Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI boot from software raid1

Default EFI boot from software raid1

I'm planning a leap42.3 installation. I'm not new to linux nor openSUSE, but it's the first time i'm using a UEFI firmware.
    In my typical partition layout there are two identical disks

raid1 -> /boot
    raid1 -> encrypted swap
    raid1 -> LVM -> root
    raid1 -> LVM -> home
    raid1 -> LVM -> var
    ...other data partitions...
    With bios and mbr the trick to have a system capable of booting with a failed disks is to have a separate raid1 device with /boot and with grub installed on both MBR. Yast in the most recent versions was able to do the trick automatically.

Googling around I understood that the /boot/efi partition, which contains the bootloader in a UEFI system, cannot be a raid1 device, instead it must be a plain VFAT partition, otherwise the UEFI bios cannot detect and boot the bootloader.
    So my question now is, how can I build a fully redundant system which is capable to boot with a failed disks, using GPT and pure UEFI bios ? yast does not have, apparently, any options to manage a redundant /boot/efi
    I've read several articles and posts on this topic without finding a definitive answer. Most of the solutions i found are based on a manual copy of the /boot/efi partition on to the secondary disk into an identical empty partition (dd or cp -a).
    Those kind of solutions seems very fragile because you have to manually resynchronize the "secondary" EFI partition after grub package update, kernel upgrade and ... (what else ???)

There is an official opneSUSE way to do this ? any experiences ?

Thank you very much

Default Re: EFI boot from software raid1

Need to have the EFI boot partition outside of any LVM, If you don't want to redo your partitions you can still use MBR boot ie legacy. Boot installer in legacy mode and do as you always have.

You must have EFI boot if drive is larger then 2 gig or you multi-boot and the other OS boot EFI. ie all OS must use the same boot method.

Note you have a strange LVM set up generally you have one LVM with all other partitions as sub volumes. Not wrong just strange

Blog Entries

It is almost (but not quite) automatic.

Okay, I don't use RAID, and I have no way of testing this -- well, I suppose that I could remove a disk.

I have two hard drives. I created an EFI partition on each drive.

I am only using the EFI partition on "/dev/sda". But I occasionally copy the content of that to the EFI partition on "/dev/sdb" (using "rsync").

Looking at the EFI partition on "/dev/sda". In the directory "/EFI/boot" (relative to the EFI partition), I see two files. They are "bootx64.efi" and "fallback.efi". They were actually put there by openSUSE install (but not if Windows is already using that directory). And they are maintained by opensuse updates. Those two files have a Jul 22 date, due to a recent update.

The file "bootx64.efi" is actually identical to "shim.efi" that is in the "/EFI/opensuse" directory. And the file "fallback.efi" comes from "/usr/lib64/efi".

The "bootx64.efi" in that "/EFI/boot" directory is supposed to be called by the firmware as either a boot choice from the BIOS boot menu, or as a fallback if all else fails. And if it finds "fallback.efi" it is supposed to call that. In turn, "fallback.efi" is supposed to look at other directories in the EFI partition, and if it finds a file "boot.csv" it is supposed to use that to recreate boot entries.

I've actually seen that work with "/dev/sda", but I haven't tested on "/boot/sdb".

If "/dev/sda" fails, then my assumption is that the firmware (BIOS) should try to boot "/dev/sdb", which should find that "bootx64.efi" and "fallback.efi" and recover.

Hmm, it does occur to me that the fallback support may only be installed if you install "secure-boot" support.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If "/dev/sda" fails, then my assumption is that the firmware (BIOS) should try to boot "/dev/sdb"
    No, firmware will not try anything that is not defined in EFI boot manager configuration (which is managed by efibootmgr). So to have ESP redundancy you also need to add boot item that points to (files on) this second ESP.

Otherwise your approach is correct. The way to have redundant EFI boot is to have second ESP with identical content. To my best knowledge nobody implemented complete solution so far (once upon a time there was a company that offered this for Windows and Linux on Itanium). I suppose it could be done by adding custom RPM with triggers on grub2-efi package as proof of concept.

In principle it is possible to create RAID1 with metadata at the end of partition, but a) I am not sure whether grub2 will accept it and b) ESP is writable by firmware, and firmware is not aware of Linux MD, so you risk getting two mirror pieces out of sync - which will at some point be disastrous for filesystem.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Need to have the EFI boot partition outside of any LVM, If you don't want to redo your partitions you can still use MBR boot ie legacy. Boot installer in legacy mode and do as you always have.

You must have EFI boot if drive is larger then 2 gig or you multi-boot and the other OS boot EFI. ie all OS must use the same boot method.

Note you have a strange LVM set up generally you have one LVM with all other partitions as sub volumes. Not wrong just strange
    Do you you think that booting in legacy mode does not limit me in anyway? (linux is the only installed system, no windows) Pci device with their own uefi firmware are not impacted? Overall performance? Can i add to the system disks larger then 2 TB (non boot) with gpt on it ? (I think yes, the problem with legacy bios should be only with the boot disks)
    Regarding my lvm configuration i described it in a too cryptic way...I have one volume group over raid1 device. Inside this volume group I have several logical volumes

It is almost (but not quite) automatic.

Okay, I don't use RAID, and I have no way of testing this -- well, I suppose that I could remove a disk.

I have two hard drives. I created an EFI partition on each drive.

I am only using the EFI partition on "/dev/sda". But I occasionally copy the content of that to the EFI partition on "/dev/sdb" (using "rsync").

Looking at the EFI partition on "/dev/sda". In the directory "/EFI/boot" (relative to the EFI partition), I see two files. They are "bootx64.efi" and "fallback.efi". They were actually put there by openSUSE install (but not if Windows is already using that directory). And they are maintained by opensuse updates. Those two files have a Jul 22 date, due to a recent update.

The file "bootx64.efi" is actually identical to "shim.efi" that is in the "/EFI/opensuse" directory. And the file "fallback.efi" comes from "/usr/lib64/efi".

The "bootx64.efi" in that "/EFI/boot" directory is supposed to be called by the firmware as either a boot choice from the BIOS boot menu, or as a fallback if all else fails. And if it finds "fallback.efi" it is supposed to call that. In turn, "fallback.efi" is supposed to look at other directories in the EFI partition, and if it finds a file "boot.csv" it is supposed to use that to recreate boot entries.

I've actually seen that work with "/dev/sda", but I haven't tested on "/boot/sdb".

If "/dev/sda" fails, then my assumption is that the firmware (BIOS) should try to boot "/dev/sdb", which should find that "bootx64.efi" and "fallback.efi" and recover.

Hmm, it does occur to me that the fallback support may only be installed if you install "secure-boot" support.
    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    No, firmware will not try anything that is not defined in EFI boot manager configuration (which is managed by efibootmgr). So to have ESP redundancy you also need to add boot item that points to (files on) this second ESP.

Otherwise your approach is correct. The way to have redundant EFI boot is to have second ESP with identical content. To my best knowledge nobody implemented complete solution so far (once upon a time there was a company that offered this for Windows and Linux on Itanium). I suppose it could be done by adding custom RPM with triggers on grub2-efi package as proof of concept.

In principle it is possible to create RAID1 with metadata at the end of partition, but a) I am not sure whether grub2 will accept it and b) ESP is writable by firmware, and firmware is not aware of Linux MD, so you risk getting two mirror pieces out of sync - which will at some point be disastrous for filesystem.
    This is also my conclusion (after a couple of hours of googling), copying esp partition to the second disk is the only practial solution for now, but i'm surprised that no distro has managed this in an automated way.

MBR boot is fine. You can have other drives greater. It is a basic limit of MBR and FAT partitioning. Also you can have GPT partitioning and do MBR but there is some limit on where boot partitions live. I've forgotten the limit. Probably under 1 TB

There are 3 ways to implement RAID FAKE (BIOS assisted), Software, AND true hardware. True is transparent to the OS the control presents the array to the OS as a single drive. FAKE uses a cheap, usually on the MB, chip to assist on boot but then it is software under OS control.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    MBR boot is fine. You can have other drives greater. It is a basic limit of MBR and FAT partitioning. Also you can have GPT partitioning and do MBR but there is some limit on where boot partitions live. I've forgotten the limit. Probably under 1 TB

There are 3 ways to implement RAID FAKE (BIOS assisted), Software, AND true hardware. True is transparent to the OS the control presents the array to the OS as a single drive. FAKE uses a cheap, usually on the MB, chip to assist on boot but then it is software under OS control.
    Hi,
    i'm referring to linux software raid (the one you manage with mdadm). True hardware raid of course do not pose any problem because both UEFI bios and the OS see only one EFI partition. I've never used fake raid, i think software raid is far superior and less error prone.

It seems like all major distros have ignored the problem until now and this really surprise me.
    I found this interesting thread on the Debian mailing list:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-efi/.../msg00016.html
    As you can see someone has started to work on a solution but, unfortunately, does not have enough time to complete his job. Another interesting thing is the manual approach he proposes: grub-install + efibootmgr

It would be nice to determine at least the right command line options for grub-install in order to manually manage a double (triple, quadruple ...) ESP partition in a standard leap 42.3 installation. Someone would like to help?
    efibootmgr instead is a mistery for me. I've never correctly understood why it is needed. On my machine if i attach a disk (or usb device or DVD) with an ESP partition on it, automatically it appears on the bootable device list. what am i missing ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    No, firmware will not try anything that is not defined in EFI boot manager configuration (which is managed by efibootmgr).
    Yet, somehow, I am able to boot the openSUSE installer on a USB flash drive, even though that flash drive is not defined in the EFI boot manager configuration.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Yet, somehow, I am able to boot the openSUSE installer on a USB flash drive, even though that flash drive is not defined in the EFI boot manager configuration.
    Yes, strictly speaking fallback \EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi is defined for removable drives, so this is normal and firmware is expected to offer boot "from USB" while actually attempting to load this file from removable device. For true HDD it is implementation defined. Also, I meant replicating ESP including \EFI\opensuse directory, and this directory is definitely not used by default.

I further investigated, with the aim to find a reliable enough procedure to obtain a bootable machine in case of a degraded RAID1 with the /boot/efi partition lost with the broken disk.
    The best procedure i was able to create is:

during the installation:
    1) both disk with the same partition schema so both disks with an EFI vfat partition at the beginning, WITHOUT raid
    2) one partition is mounted as the official /boot/efi, the other one is generically mounted as /boot/efi2 (the mount point is not important)
    3) disable secure boot (i don't think this is strictly necessary, in my case secure boot was not needed, so disabling it has had the only positive effect to reduce the complexity and the number of files inside the EFI partition)
    4) install the system

after the first boot
    5) cp -av /boot/efi/* /boot/efi2/ (if you disable secureboot the only file to be copied is /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi)
    6) edit /etc/fstab and add the nofail option to the /boot/efi/ partition. This is necessary because dracut refuse to boot if a partition without the nofail option is not available and drop you into an emergency shell. (for the same reasons you should add the nofail option also to all partitions on the same disks which are not raided)
    7) issue a dracut --force. This is necessary because you need to import your modified fstab into the initrd image

reboot the system and you are ready to simulate a failed disks. The system should be able to boot without any manual intervention whatever is the broken disk

The optimal solution, in my opinion, should be to manage the double copy of the EFI partition automatically by the yast installer and by dracut and grub packages

Just to share, in the hope this can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast