Very slow and laggy desktop animation in Gnome 3 (Tumbleweed)

Hi,

I just installed Tumbleweed with Gnome environment and experiencing very slow and unpleasant desktop animations.
My laptop is fairly new with good spec and I had very good experience with Kubuntu (KDE environment).

I tried to edit my VGA setting, but didn’t find any setting for my Radeon GPU;

Also the Output of *** lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA:***

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Carrizo [1002:9874] (rev c5)
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:06bd]
    Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
    Kernel modules: amdgpu

PS: I have a Dell inspiron 15 5555;
GPU: AMD Radeon R6
CPU : AMD A10 8700P / 1.8 GHz
Ram : 12 GB
SSD : Sandisk 1 TB

Hi
I have the same model with a A8-7410 2.20 Ghz CPU, 8GB RAM when i did have Tumbleweed on it, wasn’t laggy… How do you mean animations? Switching to overview etc? You shouldn’t have to tweak anything with respect to the amdgpu driver. The system is not running tracker and indexing things, any coredump (as root user coredumpctl list).

Hi Malcomlewis and thanks for your reply,

By animation i mean window transition, showing all applications, minimizing windows and …
in KDE we could change some settings like openGL versions and …, so there’s nothing to do in Gnome 3, right?

THanks

Hi
Is this running the proprietary amdgpu-pro driver, or the oss one?

By default your running Wayland (Check System Settings -> Details), so you could try switching back to Xorg and see if that improves your system.

Hi, I can confirm choppy animations in gnome. My machine is i7 with 8Gb ram so it should handle gnome quite easy. I’ve installed TW few days ago and did some tests. My conclusions are that when i plug power source, lag is gone, so it is probably TLP related? But some time ago i Had gnome 3.24 on ths machine (also TW) and everything was ok.

I’ve edited

/etc/default/tlp

and changed the line:

CPU_HWP_ON_BAT=balance_power

to:

CPU_HWP_ON_BAT=balance_performance

becouse my animations were choppy only on battery, i thought it must be related to powersaving settings. Now everything is back to normal.

I’ve rechecked power consumption by powertop and everything looks ok, so it should be safe.
For me problem is gone.