Unexpected message when doing zypper up

I just tried a zypper up on my KDE Plasma TW system having updated only a couple of days ago and now see over 900 packages to update plus a warning saying

Product 'openSUSE Tumbleweed' requires to be updated by calling 'zypper dup'

now I’ve never had this before and zypper dup will try to move all the stuff from other repos like packman back to normal I presume which I dont want.

Any ideas as to why this is needed?

Stuart

For TW zypper dup is the only way to update. default is now no vendor change

Well I have only ever done a zypper up before and it never complained. I just started a zypper dup and now it wants to do

Problem: problem with installed package libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-4.14.x86_64                                                                                                                                 
 Solution 1: install libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-1.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
  http://packman.links2linux.de  -->  openSUSE

So it will downlevel this and python2-cairo (listed after I selected 1 to above).

How come I have never had this issue before and always done zypper up? Is this a new requirement?

Stuart

Have you done a full vendor change to packman prior to running zypper dup?

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/fa72ba3d

How come I have never had this issue before and always done zypper up?

Luck ??

Is this a new requirement?

Not a new requirement per se, just “enforcing” how Tumbleweed is meant to be updated, ie zypper dup.

A couple of afterthoughts…

First: zypper (on TW) recently changed the default to “no allow vendor change”, I don’t know how that was implemented, but… if it was via it’s *.conf file, and, you had made changes to that, there may be a *.rpmnew and zypper is still using it’s old default.

try an explicit “zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change”

Second: are the packages that zypper wants to change vendor Packman -> openSUSE still in the packman repo. (I had a similar thing a while back when some lame packages were removed from Packman).

So this warning was added to zypper recently precisely to warn users who “only ever do zypper up”.

So it will downlevel this

No, it won’t. It was explained so many times, here and on mailing lists …