hp 5740 just prints blank pages

Opensuse Leap 42.3 Fresh install
Added hplip-hpijs, hplip

Yast printing found the printer which at the time was connected through USB to the acer. Prior to connecting the acer to the internet the customer had her phone company configure the printer in wireless mode to function with the ADSL modem and other pc’s in the house have no trouble connecting to it from the modem wirelessly… The phone company said that the only way to use the printer on the acer was to connect the Acer to the modem by nic cable and the printer by USB to the pc. They further said Linux is not supported so she should change to windows 10. Some people just are too unknowlegable.

So Yast sees the printer and says all is well. Cups see’s the printer and is using a ghostscript ppd but anything sent to the printer reports job complete after 1-10 blank pages come out of the printer depending on what is to be printed. Tried to do set-up of the hplip using hp-setup in a terminal and it wants the ipp address of the printer which we can’t find out what it is or where to look. hp-discovery mode can’t find the USB printer, can’t find any network printers, can’t find any wifi printers. What to do? Delete all printers defines in cups, edit etc files to remove printer defines for lpp, is there some group we must belong to - to print?, Is the driver wrong? It is just a dumb printer/scan/fax.

Can someone please tell me how to configure this in a way I can explain to a person 3000 miles away who doesn’t understand pc’s much. Back in 11.2 we were able to get a lexmark, an epson, a cannon and a panasonic all done in each case through CUPS in seconds using parport/serial/USB as needed.

Acer E1 -572-6660 Laptop
Intel core i5 - 4 cores 6GB ram 1000GB hdd
Inel graphics hd 4400

HP Officejet 5740 printer connects wireless to two other pc’s without trouble

1. You may want to start with removing the existing HP printer configuration at least. You can do that graphically using a browser
http://localhost:631/printers

Click on the printer concerned, then Administration > Delete Printer…

1. A client firewall on the openSUSE machine can prevent discovery of a network-connected device, so I would recommend turning that off (if applicable) while configuring anyway.
sudo systemctl stop SuSEfirewall2

then try running ‘hp-setup’ like this

xdg-su -c  hp-setup
  1. In general, a good way to scan a subnet for a printer-like device might be to use nmap and observe ports being listened on. For example, foa 192.168.1.0/24 network…
nmap 192.168.1.1/24

At the very least I’d expect to see port 9100 open on the device pertaining the printer.

1. For a USB-connected HP device, the hp backend should find the attached device and report it
sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp

Again, the ‘hp-setup’ utility should provide the means to configure with CUPS.

You may want to email some of these commands to the end-user so that they get the syntax correct.

some thoughts,

as pages are exiting the printer, this implies the printer address is correcly detected,
so either,

• the printer driver has been incorrectly selected, or
  • the .ppt file incorrect selected, or
  • the page format is not recognised by the .ppt

if the first two points have been cleared try printing the file to a file
and select a page format that is known to the printer, then try printing
the new file

often files down loaded have a “user define” format, its not unknown for such files not to print

Step one worked as you said

1. A client firewall on the openSUSE machine can prevent discovery of a network-connected device, so I would recommend turning that off (if applicable) while configuring anyway.
sudo systemctl stop SuSEfirewall2

then try running ‘hp-setup’ like this

xdg-su -c  hp-setup

sudo to shut off SuSEfirewall2 did not work but login as root and use superuser terminal allowed stopping the firewall.
— it said that switch user to root not allowed, logout and back in as root then use a superuser terminal.

After much fighting with syntax she finally got it right but no devices were found under network,USB, wifi, wifi with temp USB or manual. We tried both with USB connected and un-connected.

1. In general, a good way to scan a subnet for a printer-like device might be to use nmap and observe ports being listened on. For example, foa 192.168.1.0/24 network…
nmap 192.168.1.1/24

At the very least I’d expect to see port 9100 open on the device pertaining the printer.

nmap was not part of the installed files so ‘su zypper install nmap’ allowed us to get the missing program. Then ran nmap and saw
631 CUPS ipp
9100 hp jetdirect 192.168.1.6
there was a corresponding message at the bottom about found 4 addresses to do with 192.168.1.1/6 in 12 seconds
retried hp-setup 192.168.1.6, then .5 then .4 then .3 then .2 then .1 then .0 and all complained no devices
on a hunch tried network connections and found two wifi connections inactive and one cabled connection active. The two wifi inactives were for
hp-direct-jetdirect 5740 and her fairpoint adsl modem/wireless router. hp jetdirect was a no-go but the fairpoint finally worked after fighting with KnetworkManager about passwords. Once connected to fairpoint using hp-setup came up with hp_officejet_5740_series:192.168.1.2 found and then the screen just closed. Tried to print a page and it said no printer, so went into cups and tried to add a printer and it found the hp_officejet_5740_series and we had a choice of using hp-jetdiect or hp-5740-cups (not sure of wording as I am relaying) Point is it now prints properly in all apps, both when connected by USB or by Wifi. only thing I had to do make sure printer sharing was on or other pc’s would loose ability to print.

Not sure how that works cuz other printers were able to print with acer on or off but now they can only print when sharing is set on at the acer then they can print with acer on or off.

1. For a USB-connected HP device, the hp backend should find the attached device and report it
sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp

Again, the ‘hp-setup’ utility should provide the means to configure with CUPS.

You may want to email some of these commands to the end-user so that they get the syntax correct.

Set-up did supply ability to configure with cups but no valid devices could be found until we connected to fairpoint and rerun the hp-setup only this time it just flashed us a message about it finding the printer before closing.

Thanks a lot real big help here

I’m not sure why using ‘sudo systemctl stop SuSEfirewall2’ didn’t work as intended, but becoming root in a terminal is okay as well.

there was a corresponding message at the bottom about found 4 addresses to do with 192.168.1.1/6 in 12 seconds
retried hp-setup 192.168.1.6, then .5 then .4 then .3 then .2 then .1 then .0 and all complained no devices
on a hunch tried network connections and found two wifi connections inactive and one cabled connection active. The two wifi inactives were for
hp-direct-jetdirect 5740 and her fairpoint adsl modem/wireless router. hp jetdirect was a no-go but the fairpoint finally worked after fighting with KnetworkManager about passwords. Once connected to fairpoint using hp-setup came up with hp_officejet_5740_series:192.168.1.2 found and then the screen just closed. Tried to print a page and it said no printer, so went into cups and tried to add a printer and it found the hp_officejet_5740_series and we had a choice of using hp-jetdiect or hp-5740-cups (not sure of wording as I am relaying) Point is it now prints properly in all apps, both when connected by USB or by Wifi. only thing I had to do make sure printer sharing was on or other pc’s would loose ability to print.

Not sure how that works cuz other printers were able to print with acer on or off but now they can only print when sharing is set on at the acer then they can print with acer on or off.

No sure why ‘hp-setup’ didn’t work here. Hard to know without being in front of the machine in question, but good to know that you were successful using the CUPS web interface anyway. The printer sharing is only relevant when a local USB-attached printer needs to be shared on the LAN. A network-connected printer should be able to be found by any client on the same network.

Set-up did supply ability to configure with cups but no valid devices could be found until we connected to fairpoint and rerun the hp-setup only this time it just flashed us a message about it finding the printer before closing.

Which desktop environment? That probably needs investigating further.

You could also try launching it with

su - -c "hp-setup"

as per the wiki page.