Thread: luks encryption

Default luks encryption

Hi
    I am trying to create an encrypted luks partition on my system. My first attempt worked, but the next time I wanted to use the encrypted partition
    I didn't work, I later found that the name i called it was missing from the /dev/mapper/ directory.

So I started again after wiping the partition, I went through the process when it come to formatting mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/name
    I got this message

"Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified or partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk due to a modified partition being busy and in us. You need to reboot to reread your partition table."

Questions
    Why does the file disappearing from the mapper directory?
    fdisk shows that it is a valid partition the size is not zero. I did reread the partition with the 'w' and rebooted the computer, any ideas?

Thank you for your help

Default Re: luks encryption

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero01 View Post
    Hi
    So I started again after wiping the partition, I went through the process when it come to formatting mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/name
    I got this message

Why does the file disappearing from the mapper directory?
    fdisk shows that it is a valid partition the size is not zero. I did reread the partition with the 'w' and rebooted the computer, any ideas?
    There is not enough information here to pinpoint a problem. How did you create the partition, what commands did you use to encrypt and open it etc?

What is the partition type? Is it lvm or a plain partition? What happens when you luksOpen it? A name missing from /dev/mapper usually means that the device/partition was not opened with that name, if it was opened at all.

Code:
    cryptsetup -v isLuks /dev/<partition>
    cryptsetup -v luksDump /dev/<partition>
    cryptsetup -v status <name>
    cryptsetup -v luksOpen /dev/<partition> <name>
    cryptsetup -v status <name>

Default Re: luks encryption

Thanks, markdd I have solved the problem