code:
    zypper ref && zypper dup
    but using the defaults, the refresh is done automatically.

And please when posting those things between CODE tags make it as complete as possible: the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.
    Now, for a reason unknown to me, you have the prompt with the command at the end????
    Henk van Velden

solved, just search in the forum.

Code:
    zypper clean --all
    rpmdb --rebuilddb

That is fine! Congratulations.

Please do only update Tumbleweed with zypper dup. Else you could get these sort of problems again.
    Henk van Velden

In addition to henk's advice.

Yes,
    Code:
    error: db4 error(-30986) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    is an indicator of a corrupt RPM database.

Prior to rebuilding it is advisable to first, at least, verify the integrity of the "Packages" file (all using root priveledges):

To avoid any "stale locks" first
    Code:
    cd /var/lib/rpm
    rm -f __db*
    and then verify the integrity of the "Packages" file
    Code:
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages
    Providing there are no errors, then rebuild the database
    Code:
    rpm -v --rebuilddb
    The full recovery process is detailed here: http://rpm.org/user_doc/db_recovery.html
    Regards, Paul

Thumbs up Re: rpm error with update

Paul, thanks for your solution, performed without problems.

Gerrit Jan