Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

  1. #1

    Default kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    with KDE 4 things where simple, I installed aspell I needed, no language packages for KDE, I could set regional setting to what I wanted,
    I had a english UI, regional settings I wanted, and spell checker I needed.

    With KDE5 is sucks like it does in Windows.
    When I set regional settings, all the sudden the whole UI language changes, I did not ask for that.

    And for getting spell checker, I need to set preferred languages, what I did

    English
    German
    Swedish

    in this order

    so why do I have German zypper messages?

    this is so unbelievable stupid, it worked so good with kde 2/3/4 and 5 messed all up. why?

    I want a english UI
    swedish date time and numbers (regional settings)
    and english/german/sedish spell checker,

    why is it all the sudden super complex to get this and it does not work when it was super simple and it worked great?

    what do I have to do that I have the settings I want? Please help

    why are all konsole messages and help text from programs german when echo $LANG gives me en_US.UTF-8 ?

  2. #2

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    edit , I removed the preferred languages German an Swedish since they are not required for the spell checking, it seems installing aspell and than log out / in is enough.

    now my help messages on the console are english again, but my UI is in mixed language , English and German, how is this possible? (yes, I logged out/in)




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,270

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    I am afraid that people here can not answer your questions. There are several threads here were people air their frustration about not being able to get their environment as they had it for years (search e.g. for: display date in ISO).

    The best place to go is IMHO: https://forum.kde.org/
    or even: https://bugs.kde.org/
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,566

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    Quote Originally Posted by a4z View Post
    When I set regional settings, all the sudden the whole UI language changes, I did not ask for that.

    And for getting spell checker, I need to set preferred languages, what I did

    English
    German
    Swedish

    I want a english UI
    swedish date time and numbers (regional settings)
    and english/german/sedish spell checker,
    Yes, yes, KDE Plasma 5 is not the same as KD4 Plasma -- especially with respect to Spell Checking.
    And, applications such as Firefox complicate the issue . . .
    1. Make sure that the dictionary for your wished for language is installed -- 'aspell' and/or 'ispell' for KDE and 'myspell' for Firefox.
    2. Right click in the text entry part of the active window and select "automatic spell checking" and the preferred language language -- alternatively, press the "Menu key" (keyboard lower right, to the left of the right hand "Ctrl" key).
    3. Be aware that, KDE applications such as KMail2 automatically change the spell checking language on a sentence by sentence basis, assuming that, the appropriate dictionaries are installed -- type an English sentence, and then a German sentence, and then a Swedish sentence -- the Spell Checker will automatically select the correct language for each sentence being typed.


    Quote Originally Posted by a4z View Post
    why are all konsole messages and help text from programs german when echo $LANG gives me en_US.UTF-8 ?
    Users should always set their preferred language in the "~/.profile" file:
    Code:
    # Most applications support several languages for their output.
    # To make use of this feature, simply uncomment one of the lines below or
    # add your own one (see /usr/share/locale/locale.alias for more codes)
    # This overwrites the system default set in /etc/sysconfig/language
    # in the variable RC_LANG.
    #
    #export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 # uncomment this line for German output
    #export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for French output
    #export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Spanish output
    On this German (system) language machine I have Test users which use the default KDE User set-ups, including an English language user with "export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8" activated in the "~/.profile" file -- works a treat . . .

  5. #5

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am afraid that people here can not answer your questions. There are several threads here were people air their frustration about not being able to get their environment as they had it for years (search e.g. for: display date in ISO).

    The best place to go is IMHO: https://forum.kde.org/
    or even: https://bugs.kde.org/
    thanks, i will consider registering on these places and provide my feedback there an option

  6. #6

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Yes, yes, KDE Plasma 5 is not the same as KD4 Plasma -- especially with respect to Spell Checking.
    And, applications such as Firefox complicate the issue . . .
    no problem with firefox,

    that I needed to log out and in with KDE to be able select a newly installed word books is windoresk.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Users should always set their preferred language in the "~/.profile" file:
    [CODE]
    . . .
    as written, my LANG is and was en_US.UTF-8, what makes it twice surprising that KDE shows me German text

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,566

    Lightbulb Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    Quote Originally Posted by a4z View Post
    as written, my LANG is and was en_US.UTF-8, what makes it twice surprising that KDE shows me German text
    Then, the issue is, possibly, in the KDE "System Settings" -->> "Personalization" -->> "Regional Settings" -->> "Language" -->> "Preferred Languages:"

  8. #8

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Then, the issue is, possibly, in the KDE "System Settings" -->> "Personalization" -->> "Regional Settings" -->> "Language" -->> "Preferred Languages:"
    there have been multiple languages but in order, english german swedish, but than I removed german and swedish after my console messages changes languages,

    there is a own LANGUAGE environment variable KDE sets, it was to the 3 languages when the germal konsole messages apperar, but no idea why, German was in the middle of those languages, no idea why the gui was still english while konsole messages became german. this is maybe a bug.
    and why later the gui had dual languages ... software :-)

    now, after some days, and removing the additional languages, all non English texts are gone, so maybe just some caching issue with stuff in /var ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,566

    Default Re: kde5 spellcheck in multiple languages and other language issues

    Quote Originally Posted by a4z View Post
    so maybe just some caching issue with stuff in /var ?
    More likely in '~/.cache/" . . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •