Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: /dev/dvd missing

Default /dev/dvd missing

Since upgrading to 42.3 I have been missing /dev/dvd which vlc expects. I have a dvd as /dev/sr1 (and a cd as /dev/sr0). I can create a soft link but it goes away on the next boot. What am I missing?

Default Re: /dev/dvd missing

Quote Originally Posted by jpff View Post
    Since upgrading to 42.3 I have been missing /dev/dvd which vlc expects. I have a dvd as /dev/sr1 (and a cd as /dev/sr0). I can create a soft link but it goes away on the next boot. What am I missing?
    afaik you're not missing anything those are device link points not mount points and are hardcoded in the kernel you can create links to them but you shouldn't as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 are the defaults if you have 2 optical drives it doesn't matter if they're CD or DVD drives, plasma 5 mounts them automatically when a disk is inserted I can't remember the mount point and I'm too lzay to find a disk to mount so I can see where it gets mounted as I haven't had the need to use any optical media in years
    maybe you can open a bug report regarding vlc's need of /dev/dvd just keep in mind that vlc is developed by videolan and the people at opensuse and packman only compile it they don't touch vlc's source code

Please show what your system has created for you now. Thus before you create symlinks yourself
    Code:
    ls -l /dev | grep sr
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    afaik you're not missing anything those are device link points not mount points and are hardcoded in the kernel you can create links to them but you shouldn't as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 are the defaults if you have 2 optical drives it doesn't matter if they're CD or DVD drives, plasma 5 mounts them automatically when a disk is inserted I can't remember the mount point and I'm too lzay to find a disk to mount so I can see where it gets mounted as I haven't had the need to use any optical media in years
    maybe you can open a bug report regarding vlc's need of /dev/dvd just keep in mind that vlc is developed by videolan and the people at opensuse and packman only compile it they don't touch vlc's source code

What is Plasma 5?

Perhaps i will add a custom soft link in the boot process

Blog Entries

I know that /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-cdrom_id.rules is responsible for creating the symlinks (eg /dev/dvd) for the first optical device /dev/sr0
    Code:
    KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
    KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="1", SYMLINK+="cdrom", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
    KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_CD_RW}=="1", SYMLINK+="cdrw", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
    KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD}=="1", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
    KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD_RW}=="1", SYMLINK+="dvdrw", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
    However, for those few that actually have more than one optical device, it is possible to create custom rules (to override the defaults) if you wish to create a symlink (/dev/dvd) linked to a particular device node.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Please show what your system has created for you now. Thus before you create symlinks yourself
    Code:
    ls -l /dev | grep sr

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 1 2002 cdrom -> sr0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 1 2002 cdrw -> sr0
    brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jan 1 2002 sr0
    brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 1 Jan 1 2002 sr1

Thanks.

Like @deano_ferrari says, all in /dev is created by ude. Making symlinks yourself is not a good solution. We have to find out why the dvd symlink is not created by the udev rules. Maybe it can not decide which of both sr0 and srr1 to take. Or both devices specs found do not cover DVD capability.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Thanks.

Like @deano_ferrari says, all in /dev is created by ude. Making symlinks yourself is not a good solution. We have to find out why the dvd symlink is not created by the udev rules. Maybe it can not decide which of both sr0 and srr1 to take. Or both devices specs found do not cover DVD capability.
    Yes, the udev rules provided by default only generate symlinks specifically for /dev/sr0. It's easy enough to tweak for multiple devices though.

What is Plasma 5?

Perhaps i will add a custom soft link in the boot process
    Plasma 5 is kde5's desktop environment
    KDE 5 was split into 3 projects: the kf5 (KDE Frameworks 5) libraries, the KDE 5 applications and the Plasma 5 desktop (the kde4 desktop was also called Plasma but it wasn't a separate project)
    I haven't noticed any issues with DVD playback but then again I haven't tried playing a Disk, my point was when inserting a new storage device the Plasma 5 desktop should give you a choice of actions for DVD video's one of said actions should be to play the video in vlc or dragon or kaffeine

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    Plasma 5 is kde5's desktop environment
    KDE 5 was split into 3 projects: the kf5 (KDE Frameworks 5) libraries, the KDE 5 applications and the Plasma 5 desktop (the kde4 desktop was also called Plasma but it wasn't a separate project)
    I haven't noticed any issues with DVD playback but then again I haven't tried playing a Disk, my point was when inserting a new storage device the Plasma 5 desktop should give you a choice of actions for DVD video's one of said actions should be to play the video in vlc or dragon or kaffeine
    Thanks; as I do not run KDE (or Gnome) there was no reason for me to know that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast